Golden Point Hypocrisy

Wakefield beat Hull on a golden point win earlier in the season and Wakefield are celebrated.

Wakefield lose on golden point against Saints on Saturday and now some people want it abolished. 

For the record if Golden Point didn't exist and a point was given to each team for a draw after 80 minutes Wakefield would still be on the same number of points. 

• Like 5

Just now, The Daddy said:

Wakefield beat Hull on a golden point win earlier in the season and Wakefield are celebrated.

Wakefield lose on golden point against Saints on Saturday and now some people want it abolished. 

For the record if Golden Point didn't exist and a point was given to each team for a draw after 80 minutes Wakefield would still be on the same number of points. 

Golden Point is a joke and should be abolished.

As I say pretty much every time a golden point game happens.

And, if I don't say it, it's because I'm bored of saying it.

• Like 16

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Fevrover said:

If a team earns a draw especially at Saints,Wigan or over in France  for example surely they have earnt that point ?

So are we giving teams extra points now if they get a draw at Saints, Wigan or in France? 😂😂

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yet it works in the NRL and is now ingrained in the competition.

Just doesn't seem to translate to a British audience for some reason. Maybe because the draw culture is so strong in football here?

• Like 1

Just now, The Daddy said:

So are we giving teams extra points now if they get a draw at Saints, Wigan or in France? 😂😂

No they were examples of earning a point at two top clubs away and having to travel to France,they should get a point same as any drawn game,laugh all you want.

• Like 6

Just now, Scubby said:

Just doesn't seem to translate to a British audience for some reason. Maybe because the draw culture is so strong in football here?

There are plenty of people in Australia who don’t like it,apart from knockout games I don’t really see the point of it,the rugby played in it is pretty ###### too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It's probably more cos the bookies need a winner and can flog a whole bunch of "who scores next" markets too.

Draws are fine in league games. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it but I think needing a winner in a regular round game is just a bit silly.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

There are plenty of people in Australia who don’t like it,apart from knockout games I don’t really see the point of it,the rugby played in it is pretty ###### too.

It's an accepted part of the NRL now regardless. Just like I accept that Barry and Terry will ruin my enjoyment of SL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's probably more cos the bookies need a winner and can flog a whole bunch of "who scores next" markets too.

Draws are fine in league games. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it but I think needing a winner in a regular round game is just a bit silly.

You saying Australia has a gambling problem? 😄 

There's no right or wrong, it's just a thing. Some will like it, some won't. 

I don't like the game becoming a drop-goalathon but I have no issue with us looking for a winner. I don't see draws as a positive thing to be savoured. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

You saying Australia has a gambling problem? 😄 

The very idea.

I personally don't like it, I think draws and the single point earned from one add another element to the league table, just make the battles for each end of the table more exciting. 

I have suggested in the past that if we have to have it then why not award both teams a point for the draw and the winner of golden point a second point for the win. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I personally don't like it, I think draws and the single point earned from one add another element to the league table, just make the battles for each end of the table more exciting. 

I have suggested in the past that if we have to have it then why not award both teams a point for the draw and the winner of golden point a second point for the win. 

Absolutely spot on with the solution.

I've watched my team be involved in golden point on several occasions and to me it is the ideal best of both worlds. If your team hasn't won in golden point yet, wait till they do.

• Like 2

The irony is that teams could go hammer and tongs at each other for 10 extra minutes and then a draw is suddenly deemed acceptable.

I remember a Hunslet game at Dewsbury a good few years back.The snow was driving hard straight down the pitch aided by a strong wind.

Hunslet,downwind ,built up a 12-0 half time lead,which Dewsbury equalled in the second half.

Both teams were cold and knackered and left the field to a standing ovation from all,the right result,which everybody appeared satisfied with.

Golden point? No thanks.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Thanks , saved me the bother of typing that . The individual circumstances make no difference 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Teams play sport to win.  You shouldnt be rewarded for only getting a draw.  Golden point is fantastic.  There should always be a winner and a loser

Nonsense.  There are legitimate draws played out across lots of sports - you're not "rewarded" for getting a draw as the prize is always less than a win and better than a loss.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is simply no need for golden point in any league game. If 2 teams are level after 80 minutes then they both deserve a point. A draw is a perfectly acceptable result.

Be off with your common sense now and don’t do it again !

• Like 1

So a team is drawing with 5 mins to go. Is that period of play not essentially golden point anyway. Gimmicks like this are not the answer to our problems.

Edited by Jack Russell

3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Nonsense.  There are legitimate draws played out across lots of sports - you're not "rewarded" for getting a draw as the prize is always less than a win and better than a loss.

So what your saying is there is more of a reward for getting a draw as opposed to losing?  Thanks for validating my point.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Teams play sport to win.  You shouldnt be rewarded for only getting a draw.  Golden point is fantastic.  There should always be a winner and a loser

I like Test cricket . The games at Old Trafford and Oval in 05 were awesome 

• Like 1