Are you sure England is better then Samoa?

Just now, Mojo said:

I was being sarcastic lol

You can’t really laugh at a rule that allows players to qualify through residency. Then get upset that other people laugh at players qualifying through their grandparents being born somewhere. Both are acceptable in most international sports and one is not more acceptable than the other. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bobbruce said:

You can’t really laugh at a rule that allows players to qualify through residency. Then get upset that other people laugh at players qualifying through their grandparents being born somewhere. Both are acceptable in most international sports and one is not more acceptable than the other. 

Calm down I've got no problem with it at all. It's not like he's the first to do it. I was being sarcastic because we we're talking on the subject related to it. Geez that went over your head

• Like 2

Kangaroos B team just beat PNG locals team 64-14 imagine if the island nations picked local players only. That score would've doubled. No one will want to watch any international rugby league all because they felt sorry for France because they can't keep up with the rest of the world with there local talent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I know third generation Aussies who's second language is English. Language is a better indicator of culture than where you're born.

I don't think we need to get the finger puppets out do we? C'mon man. 

You’re the brightest fella are you. Do you know what citizenship is mate, you get if you’re born in that country.

5 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

You’re the brightest fella are you. Do you know what citizenship is mate, you get if you’re born in that country.

Throwing the word "citizenship" into the mix. Making strawmen, moving goalposts. 

I'd say to quit while you're ahead but you aren't ahead.

new rise.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Throwing the word "citizenship" into the mix. Making strawmen, moving goalposts. 

I'd say to quit while you're ahead but you aren't ahead.

I don’t Understand What you’re objecting I am stating one thing that has nothing to do with rugby league.

‘If you’re born in a country your from that country’

I’ve simplified down into one sentence so you’re peanut brain can understand maybe if your lucky. 

Edited by SydneyRoosters

Just now, SydneyRoosters said:

I don’t Understand What you’re objecting I am stating one thing that has nothing to do with rugby league.

‘If you’re born in a country your from that country’

I’ve simplified down into one sentence so you’re peanut brain can understand maybe if your lucky. 

Sorry mate, struggling with your incorrect use of there, their and they're.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

new rise.jpg

53 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I know third generation Aussies who's second language is English. Language is a better indicator of culture than where you're born.

I don't think we need to get the finger puppets out do we? C'mon man. 

Culture and Nationality is totally different, for confirmation look at the Gypsies, they choose not to integrate even after generations being born in the same country.

35 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

This isn't even true, you don't get automatic citizenship by birth in plenty of countries - including the UK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Culture and Nationality is totally different, for confirmation look at the Gypsies, they choose not to integrate even after generations being born in the same country.

Yep. It's not tied to where you are born. That's the point.

new rise.jpg

46 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Seeing as though you have Sydney Roosters as your user name let me ask.

Is Sam Walker, born in England, a UK citizen?

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

By the way I am not claiming for these nations to be 100% born and raised players. I was just want there to be some focus on talent actually coming from Tonga. Even around 5-6 players only would be very nice.

One leads to another. Eliesa Katoa, Viliami Vailea, and Taniela Otukolo are all Tongan born players in the NZ Warriors squad. Aged from 19 to 22 they were all young teenagers when Tonga did what they did in 2017. I know some of them (maybe all) came from a Union background and its not a stretch of the imagination that one of the reasons for them to convert to RL was the success of the Tongan national team.

Success breeds success. You look at those sea of red crowds at the sold out Tongan tests games and think how many of those younger Tongan born kids idolizing the heritage players are going to go on to become decent footballers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, B rad said:

One leads to another. Eliesa Katoa, Viliami Vailea, and Taniela Otukolo are all Tongan born players in the NZ Warriors squad. Aged from 19 to 22 they were all young teenagers when Tonga did what they did in 2017. I know some of them (maybe all) came from a Union background and its not a stretch of the imagination that one of the reasons for them to convert to RL was the success of the Tongan national team.

Success breeds success. You look at those sea of red crowds at the sold out Tongan tests games and think how many of those younger Tongan born kids idolizing the heritage players are going to go on to become decent footballers. 

Eliesa Katoa is the only Who was raised in Tonga. He only played union growing up and didn’t even know what league was until he moved to New Zealand at 18. Hopefully we can have more players like him, I would also love for players to come through a rugby league system in Tonga that we be very cool.

6 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Eliesa Katoa is the only Who was raised in Tonga. He only played union growing up and didn’t even know what league was until he moved to New Zealand at 18. Hopefully we can have more players like him, I would also love for players to come through a rugby league system in Tonga that we be very cool.

The others are still Tongan born. Vailea born in Vaini and Otukolo in Tongatapu. The development systems in Tonga for RL are no where near the level of a places like Australia or NZ, yet. But you know what a good tool to help them develop? A successful national team which will create more interest in the sport, encourage more kids to take up the game and tempt successful ex-pat investors or organizations like the NRL to put money into grass roots Tongan RL. Its all part of a process that hopefully will produce more local talent eventually.

But until then you cant expect local amateur players to compete with elite professional NRL players and if the national teams are not competitive then you no longer gain the benefits of having a successful national team.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, B rad said:

The others are still Tongan born. Vailea born in Vaini and Otukolo in Tongatapu. The development systems in Tonga for RL are no where near the level of a places like Australia or NZ, yet. But you know what a good tool to help them develop? A successful national team which will create more interest in the sport, encourage more kids to take up the game and tempt successful ex-pat investors or organizations like the NRL to put money into grass roots Tongan RL. Its all part of a process that hopefully will produce more local talent eventually.

But until then you cant expect local amateur players to compete with elite professional NRL players and if the national teams are not competitive then you no longer gain the benefits of having a successful national team.  

Yeah I 100% agree heritage players are very good short term solution that will help achieve a long term goal of a mostly domestic Tongan term.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Culturally, it’s not a thing here in England for the white population - people don’t understand ‘links’ back either through ethnicity, family or other ties. Very different in other cultures though so I am always wary of bias when people complain about this. 

I don't think its necessarily a 'white' thing. I'm pretty sure second or third generation descendants of Poles or French living in England would be likely to relate with those cultures despite being white.

I also don't think it's an English thing - anywhere where there is a native population which has been settled for centuries is likely to have a similar point of view, be that England, Germany, Serbia, Morocco, Thailand or elsewhere.

It's personal and community experience - If you and those you know are all from the culture that you live in and that has been the case for generations, then that is the reference point you will likely look to. If your family are from a recently migrant population, there will be a different perspective.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pulga said:

You fundamentally don't understand how the union squads are comprised.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/which-team-at-the-rugby-world-cup-has-the-most-foreignborn-players-145345219.html

Do we have to listen to old white men commentate on how people should feel in a cultural context?

EVERY.DAMN.TIME

You do not get it. You don't understand the cultural significance behind these players choosing the nation they, very rightly, have. 

Why does this very specific demographic have to chirp up every time this subject is brought up?

I'm gonna call this out every time it happens too. 

No, you don't have to listen to anyone, regardless of age, skin colour or sex.

I agree with a lot (not quite all) of what you have said about cultural heritage in this thread, but I would hope you don't disregard the opinions of people just based on them having certain innate characteristics. Feel free to ignore anything you read or hear, but I like the idea of considering anyone's point of view regardless of such features.

Edited by Barley Mow

Not sure if he's fit or not but Hull KR's Mikey Lewis would be at least on the bench for me. He's a special player that can make things happen. He'd frighten the best defences more than Lomax would with all due respect to Lomax. The only reason he probably won't get chosen is because lack of experience in big games. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/07/2022 at 09:59, Damien said:

I think there are a couple of people under the false premise that no one is aware of how good Samoa can be and how poor England could be. I have not heard anyone bigging up England's chances in this World Cup. Indeed most seem rather pessimistic.

There are enough NRL fans on here that know the potential of the Samoa team. However we have been down this road before and Samoa have very often been found wanting. It takes more than just a bunch of big names to be successful at international level and unless Samoa get their off field preparation right, and stay away from KFC, then they wont fulfil that potential.

So no one is taking it for granted that England will win. However I would have them as favourites because if nothing else home advantage is huge and as we have seen time and again Southern hemisphere countries, bar the annoyingly consistent Aussies, dont travel that well.

On 02/07/2022 at 10:40, The Rocket said:

That whole quote is just the sort of statement - with an emphasis on the highlighted part - and I`ve that sort of thing on here several times, is just the sort of thing that coaches love to hang on dressing room walls.

As someone who has been watching Pacific Tests for 30+ years, these aren`t the Pacific Island National teams of the past. 

Mock them at your peril.

You were saying.....

• Haha 4

On 02/07/2022 at 05:11, Young Blood said:

I think most people believe that England are going to top group A, but I believe Samoa are a better team.

Can I have a little longer to think about this? I haven't finished counting the England tries yet. :kolobok_cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson