Salford FC move to AJB is OFF

I await for confirmation. But that would be excellent news.

Install SRD as prime resident, reach agreement with Salford council on revenues produced and maintenance, reduce parking fees for SRD games, build a bloody bus stop for both services.

Sale would be better finding another partnership in their core area ie Crewe, or work with Altrincham FC or even say a new ground around say Hough End or Wythenshawe.

Salford City could look to consolidate, maybe build a grandstand at Moor Lane or play any big games at what ever the AJ Bell will be called.

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Sounds also like Sale will be off from the white elephant if they don´t get to keep matchday revenue with RU Prem looking at getting rid of the artificial need for a 10k stadium . 

This from the Sale CEO on the BBC website

"We are now working very closely with Salford City Council to ensure we reach a robust agreement that allows Sale Sharks to both enhance and control the matchday experience for the benefit of our supporters, and benefit commercially from matchday activity.

"We have always maintained that taking control of the stadium is integral to the long-term future of Sale Sharks and that remains the case. But equally, we were clear that we wouldn't proceed with any course of action until Salford Red Devils have secured a place to play.

"Salford City Council's proposed agreement will enable this to happen while ensuring that the stadium remains the home of Sale Sharks."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64038055

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Surely his interest was in having a stake to generate rev . Can´t see the attraction if he is just dumping his money on rent year after year. Outright owning a ground, even if it was the football clubs ground, would seem better then just sinking money on rent and having little control over the property. I hope I´m wrong and it´s a success 

I was thinking that SG could well be the future owner of both SRD and the AJ Bell.

There seems to be a few strings to this. Peel want out. Salford Council probably want out but can't be seen to be putting Salford RL into peril. Sale/Salford FC want to buy it and are the only viable bid on the table as Gerrard's feels a bit last minute.

Outcome is the council buy it to get Peel out whilst protecting Salford RL. Not sure what the future holds but for the time being at least it's put Salford FC and Sale back in their box. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

48 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Sounds also like Sale will be off from the white elephant if they don´t get to keep matchday revenue with RU Prem looking at getting rid of the artificial need for a 10k stadium . 

Tied into 25 year deal - they’ll have to pay to break that…

14 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

There seems to be a few strings to this. Peel want out. Salford Council probably want out but can't be seen to be putting Salford RL into peril. Sale/Salford FC want to buy it and are the only viable bid on the table as Gerrard's feels a bit last minute.

Outcome is the council buy it to get Peel out whilst protecting Salford RL. Not sure what the future holds but for the time being at least it's put Salford FC and Sale back in their box. 

Erm no you can’t just write off SG bid like that - respected local wealthy successful businessman put bid in to save local rugby club…

Any information regarding how much the AJ Bell was being sold for?

Apparently, according to the M.E.N., the football club and Sale had already agreed to pay the asking price and it was only in the last few days that everything went pear shaped. So close, and yet so far. 😀

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/salford-city-fcs-planned-switch-25798167

A council spokesperson said: “The council and Coscos (stadium company) have been in extensive negotiations with partners about the sale of the stadium - but unfortunately we have not received a proposal which satisfies our aspirations for this great community asset. We are now looking at other future options."

Nicky Butt, co-owner of the soccer club says there will be an appeal about the councils decision : "We are still in discussions with the council and appeal [over a move to the AJ Bell]. We are very confident that we will get it sorted out eventually..."

An appeal?

And those future options the council staff member mentions....well, if its not Salford City or Sale Sharks, surely that leaves Sebastian Gerrard as the last man standing?

• Like 1

A lot of this will be about the ability to develop the land around the stadium. Making revenue from the staium use will pale against what would be achieved in property deals on the surrounding land. 

Peel own a big chunk already and probably want rid of the loss making bit, so I would expect some swaps of land to be going on.

Sale (ie their owners) will likely be funding the stadium bit with what they can make from the rest.

The council have hopefully woken up to the fact that they could make some money themselves instead of leaving it all to the private sector. 

If parties have offered the full price for stadium, it seems likely to me that things have fallen down over what likely purchasers want on top.

Hopefully, with the council on board they can co-ordinate efforts to get the metrolink extension in place soone than later.

As for SRD perhaps they need to find that special someone to funs their interest!

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

According to the Sale fan I work with, Sale now intend to build a stadium over their side of the city on land they own. They hate the AJ Bell.

I hope Seb is doing his talking behind closed doors and not in the press.

As any sensible businessman would. 

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

According to the Sale fan I work with, Sale now intend to build a stadium over their side of the city on land they own. They hate the AJ Bell.

I hope Seb is doing his talking behind closed doors and not in the press.

Not on about this are you? It was knocked back.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/land-formerly-earmarked-sale-sharks-20237210.amp

Not heard that they have access to anywhere else but you never know.

If they do, it will be interesting if they can do it for less that £30 M and where that might come from. 

I’d understood the attraction of AJB was the surrounding land. Any land would presumably need a wider development potential to make the sums work. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

5 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

Not on about this are you? It was knocked back.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/land-formerly-earmarked-sale-sharks-20237210.amp

Not heard that they have access to anywhere else but you never know.

If they do, it will be interesting if they can do it for less that £30 M and where that might come from. 

I’d understood the attraction of AJB was the surrounding land. Any land would presumably need a wider development potential to make the sums work. 

Not sure where he meant but he seemed convinced.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.totalrl.com/salford-red-devils-director-of-rugby-on-potential-super-league-takeover-bid-as-he-explains-recruitment-policy-and-spare-quota-spot/

"Off the field, too, cogs have been whirring as the club looks to secure investment with one of those potentially interested being local businessman Sebastian Gerrard.

Director of rugby, Ian Blease, has explained that, whilst Gerrard will not be number one at purchasing the AJ Bell Stadium, he is hoping that the businessman will help the Red Devils financially.

“Seb has been informed by the council that he isn’t the preferred bidder because the council are purchasing it themselves now which I think is a great idea,” Blease told League Express."

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Will Salford get revenue off ground? If not then Salford might be at risk of losing space at top in medium term.

As the council will be the sole owners of the stadium it's hard to see SRD getting income streams from this direction.

If SRD lose their place it won't be for the medium ar short term.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No  I mean they will be at risk shortly. Council going to have a white elephant if everyone leaves. The RFL will be based in Manchester whilst RL in Manchester continues its decline

Sorry I don't understand the premise here. SRD are not leaving, there is a rumour Sale might now that they can't get rid of SRD.

And there have been periods in Manchester where RL was no existent.

I'm not sure what the RFL being in Mancland has to do with it?

32 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If the club cannot generate rev from the ground it is kneecapped . Previously Salford couldn’t afford the rent so I don’t see how they are all that better off not owning the ground will no cut of rev. 

Council could have a White elephant as in if Sale leave and Salford can’t make a profit from it the council will own a white elephant as no one will be interested in it unless they own it. 

The RFL have overlooked the decline of Swindon Oldham and now Salford aren’t going to be able to generate rev it’s pretty poor from them, esp since they blocked a club in Manchester. 

I think Salford are one bad season from never getting back into SL because without owning a ground they tick so few boxes. 

There's no "previously" about it.

They still do not pay their rent.

The tax payers of Salford continue to subsidise them, whilst they spoff their rent money on 8-year marquee player deals.

They smell more like a Bradford Bulls waiting to happen every year.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Don't want to start any conspiracy theory but can the fact that Salford City have pulled out of any move to the AJ Bell  have anything to do with the fact that the money man behind the football club - Singapore businessman Peter Lim - is also owner of struggling Spanish Football club Valencia who have fallen on hard times and cash is short? According to a BBC report Mr. Lim who bought Valencia in 2014 (his friend Gary Neville became manager there) has not been seen since 2018. 

2 hours ago, dboy said:

There's no "previously" about it.

They still do not pay their rent.

The tax payers of Salford continue to subsidise them, whilst they spoff their rent money on 8-year marquee player deals.

They smell more like a Bradford Bulls waiting to happen every year.

I have to say I try to keep an even keel in response posts but this silliness almost produced an anglo-Saxon expletive reply.

I suspect ulterior motivation here.

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

If the club cannot generate rev from the ground it is kneecapped . Previously Salford couldn’t afford the rent so I don’t see how they are all that better off not owning the ground will no cut of rev. 

Council could have a White elephant as in if Sale leave and Salford can’t make a profit from it the council will own a white elephant as no one will be interested in it unless they own it. 

The RFL have overlooked the decline of Swindon Oldham and now Salford aren’t going to be able to generate rev it’s pretty poor from them, esp since they blocked a club in Manchester. 

I think Salford are one bad season from never getting back into SL because without owning a ground they tick so few boxes. 

You're writing about several very different and unrelated things here. And that maybe because Swindon has moved to the greater Manchester conurbation.

The one bad season theory could mean most if not all clubs in UKRL.

The stadium will only be a white elephant if it continues to not be used for the community and for other events.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 2