Opening ceremony

Just now, iangidds said:

Thats the problem,  its someone's job to deliver that properly 

Mate.

It should be looked at. Compensation paid by SJP if they were to blame.

But, genuinely, if you think that anyone has been turned off rugby league today because the Kaiser Chiefs were on mute before England beat Samoa 60-6 then I'm not sure what to tell you.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This is obviously a stadium issue. Not down to the organisers. They’d have rehearsed. The tech will have been tested in multiple rehearsals. S*** happens sometimes eh.

….and now, who cares? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 😃

• Like 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Two random tweets. No one cares about what happened:

I guarantee miserable lifelong RL fans will care much much more about that pre match problem than literally anyone else.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It was old news by half time.

No. That's not true. My wife witnessed 6 year olds crying, upset in the toilets. They had practised their dance routine for weeks and were distraught. 

They even discussed whether they were allowed to keep their hoodies. 

This really wasn't good enough. The lack of Kaiser Chiefs was poor, although I think Ricky Wilson worked hard for his moneym

If they don't get those kids and Kaiser Chiefs lined up for the final it's a disgrace. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No. That's not true. My wife witnessed 6 year olds crying, upset in the toilets. They had practised their dance routine for weeks and were distraught. 

This really wasn't good enough. The lack of Kaiser Chiefs was poor, although I think Ricky Wilson worked hard for his moneym

If they don't get those kids and Kaiser Chiefs lined up for the final it's a disgrace. 

Kaiser Chiefs already have a gig on the night of the final, so they won't be there. Presumably they will have another act lined up. I bet the tournament organisers were in despair before kick off. The England performance will have been a massive relief.

• Like 1

me and the Mrs have enjoyed the whole day despite the PA #### up which cant be blamed on the organizers we thought it looked pretty good until the sound blew out.  I feel the stadium owes the rugby league some compensation.

• Like 1

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Today was a great day but no mistake that was a shambles. 

The look on the faces of Kevin Sinfield and Clare Balding said it all.

The disastrous opening definitely seemed to contribute to a flat atmosphere in the 1st half.

Well done to the team though for putting on such a performance that it was largely forgotten 

Glad I missed an apparent farce.

I went to get a bit of food and came back at 2.20 to see things in a bit of a kerfuffle.

Still don't know what exactly went awry. I saw some musician running up and down the side-line. I assume something went wrong with their set and it was cut short.

At least the game was memorable!

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's not a disgrace. It's unfortunate.

England's performance, and the game overall, mean that it really is old news. The RLWC really should do something for the kids and others who didn't get to perform but, beyond that, it's a thing that happened. Work out why and move on.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Tosh said:

What’s the fallout if any been like on social media or the National media etc?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/oct/15/organisers-apologise-after-sound-failure-hits-rugby-league-world-cup-opener

Daily Mail Australia (link is UK, article says it's Australia) finds some content: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-11318973/Fans-blast-Rugby-League-World-Cup-embarrassing-opening-ceremony.html

The UK version seems to find it altogether more enjoyable https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-11318785/Ricky-Wilson-gets-crowd-going-Englands-Rugby-League-World-Cup-opener-delayed.html

To be fair, aside from a few people determined to be outraged, the vast majority seem to be of the opinion that it wasn't great but they had a good time anyway (seeming to enjoy the rest of the occasion and then the game).

• Like 3