East Wales

Could East Wales be the next place to develop the game in Wales. They already have several local clubs and a representative team playing against West Wales and North Wales in an origin series.Surly this has to be the next step in developing the game in Wales. 

Chief Crazy Eagle

I like idea of the geographic spread of North, East, South and West, but calling it that points to the disaster that is regional rugby union in Whales.

There could be a focus on clubs based in those areas though and have an 'origin' series accordingly.

North - Wrexham

East - Newport

South - Cardiff

West - Llanelli / Swansea.

I'd love us to focus on Whales more.

The first Welsh team to have a Whale on their badge will forever have my heart 

• Like 2

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, superten said:

Could East Wales be the next place to develop the game in Wales. They already have several local clubs and a representative team playing against West Wales and North Wales in an origin series.Surly this has to be the next step in developing the game in Wales. 

Where do you mean by East Wales - the Welshpool area? 

Yes. Band

2 hours ago, superten said:

Maybe with some kind of Super 10 competition? 🤪

5 minutes ago, Dave W said:

I'm not sure he knows where but he's open to Offas. 

I am not sure whether to wince at, or admit to being amused by, your pun, Dave W.  This is the Dyke-otomy I face!

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I like idea of the geographic spread of North, East, South and West, but calling it that points to the disaster that is regional rugby union in Whales.

There could be a focus on clubs based in those areas though and have an 'origin' series accordingly.

North - Wrexham

East - Newport

South - Cardiff

West - Llanelli / Swansea.

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Wrexham is a big football area - oldest team in Wales in fact. Plus it is surrounded by teams in the Welsh Premier League - or whatever they call themselves - Connah's Quay, Flint Town United, Airbus Broughton to name but 3. Is there a market/room for RL there as well?

Has an amatuer league not been tried in the south before? It's a nice idea and given the Welsh love of rugby you would think setting up a league would be easy but ............

• Thanks 1

To be constructive, we have two Welsh Semipro teams. There is a certain interest in the game there in comparison to Scotland for example. However I'd like, if at all possible for WWR to start climbing a bit up the ladder. Also emphasis, as it should be on all levels, should be focused on the amateur game there.

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Where do you mean by East Wales?

I think he's following the WRU model where Wales is a small country based a few miles either side of the M4.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Isn’t this all a bit unfair on middle Wales? Who are those villages going to cheer for? 

6 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I'd love us to focus on Whales more.

The first Welsh team to have a Whale on their badge will forever have my heart 

I have a genius plan! What place has lots of Welsh speakers and Whales? Patagonia- The Puerto Madryn Welsh Whales and -this is the genius bit- it will be the back door in for Rugby League to become absolutely  mahusive in Argentina! Play the Welsh Superten grand final there it’s bloody gorgeous in October. 

Edited by pahars
  • Like 1

I think we should leave it to the Welsh Rugby League who, without any outside assistance, have got the game to where it is.

I'm sure if they continue in the same vein, the game will spread and grow over time (much like the North East).

It seems patently obvious that IMG and the RFL have little or no interest in the development of the game here, or anywhere else for that matter, so let's leave it to someone who actually cares.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1