D-Day England release new kit! (Needs it's very own thread)

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It has, but these are quite different:

181-1811996_2007-cricket-world-cup-engla

OIP.HeD8xO5iz5XaU75ElpJU8gHaFQ?pid=ImgDe

OIP.G1IqxnUzqxOXgYiZz7GnyQHaFj?pid=ImgDe

If England RL did this, it would be slated.

they are still all at least a shade of the same colour! as i say I dont mind blue being incorporated but when the badge is red, the new line head is red and the kit has always been red and white i dont understand the dropping of, well, red!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think this is somewhat overstated. It's a kit - people are used to clubs/nations having varied kits.

Look at the England Cricket team, their kits are all over the place.

We aren’t talking about club kits,it’s the national teams kit & it should be identifiable with that nation,this monstrosity isn’t,the fact it looks more like a Scotland kit sort of says it all.

• Like 2

Just now, Dave T said:

Nobody could answer the question 'what is our brand' for Football, Rugby Union, Cricket, or RL - other than people that work in the field. It's just not a question that the average fan asks.

The England RL kits are white, with red and blue features.

That is the same as Football and Rugby Union.

but its not... where is the red?

England RU play in white top, white shorts blue socks.. they have varied this maybe once or twice with the socks.. they add little bits, take them off but they are predominantly the same always.. they are highly recognisable because of it. England Football the same. 

All the branding is done in colour pallets that work with that everything the produce is recognisable for the brand and the sport.. 

you cannot say that about RL... you tried but there is no longer any red features at all, and before that where was the blue? i have the last couple of shirts (Hummel and Oxen), no blue (except the dacia logo).. so no they arent White with red and blue features.. they were white and red but now they are white with a lot of Blue.. its just odd to do that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

they are still all at least a shade of the same colour! as i say I dont mind blue being incorporated but when the badge is red, the new line head is red and the kit has always been red and white i dont understand the dropping of, well, red!

But the red comes through on the badges and the sponsor. There is red detail on the shirt.

I've seen England football shirts that are white, sometimes with blue, sometimes red, sometimes even light blue.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

But the red comes through on the badges and the sponsor. There is red detail on the shirt.

I've seen England football shirts that are white, sometimes with blue, sometimes red, sometimes even light blue.

I imagine this was part of the thinking even though I don't agree with it. There's red on the badge, the WC logo and Betfred. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

The colours don’t particularly bother me. It would have been nice with some red trim but it’s the “daringly different” bit that frustrates me. What’s different? The colour, that’s it’s. The design is just generic rugby league, isn’t it?

Just now, Dave T said:

there is no red detail in the shirt. The badge is red which makes it odd to not use it in the shirt and christ if we are going with the sponsor bit in red as justification we really are scraping the barrel! 

The england football shirt is predominantly white with blue shirts (sometimes white but rarely) there is, of course, detail that changes to make it a different shirt, no one denies that.. but this is a radical change of design and colour pallet where the predominant colour to the eye is navy blue! 

In a way I don't mind it, and like the adoption of a chevron, but just think it's odd ditching the red that has been used extensively on previous England kits. I think this is basically just to avoid complaints about it being a saints kit with the chevron adoption.

If we are to stick with the blue instead I'm fine with that as long as we are consistent going forward. I think blue is as much England as red for a secondary colour anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RP London said:

but its not... where is the red?

England RU play in white top, white shorts blue socks.. they have varied this maybe once or twice with the socks.. they add little bits, take them off but they are predominantly the same always.. they are highly recognisable because of it. England Football the same. 

All the branding is done in colour pallets that work with that everything the produce is recognisable for the brand and the sport.. 

you cannot say that about RL... you tried but there is no longer any red features at all, and before that where was the blue? i have the last couple of shirts (Hummel and Oxen), no blue (except the dacia logo).. so no they arent White with red and blue features.. they were white and red but now they are white with a lot of Blue.. its just odd to do that.

Come on, RU have had red detail all over their shirt at times, other times blank.

England football have had plain white, or they have had white and blue, or white and red, or white and light blue.

I've already highlighted cricket that has used completely different shades of colours.

RL kits are generally a bit fussier, with more detail, so they may look more extreme, but ultimately, the approach has been similar. 

Is this abandoning a brand?

OIP.6-AzDC-ujfn-_tvr4NMJqAHaKx?pid=ImgDe

I think my biggest issue and why the comparisons with England teams in other sports is redundant, is because as we all know we don't play enough to get any value (both financially and team recognisability) out of the jersey. Changing a WC kit without actually playing a WC in is embarrassing - the fact that old kit was awful isn't really the point. The RFL/Oxen are just trying to cash in on the delayed WC, which is pretty shameless really. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

The england football shirt is predominantly white with blue shirts (sometimes white but rarely) there is, of course, detail that changes to make it a different shirt, no one denies that.. but this is a radical change of design and colour pallet where the predominant colour to the eye is navy blue! 

The above is true - you are stating facts. They have changed the secondary colour.

Ii's not a big deal, at all. 

People will either like the shirt or they won't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think my biggest issue and why the comparisons with England teams in other sports is redundant, is because as we all know we don't play enough to get any value (both financially and team recognisability) out of the jersey. Changing a WC kit without actually playing a WC in is embarrassing - the fact that old kit was awful isn't really the point. The RFL/Oxen are just trying to cash in on the delayed WC, which is pretty shameless really. 

There is something in that, however the sponsor has changed since then too, which will have been a driver (not that they wouldn't have released one had Dacia stayed!).

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Mike has respectfully asked for it not to be shared in the forum as it's his work. That said i'm sure if you'd like him to he'd happily give your DMs a slide too 👀

Fair shout mate 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

In a way I don't mind it, and like the adoption of a chevron, but just think it's odd ditching the red that has been used extensively on previous England kits. I think this is basically just to avoid complaints about it being a saints kit with the chevron adoption.

If we are to stick with the blue instead I'm fine with that as long as we are consistent going forward. I think blue is as much England as red for a secondary colour anyway. 

I've no issues with flitting between blue, red, none or both. It's what England football team do with little controversy.

White, red and blue are absolutely colours associated with England. I'd have understood the uproar had we had a green chevron. 

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Come on, RU have had red detail all over their shirt at times, other times blank.

England football have had plain white, or they have had white and blue, or white and red, or white and light blue.

I've already highlighted cricket that has used completely different shades of colours.

RL kits are generally a bit fussier, with more detail, so they may look more extreme, but ultimately, the approach has been similar. 

Is this abandoning a brand?

OIP.6-AzDC-ujfn-_tvr4NMJqAHaKx?pid=ImgDe

That one was pretty quickly dropped (from memory) in part because, yes, it did go too far against type and also Because it was just knocked up from an obvious template.

So, cheap, too far off brand and a template, and not well liked.

An actually good comparison.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There is something in that, however the sponsor has changed since then too, which will have been a driver (not that they wouldn't have released one had Dacia stayed!).

Yeah I just don't think a new sponsor should dictate a new kit - it's happened many times before with other teams without the need. As you say i'm almost certain they'd have done this regardless. I'm also not comfortable with Betfred being plastered on the junior kits - that is banned in football. 

32 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've no issues with flitting between blue, red, none or both. It's what England football team do with little controversy.

White, red and blue are absolutely colours associated with England. I'd have understood the uproar had we had a green chevron. 

I would always associated England football with white and blue to be honest. I'm not saying they never use red but its not a colour I particularly think of with the home kit or even recall.

I also think England football have a strong brand. Ditto the home RU nations. If they want to deviate they can without difficulty but we all know what their core design will be and what they will use most of the time. We can't say that for England RL.

As I said blue for me is every bit an england colour as red so that change doesn't particularly bother. Ditto the chevron which is RL. I would just prefer us to stick with one standard colour pallete and design for a while. If we are ever in a position where we have built a brand and are playing 6 internationals a year then maybe I'll think differently. 

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2