Sat 2nd Jul: SL: Catalans Dragons v St Helens KO 15:00 (UK time) (Sky)

Who will win?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/22 at 14:30

10 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Didn’t Catalans have several players missing too ?

Yellow card for Napa was the correct decision.

40 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He is embarrassingly bias towards Saints.....generally I like him but I don't think SKY should have him anywhere near SH games at least for now

40 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He is embarrassingly bias towards Saints.....generally I like him but I don't think SKY should have him anywhere near SH games at least for now

Have been watching Catalans home games for years-they seem to think it important to continually big up the away team-as they are the only fans viewers watching the game. Remember  that Catalans maybe the viewers first choice.

However, attempted impartiality always best!

55 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Agreed.....was Warmsley lucky to not get one too?

I think the ref backed himself into a corner. By giving a only a yellow for the Napa one he couldn’t give any more than a penalty for Walmsleys. They should’ve really been red for Napa yellow for Walmsley. Interesting that there’s a side by side video knocking about that shows the Napa tackle being virtually identical to the one he did against Saints earlier in the season. Wonder if the disciplinary will see that as him not learning his lesson and maybe give a harsher penalty. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

I think the ref backed himself into a corner. By giving a only a yellow for the Napa one he couldn’t give any more than a penalty for Walmsleys. They should’ve really been red for Napa yellow for Walmsley. Interesting that there’s a side by side video knocking about that shows the Napa tackle being virtually identical to the one he did against Saints earlier in the season. Wonder if the disciplinary will see that as him not learning his lesson and maybe give a harsher penalty. 

Think they met few weeks ago to say the red cards were ruining the game.... More sensible now ..it was a yello for me but did was Walmllsley

18 hours ago, Padge said:

Excellant viewing. Catalan obviously have no time for the hype around Saints and just took the game to them when given the opportunity. Suspect some good homework from MacNamara helped.

Wilkin is awful when Saints are on, bearable, just, when they aren't.

Wilkin loves the sound of his own voice, he goes on and on and on. If he was on the love island thing he’d pick himself as his partner. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Excellent match I thought. When we went into the second half with a backline of Bennison, Davies, Batchelor, Mata'utai and Grace, trailing, I gave us no chance of winning.

Whilst we didn't win, we put ourselves in a position to. One of those games that you couldn't grumble at either result, our turn to come out on the wrong side of a tight match today.

Thought Welsby was outstanding. Took a leading role today which was really impressive. Goal kicking is an issue for us. We were unfortunate to be on our third choice kicker but we don't have anyone with Coote's accuracy this year which can cost you in these types of matches.

Catalans were good today. They have had a solid year so far without hitting their 2021 heights. Big win for them as I reckon they'll need a top 2 finish if they are to reach the Grand Final again. Makes our match against Wigan next week all the more important!

I think Saints have had five goal kickers so far this season. Our goal kicking is poor but i also think our kicks in general play have been poor for a large part this year. 

McIlorum, Kasiano and Napa banned for Catalans, Lees for St Helens.

Warmsley incident not even looked at by the MRP, or the behaviour of Welsby. They don't help themselves do they.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, M j M said:

Warmsley incident not even looked at by the MRP, or the behaviour of Welsby. They don't help themselves do they.

"the behaviour of Welsby"?

Catalans very fortunate to get the rub of the green with those decisions - should have been two reds for them for two pretty bad ones.  And McNamara still finds a way to say his team was hard done to!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, M j M said:

The one where he (Welsby) had a quiet, short word while running back? Absolutely nothing in it IMO. I thought it amounted to a respectful expression of disagreement with the decision.

Or, did I miss something else that he did?

Edited by StandOffHalf

1 hour ago, M j M said:

They are obviously not them type of players,apparently.

Edited by Davo5
  • Haha 1

If one gets a 3 game ban and the other is likely to get more then surely the lack of intervention from the video ref at the time needs to be looked at and explanations given. Napa's was a red card all day long, some mitigation for McIllorum as the saints player was falling at time of contact. A yellow would have been enough. 

Imo we have gone from the ridiculous scenario of giving cards for every slight contact with the head to the equally ridiculous situation of minimising serious direct contact with the head which has been a red card for years. It really shouldn't be that difficult to get right 🤷‍♂️

Edited by hullste
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hullste said:

If one gets a 3 game ban and the other is likely to get more then surely the lack of intervention from the video ref at the time needs to be looked at and explanations given. Napa's was a red card all day long, some mitigation for McIllorum as the saints player was falling at time of contact. A yellow would have been enough. 

Imo we have gone from the ridiculous scenario of giving cards for every slight contact with the head to the equally ridiculous situation of minimising serious direct contact with the head which has been a red card for years. It really shouldn't be that difficult to get right 🤷‍♂️

I thought it was right at the start of the season. No idea why the disciplinary listened to the coaches moaning. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, M j M said:

Incredibly, Lees seems to have been banned for the Walmsley incident. Walmsley hits the Catalans player high, which leads to him falling into Lees' shoulder, and Lees gets banned. Very strange.

11 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I thought it was right at the start of the season. No idea why the disciplinary listened to the coaches moaning. 

Exactly right. We had consistency at the start of the season which was "all we wanted", apparently. Now we have a total mess where similar incidents received vastly different punishments. 

7 hours ago, M j M said:

I didn’t know Lees was playing, he was invisible. The only one who i thought  would’ve coped a ban was Napa. Catalans fans must be a bit peed off with him. Even if Napa had been sent off i still don’t think we would’ve won. The Saints discipline is woeful and it is so ruddy annoying, we have a few penalty machines in Knowles, Batchelor, Percival. 

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

Exactly right. We had consistency at the start of the season which was "all we wanted", apparently. Now we have a total mess where similar incidents received vastly different punishments. 

Coaches, fans, journalists, tv pundits, moaning about too many players being sent off in the first few rounds saw the change

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

The RFL are in a no win situation. 

4 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Yeah, playing a man short in that heat is nothing really.

Catalans did deal with the heat far better than Saints, bar Roby & Welsby the rest of the side looked goosed. We will never know though but Catalans deserved the 2pts overall. 

• Thanks 1

5 games for Napa, 3 for McIllorum ultimately shows that at least one was a red card offence and the other at least a yellow. Saints should have played for at least 10 mins v11 and a significant amount of the rest of the game v 12. Ultimately the result would have been different had that been the case. What's the point of having a video ref if they can't get those easy decisions correct🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

See Saints/Lees have won their appeal against the 1 match ban,the old “he’s not that kind of player” works again.

Serious questions have to be asked about how the disciplinary process has worked this week.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

Serious questions have to be asked about how the disciplinary process has worked this week.

Yeah,Walmsley not even charged & Lees overturned his ban,5 matches for Napa is harsh IMO.

Lees’ looked a bit harsh but based upon the reasoning given, I could see why it was initially given, though Lees didn’t look like he could avoid contact. I’m surprised with the appeal and surprised with the clearing of the ban. 

Napa’s a headcase, missing nine games inside seventeen rounds is just daft from him. 

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah,Walmsley not even charged & Lees overturned his ban,5 matches for Napa is harsh IMO.

The Warmsley incident not even being looked at according to the MRP minutes, never mind not being charged, raises questions about the whole system.

• Haha 1

On 03/07/2022 at 09:34, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They shouldn't have near ANY game. The man is an embarrassment.