D-Day England release new kit! (Needs it's very own thread)

5 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Please! Someone tell me this is a p!55 take.

It's totally not suitable for England. 

It would be pretty average as a Scotland shirt but at least it would be the right colour.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

If its the RFL and they decide that we are going to be navy blue and white for every and they are going to make that something then i can live with the idea, though still dont like the execution, but if its a one off whim shirt then i'll be livid

The RFL press release ahead of this said there was consultation done with stakeholders including fans regarding the shirt design before it was released but I'm not sure who they consulted

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Your not fond of your nephew then.

Either of them 🙂

They're not into rugby league but I want to get them into it and I also want to support England RL and put money back into the game so it achieves a number of goals, as well as not having to think of what to get them for Christmas

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

The RFL press release ahead of this said there was consultation done with stakeholders including fans regarding the shirt design before it was released but I'm not sure who they consulted

Scottish fans maybe.

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Certainly not this forum. 

30 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

So let me get this straight, the RFL has… [checks notes]… released an England shirt that isn’t even in the national colours? 

Okaaaaaaay…

Seriously, does nobody even have any ability to limit the impact of these clowns’ incompetence?

Even England’s football team only (occasionally) has navy shorts because it was the Football Associations colours in the kit, rather than the nations. Our administrators are idiots. Mind you, much like “Dog Bites Man” I guess that’s hardly newsworthy eh. 

England football usually have navy shorts and when they don't it's almost always all-white (as per the current Lionesses version).

This is the standard men's team set up right now:

England vs Hungary: Five things we learned as Three Lions held by Hungary  in World Cup qualifying | The Independent

There's nothing, in of itself, wrong with using blue. England RU and cricket do as well. But, if you do, the white has to be properly dominant and that's a key part of what's going wrong here.

I mean, that and the design and the badges and it looking cheap.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Certainly not this forum. 

Just as well they didn't ask me else we'd be running out in a lovely rainbow number.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don't mind it at all. Don't the England football team play in white and navy blue?

It isn't the most eye popping design and it could probably do with a bit of red piping or detail somewhere. But it's got a chevron on it and it's not a Saints shirt: that ticks a couple of boxes for me.

If there was any reason to be confident they were going to stick with a design like this I would be happy enough.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

England football usually have navy shorts and when they don't it's almost always all-white (as per the current Lionesses version).

England vs Hungary: Five things we learned as Three Lions held by Hungary  in World Cup qualifying | The Independent

There's nothing, in of itself, wrong with using blue. England RU and cricket do as well. But, if you do, the white has to be properly dominant and that's a key part of what's going wrong here.

I get that but we aren't England football or England Cricket - England RL has never had a Blue and White kit.

I hate the big St Georges Cross design but at least we have a history of playing in such a kit, it seems the RFL and Oxen just duo not have a clue about brand and recognition.

• Like 4

I have a spare 5 mins.

It's terrible on many levels.
Its a very basic design, there has been no real effort to make this jersey special. It's the same basic Oxen Jersey in the same basic fabric, with the same basic neck line/collar/detail.

It's not anywhere near special. This is for a world cup.. An opportunity to do something truly special and engaging. It's another wasted opportunity from a company who are purely sales focused it seems. Everything they release has to be noticeably different from the last as they seem incapable of actually selling in a product to fans unless there is an obvious point of difference.

It's not an England jersey, or anywhere close to being an England Jersey. It's closer to being a Scotland jersey than an England one. Colour wrong, Chevron wrong (presence of the Chevron i know is a bit like marmite to some). Is it on brand? Absolutely not.

The England "brand" in RL is still very much unclear. The RFL as the owners really have no idea what they are doing with it, but in its most basic form it is white jersey with subtle pops of red. It is not navy blue, or black, and it never should be.

The RFL should also take a huge amount of responsibility for these things, as nothing can happen without their sign off.

They've also spent the last few months pushing this alternative branding of 'we are ready' with the alternative lion head. Every communication has seen this delivered in red. Its now navy blue on the world cup jersey!

Its a stinker. It's very very weak. Design, promotion, presentation, everything.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I get that but we aren't England football or England Cricket - England RL has never had a Blue and White kit.

I know - I was responding to the comment that it has to have the national colours (and the suggestion, minor in the scheme of things, that blue shorts aren't normal for England football).

I don't have an issue with it being white and blue. I have an issue with it being so clumsily done and, as you say, having absolutely nothing about it that says England.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I don't mind it at all. Don't the England football team play in white and navy blue?

It isn't the most eye popping design and it could probably do with a bit of red piping or detail somewhere. But it's got a chevron on it and it's not a Saints shirt: that ticks a couple of boxes for me.

If there was any reason to be confident they were going to stick with a design like this I would be happy enough.

Look at the England Football badge and Brand and also the England Cricket Badge and brand - they are predominantly Blue and white.

Look at the England RL Badge and Brand...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I know - I was responding to the comment that it has to have the national colours (and the suggestion, minor in the scheme of things, that blue shorts aren't normal for England football).

I don't have an issue with it being white and blue. I have an issue with it being so clumsily done and, as you say, having absolutely nothing about it that says England.

Id have absolutely no issue with them introducing some blue into the design, as you say the issue here is it's implementation, its a blue and white kit, not a white kit with a bit of red and blue.

They've had a brain fart here IMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Agreed! I'd have no issue if for whatever reason we aligned with football and had navy shorts, But the jersey must be predominantly white with red featured. 

I'm trying to be balanced and pick out how the design could work with a few colour changes - strip the navy off the shoulders/sleeves, leaving it white or even red. Change the solid V to red, then you could possibly leave the bottom broken lined V in navy (very GB I know). Shorts could be white or navy from there, again similar to football. 

3 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I have a spare 5 mins.

It's terrible on many levels.
Its a very basic design, there has been no real effort to make this jersey special. It's the same basic Oxen Jersey in the same basic fabric, with the same basic neck line/collar/detail.

It's not anywhere near special. This is for a world cup.. An opportunity to do something truly special and engaging. It's another wasted opportunity from a company who are purely sales focused it seems. Everything they release has to be noticeably different from the last as they seem incapable of actually selling in a product to fans unless there is an obvious point of difference.

It's not an England jersey, or anywhere close to being an England Jersey. It's closer to being a Scotland jersey than an England one. Colour wrong, Chevron wrong (presence of the Chevron i know is a bit like marmite to some). Is it on brand? Absolutely not.

The England "brand" in RL is still very much unclear. The RFL as the owners really have no idea what they are doing with it, but in its most basic form it is white jersey with subtle pops of red. It is not navy blue, or black, and it never should be.

The RFL should also take a huge amount of responsibility for these things, as nothing can happen without their sign off.

They've also spent the last few months pushing this alternative branding of 'we are ready' with the alternative lion head. Every communication has seen this delivered in red. Its now navy blue on the world cup jersey!

Its a stinker. It's very very weak.

Absolutely, the national shirt should be high quality and that little bit more special not an Oxen whack it out job, is it on sale yet?

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I hate the big St Georges Cross design but at least we have a history of playing in such a kit, it seems the RFL and Oxen just duo not have a clue about brand and recognition.

Correct.  The England RL branding is red and white.  How can you just throw that away. 

Footy and cricket both have blue as thats the colour for their badges and thats part of their brand hence the blue trim in their kits

Edited by Ragingbull