Jump to content

Eamon O’Carroll resigns as Newcastle Head Coach


Recommended Posts


From a Thunder point of view, obviously disappointed it hasn't worked out for whatever reason.

However I still think that this project is exciting enough to attract some good quality candidates. There's so much potential for growth up here and yes Newcastle will always be a football city, but it's a sports mad city and Thunder being successful will attract more people. For now though it's about putting the foundations in place and getting those right.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Phil W said:

From a Thunder point of view, obviously disappointed it hasn't worked out for whatever reason.

However I still think that this project is exciting enough to attract some good quality candidates. There's so much potential for growth up here and yes Newcastle will always be a football city, but it's a sports mad city and Thunder being successful will attract more people. For now though it's about putting the foundations in place and getting those right.

One thing that shines through, in all the reports from Newcastle is that the base is continually growing.

''Putting the foundations in place''.

It's continually growing because the people there are well aware that it is an essential component in any plan to establish the sport in a new area and have consistently invested time, energy, ingenuity and money into increasing the size of the family from the bottom up.

Good on you blokes. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably a mutual decision. With worries about needing to finish in X position next year and squad to assemble next year.  

Still a genuinely exciting project for most coaches and full time pos.  Not many of those around.  Probably Betts until end of season.  

Could absolutely see Brian Mc putting his hand up if Fev dont go up and saying we need more big cities in SL and fewer small towns/villages...

Edited by ShropshireBull
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Probably a mutual decision. With worries about needing to finish in X position next year and squad to assemble next year.  

Still a genuinely exciting project for most coaches and full time pos.  Not many of those around.  Probably Betts until end of season.  

Could absolutely see Brian Mc putting his hand up if Fev dont go up and saying we need more big cities in SL and fewer small towns/villages...

McDermott's a good coach but Newcastle need a substantial increase in spending by the owner if they're going to challenge the top end of the Championship any time soon. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

McDermott's a good coach but Newcastle need a substantial increase in spending by the owner if they're going to challenge the top end of the Championship any time soon. 

Was said in jest.  Betts and Mac wouldnt be there.  Yes they need to spend more but I imagine short term just about being right side of fence.  Second season ft next year so alot to learn from.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon Chris Thorman. Gateshead-born and a decent coach with a reputation to rebuild. He's been struggling to build a team/get his methods across at Workington and I wouldn't be surprised if he threw his cap into the ring. I also wouldn't be surprised if Workington "reluctantly" let him go.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Was said in jest.  Betts and Mac wouldnt be there.  Yes they need to spend more but I imagine short term just about being right side of fence.  Second season ft next year so alot to learn from.  

It's tight isn't it? Even if we're going to a licensed 2x10, they're only on the cusp. Depends how ruthless the decision makers are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

One thing that shines through, in all the reports from Newcastle is that the base is continually growing.

''Putting the foundations in place''.

It's continually growing because the people there are well aware that it is an essential component in any plan to establish the sport in a new area and have consistently invested time, energy, ingenuity and money into increasing the size of the family from the bottom up.

Good on you blokes. 

I think that in the spirit of wishing these clubs well, there's a danger that we overlook the reality that the base is shrinking not growing.

All the best to them - they are an important project.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I think that in the spirit of wishing these clubs well, there's a danger that we overlook the reality that the base is shrinking not growing.

All the best to them - they are an important project.

That's very interesting. Do you have figures to support this statement? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Probably a mutual decision. With worries about needing to finish in X position next year and squad to assemble next year.  

Still a genuinely exciting project for most coaches and full time pos.  Not many of those around.  Probably Betts until end of season.  

Could absolutely see Brian Mc putting his hand up if Fev dont go up and saying we need more big cities in SL and fewer small towns/villages...

There are no villages or small towns with a SL team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

That's very interesting. Do you have figures to support this statement? 

I'd be interested to see growth on any metric - what did you have in mind? - but I was especially thinking about the community game in the NE when you talked of the base and foundations. The NE men's league has contracted from 9 teams to 6 and something similar seems to have happened in the NE junior leagues. Very happy to be corrected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There are no villages or small towns with a SL team. 

Again, said in jest of Mc changing what is gd for the sport based on his job. Also leigh or fev next season. 

Edited by ShropshireBull
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's tight isn't it? Even if we're going to a licensed 2x10, they're only on the cusp. Depends how ruthless the decision makers are. 

Dont see any club like Newcastle being locked out tbh but sport has made stupid decisions before. 

Problem is who is in charge?  Betts so why would someone senior work their when credit goes to someone else but you get blame for poor results. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I'd be interested to see growth on any metric - what did you have in mind? - but I was especially thinking about the community game in the NE when you talked of the base and foundations. The NE men's league has contracted from 9 teams to 6 and something similar seems to have happened in the NE junior leagues. Very happy to be corrected.

Last time I enquired, someone from the development group told me they keep records of participants and could demonstrate growth in overall participation numbers year on year. I have no current figures. I wonder if anyone involved from the North East would care to enlighten us?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Newcastle have disappointed this year, but that's sport. Arbitrary targets like winning Super League by 2030 I don't think helps.

Ambition is great but there will be setbacks along the way. Think now is the time to consolidate in the Championship and aim small at first. Like aiming to challenge for the play offs, then reach them, then go from there.

Newcastle's off field junior development excites me the most. It'll be a long project and it may never end up as a top club but continuing to have a steady presence in the North East with increasing participation is an achievement that should be celebrated.

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 2

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: How do you stop St Helens?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Newcastle have disappointed this year, but that's sport. Arbitrary targets like winning Super League by 2030 I don't think helps.

Ambition is great but there will be setbacks along the way. Think now is the time to consolidate in the Championship and aim small at first. Like aiming to challenge for the play offs, then reach them, then go from there.

Newcastle's off field junior development excites me the most. It'll be a long project and it may never end up as a top club but continuing to have a steady presence in the North East with increasing participation is an achievement that should be celebrated.

Well I was glad to see the ambition tbh.  We need new challengers at the top. If they have an academy and stay full time they can retain a good crop,  compliment with a few more elite players. 

If Leigh go up not all their lads can play in SL so some might want to stay FT and put themselves in SL shop window. 

I was bigging up Newcastle this year and got it wrong but if Barrow can break into playoffs Thunder could too in time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think someone mentioned Cas but cas are amazing so like no Homers in the Simpsons we can say no small towns.

Bk to Thunder,  love to see them kick on next year.  Fev probably spending less next year and yes Toulouse are back but being in mix for top 6 has to be aim for full time team in second year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...