Fri 29 Jul: Castleford Tigers v Wakefield Trinity KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Wakefield Trinity

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/07/22 at 19:30

What a superb performance from Wakefield, although as a Warrington fan maybe it wasn't what I wanted!!! It's hard to be anything other than appreciative of such a dominant performance though and clearly after the narrow loss last week and the good win tonight wakey are determined to give everything they have to protect their SL status. If only I could feel 100% confident that the wire players were of the same mentality!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

26 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think they will struggle to keep him regardless. He is probably on sub £30k. Awesome prospect and Wakefield need to upgrade him quick.

It’s a blow losing Tom Johnstone but softened a great deal by the emergence of Murphy who could be anything he wants to be in the future, he’s just 20 years old.

Mamo is probably in the top 10 fastest players in SL and Murphy just burned him with considerable ease. Add his defensive game and his all around general competence and he is quite a complete winger.

No doubt they’ll be suitors from wealthier clubs trying to get him away from Trinity

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OMEGA said:

It’s a blow losing Tom Johnstone but softened a great deal by the emergence of Murphy who could be anything he wants to be in the future, he’s just 20 years old.

Mamo is probably in the top 10 fastest players in SL and Murphy just burned him with considerable ease. Add his defensive game and his all around general competence and he is quite a complete winger.

No doubt they’ll be suitors from wealthier clubs trying to get him away from Trinity

Yes, his defence is absolutely rock solid. He is ahead of Johnstone in this area at that age. He also has the attacking prowess. Murphy will play for England one day I’m sure. He has it all in his locker. 

he’s contracted for next year but I would be looking to extend early next year. 

Murphy and Hall are 19/20 and have played majority of games this season. That’s invaluable experience for two young promising lads.

• Like 2

The way Cas played you would think they fancied playing Wakey home and away next season rather than a trip to Toulouse ,with half a dozen paying spectators at the home fixture.Thinks it's now ingrained in Wakey's DNA not to be relegated.Good on video ref for going against Hicks  for Murphys try .But although it couldn't be proven Jamie Shaul did get the ball down on the line so Wakey should have had another.Richardson for Cas should be prosecuted for impersonating a Half Back.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

The way Cas played you would think they fancied playing Wakey home and away next season rather than a trip to Toulouse ,with half a dozen paying spectators at the home fixture.Thinks it's now ingrained in Wakey's DNA not to be relegated.Good on video ref for going against Hicks  for Murphys try .But although it couldn't be proven Jamie Shaul did get the ball down on the line so Wakey should have had another.Richardson for Cas should be prosecuted for impersonating a Half Back.

I believe there was a bigger crowd for the Castleford v Toulouse game (7,067) than the Castleford v Wakefield derby tonight (6,796). 

Edited by Scubby
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry Rob I disagree, the old adage is you can only play what is in front of you, and Wakefield have been all over Cas and stopped them doing anything they wanted to do 

Both statements can be true. Wakefield played well but Cas were woeful from the start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

There was a bigger crowd for the Castleford v Toulouse game than the Castleford v Wakefield derby tonight. 

Yes Cas supporters like to see a new team in the League but that would soon drop off.Don't think Toulouse would bring more than a couple of dozen.Fev even get increased crowds when Toulouse visit but not many away supporters.The novelty soon wears off.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I believe there was a bigger crowd for the Castleford v Toulouse game (7,067) than the Castleford v Wakefield derby tonight. 

Not surprised bearing in mind the no shows & 2nd half let downs the Trinity faithful have endured this season. Watched it on TV myself, obviously gutted now I didn’t bother!

6 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Yes Cas supporters like to see a new team in the League but that would soon drop off.Don't think Toulouse would bring more than a couple of dozen.Fev even get increased crowds when Toulouse visit but not many away supporters.The novelty soon wears off.

Wakefield brought away fans yet the big derby was a similar crowd to the Catalans game a few weeks ago. Only 200 difference. 

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

You do realise that  attendances are effected by TV coverage? 

Warrington's televised game against Catalans was their 4th highest attendance of the year at 9,295. Only Saints, Wigan and Leeds games were higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Mamo is probably in the top 10 fastest players in SL and Murphy just burned him with considerable ease.

Not sure he had Mamo burned for pace really.... Can't see much between them  For the try he didn't really do him for pace he just goose stepped (really nicely)....in fact Jake actually chased Murphy down in first half and nearly talked him over touch. Class game from him though.... Especially after seeing him drop 3 high balls or so earlier in season against Leeds....he looks a prospect all right 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

22 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not sure he had Mamo burned for pace really.... Can't see much between them  For the try he didn't really do him for pace he just goose stepped (really nicely)....in fact Jake actually chased Murphy down in first half and nearly talked him over touch. Class game from him though.... Especially after seeing him drop 3 high balls or so earlier in season against Leeds....he looks a prospect all right 

I thought the difference between the two encounters were in the first Murphy had to slow down and stoop to pick up the ball which meant Mamo had the run on him before Murphy could accelerate again.

The second encounter was more of an even foot race and Murphy had him for speed

19 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

No complaints about weakened teams this week then.

It’s a shame Wakefield we’re weakened missing Jowitt, Johnstone, Tupou, Lyne, Taufua, Lineham, Pitts, Tanginoa and a few cover players like Adebiyi but I thought they did well regardless tonight. 

Cas were also missing a number of players but you can only play what’s in front of you and tonight the Trinity players played very well.

Edited by Trojan Horse
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

To be fair that’s the only sub par game Murphy has had. He’s been fantastic since his debut.

Wakey were fantastic, Cas embarrassing. Id have thought this game would’ve had the stadium packed to the rafters for a big derby match. But there seemed to be lots of empty spaces around the ground, it didn’t look as if there was a bouncing atmosphere as there always supposedly is. I heard some shouts of Forwarrrrd from the Cas fans. The Wakey following were bouncing a few times and made a fair bit of noise. Id imagine Cas will be disappointed with the turnout. Their gates started off really well but they have taken a nose dive. Well played Wakey. 

35 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I thought Mamo put a lot of effort in i would’ve chosen him for Cas’s MoM.