Dublin City Exiles qualify for the Challenge Cup

๐—–๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ด๐—ฒ ๐—–๐˜‚๐—ฝ ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฏ

ย 

Following winning the Irish Rugby League in 2022, Dublin City Exiles have qualified to enter the Challenge Cup based in the UK. It has been a 20 year wait for this momentous occasion.ย 

ย 

The 2023 competition will be the 121st edition of the Challenge Cup, the main rugby league knockout tournament in the UK.

ย 

To fund this expedition and help our traveling players we have set up a GoFundMe. All donations are much appreciated and will go to making sure our players have everything they need to be the first Irish team to win a Challenge Cup game.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would love to see the Challenge Cup used as an opportunity to reward domestic players of any European playing nation to combine for a quasi national club representative team and participate in the early rounds of the competition. For example:

Serbian Slayers

Maltese Falcons

Swedish Blondes

Norwayโ€™s Cnutโ€™s

Belgian Brewers

Czech Republicans

Spain Senors

Italian Stallions

Deutschlandย 

I think that would be a great incentive for players in domestic scenes that are not skilled enough to participate in major international fixtures.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I would love to see the Challenge Cup used as an opportunity to reward domestic players of any European playing nation to combine for a quasi national club representative team and participate in the early rounds of the competition. For example:

Serbian Slayers

Maltese Falcons

Swedish Blondes

Norwayโ€™s Cnutโ€™s

Belgian Brewers

Czech Republicans

Spain Senors

Italian Stallions

Deutschlandย 

I think that would be a great incentive for players in domestic scenes that are not skilled enough to participate in major international fixtures.

Scotland, Netherlands and Ireland teams have all competed in domestic English cricket competitions - with rules to make them distinct enough that they were different enough to the first choice international sides. (And, indeed, in football, Jersey and Guernsey enter what are essentially national sides into English leagues).

So not such a completely mad idea. Although your nicknames need a bit of work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.ย (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Scotland, Netherlands and Ireland teams have all competed in domestic English cricket competitions - with rules to make them distinct enough that they were different enough to the first choice international sides. (And, indeed, in football, Jersey and Guernsey enter what are essentially national sides into English leagues).

Oh common, I thought the nicknames was the best part of my plan, especially Germanyโ€™s ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I agree. Not completely mad but be careful what you wish for.The top Community clubs are lying in wait with more than a dozen NCL sides equivalent to Elite 2.

But it's all down to costs I'm afraid.

If the CC rules follow last year then a travel subsidy will be available in these early rounds. Last year the Irish would have received at least ยฃ500 towards their expenses each game......

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Serbian Slayers

Maltese Falcons

Swedish Blondes

Norwayโ€™s Cnutโ€™s

Belgian Brewers

Czech Republicans

Spain Senors

Italian Stallions

Deutschlandย 

Baffling assortment of adjectives, nouns and apostrophes.

Still, looks a strong line-up for next year`s AFL Euro Premiership.

I`ll be cheering on Norway`s Squashed Cnuts.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Serbian Slayers

Maltese Falcons

Swedish Blondes

Norwayโ€™s Cnutโ€™s

Belgian Brewers

Czech Republicans

Spain Senors

Italian Stallions

Deutschlandย 

Trouble is theyโ€™d get absolutely battered, even by an NCL division 2 side. Also (and Iโ€™m cringing at my own pedantry), King Cnut was Danish.ย 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, langpark said:

Definitely cost is the biggest barrier here. Even the Irish have had go asking for 8 grand in donations and they are right next door to England. Imagine the financial burden for teams from further away.ย 

That's roughly ยฃ500 a person for a touring party though, which in itself isn't ridiculous imo. Big for a weekend, but between flights, transfers, hotels and food its not too bad. Other than the flights to the UK, those costs will probably be the same for everyone else in Europe.

ย 

24 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's roughly ยฃ500 a person for a touring party though, which in itself isn't ridiculous imo. Big for a weekend, but between flights, transfers, hotels and food its not too bad. Other than the flights to the UK, those costs will probably be the same for everyone else in Europe.

ย 

Surely it will be the Ferry so they have vehicles with them not flying over with additional travel costs, just a thought.

Obviously it comes down to funding but I'd like to see champions from European nations in the early rounds with the Elite 1 clubs joining same time as League 1 clubs. Gives an European flavour to the CC and might get some good publicity in the countries with clubs involvedย 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Surely it will be the Ferry so they have vehicles with them not flying over with additional travel costs, just a thought.

Or - they could travel on the ferry as foot passengers and hire a bus from the ferry port.

Which is what other Irish teams have done.

• Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ferry is generally more expensive in my experience, especially if you're talking multiple vehicles. Other than having your own car, which some like, flying is surely more preferable?

By the way, the idea is very interesting. I think it's been explored by the Italian federation in the past...
Building a team with the best amateur players available and play a Challenge Cup tie away can be a great experience, maybe better than a test match.ย 

• Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Baffling assortment of adjectives, nouns and apostrophes.

Still, looks a strong line-up for next year`s AFL Euro Premiership.

I`ll be cheering on Norway`s Squashed Cnuts.

Was it really a baffling assortment or did you just feel the need to comment? I think each are relative, especially when not to be taken seriously.

Also, your fascination of AFL knows no boundaries. You bring it up in every topic. You are fixated upon it. Maybe you need to take a break.

Edited by Sports Prophet

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Trouble is theyโ€™d get absolutely battered, even by an NCL division 2 side. Also (and Iโ€™m cringing at my own pedantry), King Cnut was Danish.ย 

I know, I was clutching and as King of Norway, I put it in there.ย 

As to getting smashed by a NCL D2 side, is that the lowest tier of teams that get an auto entry into the CC?

Edited by Sports Prophet

4 hours ago, Jughead said:

Not sure we necessarily need teams from abroad but it should be open to any teams from abroad (or anywhere, for that matter) to take part in should they wish and receive an invitation.

Itโ€™s not a matter of the Challenge Cup and the British RL system needing it, it is an idea to reward domestic players with international opportunity. Perfect for those that may miss out to heritage players, like in Greece and Italy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Itโ€™s not a matter of the Challenge Cup and the British RL system needing it, it is an idea to reward domestic players with international opportunity. Perfect for those that may miss out to heritage players, like in Greece and Italy.

Not sure that helps the Cup or the international game, myself.ย 

• Thanks 1