2023 Summer Bash is going to be...

11 hours ago, POR said:

It's York races on the Saturday so hotel prices will be at a premium

Right.

I'm going to file this under incompetence then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, POR said:

It's York races on the Saturday so hotel prices will be at a premium

I Had a quick look at prices for the Travelodge at Monks Cross yesterday and was surprised they were this low - non-refundable double room rates were Fri £94, Sat £130, Sun £94 plus ca£20 extra per night for breakfast or a flexible booking.

Week before rates are Fri £66, £89 and £49

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bulls2487 said:

York Races

Live at Leeds/Neighbourhood Weekender at Warrington.

Last day of Premier League 

All on same Weekend

Great planning from RFL as usual.

Is there much crossover between championship rugby league fans and attendees of the Warrington Neighbourhood Weekender? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Is there much crossover between championship rugby league fans and attendees of the Warrington Neighbourhood Weekender? 

I'm just concerned it's going to lose people to the opening of Boheme at Glyndebourne.

(Being on at the same time as York Races is something that absolutely should have been avoided at all costs).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm just concerned it's going to lose people to the opening of Boheme at Glyndebourne.

(Being on at the same time as York Races is something that absolutely should have been avoided at all costs).

Yeah that does seem like a terrible oversight. Not for taking fans away from it, but for hotels etc. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not for taking fans away from it, but for hotels etc. 

It makes the rugby the second-tier event straight off the bat. It's a set of problems we didn't need to have and lowers the event visibility.

16 minutes ago, Jughead said:

York have plenty of Saturday racedays throughout a year, I’m not sure what could be avoided. 

During the championship season J York have six Saturday meetings with the exception of July which has two it's one a month so plenty of free Saturdays

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, POR said:

During the championship season J York have six Saturday meetings with the exception of July which has two it's one a month so plenty of free Saturdays

And York City have at least six Saturday home games (thats league, no FA Trophy) left of this season and probably 3-6 more in terms of pre-season and league games next season so plenty of weekends where the ground isn’t available. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

And York City have at least six Saturday home games (thats league, no FA Trophy) left of this season and probably 3-6 more in terms of pre-season and league games next season so plenty of weekends where the ground isn’t available. 

Yotk city will end their league season in April new season starts 26 Aug. so no home games in May July and most of Aug incidentally York don't play ALL their home matches on a Saturday 

1 minute ago, POR said:

Yotk city will end their league season in April new season starts 26 Aug. so no home games in May July and most of Aug incidentally York don't play ALL their home matches on a Saturday 

I literally said “six Saturday home games…”. You’re conveniently missing any friendlies or league games come July, any cup draws they get between January and April (if they progress) and other events held at the stadium. 

Datewise, it is what it is. The event can be a great success if sufficient effort goes into making the weekend a proper festival. With rugby at the heart of it, but with loads of distractions for kids, good food and drink stalls, and easy links into York.

If it is just 8 games being played over a couple of days then it may be the end of it. Over to the organisers to show us what they've got.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jughead said:

You can find reasons in most places to not have it in whatever city or town. People are never going to be happy. 

Putting on an event at the same time as another event is taking place in the same city, soaking up all the available hotel capacity seems to me to be a particularly egregious lack of foresight.

Having it in York is just holding the Bash for the sake of it if people can't stop over for the weekend without paying through the nose. If everyone's just coming through to watch their team on the day and then going home, you could hold it anywhere. Smacks of York's new ground being 'flavour of the month' to me.

Newcastle Kingston Park would have made more sense. Magic Weekend's little brother, if you will.  But, then again, I suppose Newcastle Thunder's cachet has dropped a little compared to what it was.

Edited by Dave W
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JonM said:

It being on at the same time as York races may encourage fans to stay in the ground for more games though. You certainly won't be driving anywhere in a hurry.

Or not bother going in the first place , watch it on the Telly instead 😉

• Like 1

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Or not bother going in the first place , watch it on the Telly instead 😉

Only two games are being shown.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

Blackpool is better for Barrow, York is better for Featherstone so you can't please  everyone.

Nowt to do with the location, more the dreadful timing of it with regard to hotel cost and availability:  I'm not made of money, I don't live in an affluent suburb of Wakefield like Fev fans do.

Edited by Dave W
  • Haha 1