RLWC - TV viewing figures

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They've already announced twice there will be a mid season international (Combined Nations) and a three-test series in the Autumn (expected to be New Zealand).

Hopefully the third time they announce it they will do so without needing to couch it all in the language of rumours and expectations.

There's been nods and winks but there are no confirmed fixtures or tickets available. 

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

There's been nods and winks but there are no confirmed fixtures or tickets available. 

Indeed not.

I don't think published stories in the national media which repeat the same things a few months apart count as nods and winks. They're a bit more substantial than that.

Either way, would be good to get it all confirmed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Indeed not.

I don't think published stories in the national media which repeat the same things a few months apart count as nods and winks. They're a bit more substantial than that.

Either way, would be good to get it all confirmed.

Even the nods and winks aren't clear on who England are supposed to be playing next autumn. I've read it could be either Australia or New Zealand.  

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Even the nods and winks aren't clear on who England are supposed to be playing next autumn. I've read it could be either Australia or New Zealand.  

Ah okay. I've not read anything about Australia.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

29 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

As this is TV figures thread, I would like to throw something else in the mix.

These games are being shown more widely in France than ever before, and are being pushed on Fox Sports (where leaguies happily tune into and watch games with “sparse” attendances every week) in Oz. They are also being shown across the Pacific, as the inspiring pictures from PNG show us. The world wide TV exposure has been a very significant success, and is very important in the context of building for France 2025 and 2029 being in the SH. Your next customers are often your most important ones. As the commentator for those markets, Vossy’s ability to sell any game will be a massive factor in building the profile of the international game. 

As far as our game is concerned, if the England games build up a following and establish that team as one to watch, then that’s enough to get us through the next couple of winters. And everything I have seen suggests that this England team is well on the way to doing just that. Keep going as we are and selling a Kangaroo tour will be so so much easier.

So far so very good on the broadcasting front. 

On top of this, one noticeable difference with this tournament is that other broadcasters in the UK are covering the tournament - we are seeing clips, highlights, news etc on news bulletins, including ITV and Sky. These are channels that normally ignore RL internationals that are covered on BBC. 

I do also think that the RLWC organisers have done a very good job with the social media stuff, and I like seeing interactions from all over the world. This tournament has felt a little more like a world cup in terms of fans from across the globe, both in grounds and online. Small numbers, but progress nonetheless 

I do think credibility of RLWC is growing, and the BBC' s level of coverage imho is both a reflection of that, and something that has helped it along. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Some, but relatively few. I'd argue. 

It always annoys me when people talk about a (usually terrestrial) TV game being watched by 'new' viewers, particularly those in the south.

Believe me there are plenty of people down here who are familiar with/like our sport and are repeat TV viewers and big match attendees when held in London. 

How many tens of thousands have been through the Broncos over the past couple of decades. Past through, enjoyed, but not gone back. Primarily because of ground changes and disfunctionality. And the thousands who've gone through the grassroots game.

IMO, 99% of viewers on the BBC already enjoy RL. They may not know players etc but they are not newbies.

The issue for RL is not so much stirring their interest (it's already there!), it's how to engage them as regular supporters.

IMG's challenge.

Perhaps from little acorns. We can only hope

12 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Play an international in London every year. It’s where the biggest market is. 

I hope that this is an IMG non-negotiable. England must play in London every year against another international opponent (not 'All Stars').

Even if we only got around 10,000 against France. I'd rather see that than a similar number if not (likely) less at somewhere like Leigh or Warrington.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

That’s good

Is it? The peak has fallen in each successive match which means we're not building an audience as the tournament progresses. 

I get that the opposition has got weaker with each game, but regardless of the reason it's not as big a platform as we hoped for going into the knockouts. We haven't yet built a viewing habit with a significant number of new fans. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Is it? The peak has fallen in each successive match which means we're not building an audience as the tournament progresses. 

I get that the opposition has got weaker with each game, but regardless of the reason it's not as big a platform as we hoped for going into the knockouts. We haven't yet built a viewing habit with a significant number of new fans. 

I guess we’ll find out when the knockout phase begins.

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

A bit disheartening. No cut through yet.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Seems good for mid week daytime:

Yes.

I think the organisers deserve some credit for scheduling here. Not the afternoon KO as such but the introduction of the women and wheelchair comps at exactly the right moment in the overall scheme of the RLWC. All of a sudden, rugby league looks massively more innovative, cosmopolitan and just, well, more substantial. It's kind of like we've opened our wings.

I was unhappy with the ENG-GRE TV audience but that's probably the only disappointing one so far. Fingers crossed for lots of eyes on us over the remainder of this weekend.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Yes.

I think the organisers deserve some credit for scheduling here. Not the afternoon KO as such but the introduction of the women and wheelchair comps at exactly the right moment in the overall scheme of the RLWC. All of a sudden, rugby league looks massively more innovative, cosmopolitan and just, well, more substantial. It's kind of like we've opened our wings.

I was unhappy with the ENG-GRE TV audience but that's probably the only disappointing one so far. Fingers crossed for lots of eyes on us over the remainder of this weekend.

Definitely agree timing of the women's and wheelchair tournaments has been perfect. Just as the men's tournament threatened to get a bit flat, or people were feeling overdosed on it, a whole different type of energy and stories has arrived. That will help. 

For me a sign that it will all come good at the end is if we can get back up to the 1.8 mln for the Eng-PNG quarter final - or even peak at 2 mln. If we hit that, then we can hope for a record semi and final, (if England keep winning!) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Definitely agree timing of the women's and wheelchair tournaments has been perfect. Just as the men's tournament threatened to get a bit flat, or people were feeling overdosed on it, a whole different type of energy and stories has arrived. That will help. 

For me a sign that it will all come good at the end is if we can get back up to the 1.8 mln for the Eng-PNG quarter final - or even peak at 2 mln. If we hit that, then we can hope for a record semi and final, (if England keep winning!) 

It has certainly done it for me. I'll be honest, I was bored of attending nice 6k exhibition games. I was missing big, vibrant feel-good events that we've seen at some other WC's and I think this week has been a real boost for RLWC. 

Hopefully tomorrow will step up a level even more for the men's tournament. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It has certainly done it for me. I'll be honest, I was bored of attending nice 6k exhibition games. I was missing big, vibrant feel-good events that we've seen at some other WC's and I think this week has been a real boost for RLWC. 

Hopefully tomorrow will step up a level even more for the men's tournament. 

I am sure it will.  The extra momentum from the publicity of the Women's and Wheelchair competitions, the fact we have reached knockout stages and live on a Saturday on BBC1 should deliver good numbers.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris