Toulouse struggling

39 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just really glad to see this topic didn’t get hijacked by two people. 

I mentioned Leigh posters earlier. 

All threads go the same way.

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

The thing of real interest here is why expected turnover fell well short and whether this is now an existential threat to the club. 

Of course it can all be causally related AG.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

57 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

I simply asked why you consider Spain and NZ as "backwards" countries?

It is the sort of thing I have only ever heard from the stereotypical xenophobic English brexit-voting, WWII-celebrating, deranged grandfather type. I am sure you are not that, so perhaps you could answer my question rather than deflecting?

Can you please explain what you meant by WW2 celebrating  deranged grandfather type ?  Thank you.

Edited by Fevrover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

stereotypical xenophobic English brexit-voting, WWII-celebrating, deranged grandfather type

Apart from being all too accurate except for the misleading stereotypical it seems pretty self explanatory to me.

I sometimes think that two threads on the same subject are necessary one for those who'd like to see thing sorted out and one for those who want to gloat!

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

26 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Apologies. Was asked to say where I came from. Probably shouldn't have answered. 

Was never my intention to go down this route. 

It's good you apolgised. It gets emotional sometimes, I've done it myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Let's not forget that Toulouse were also severely restricted by Covid restrictions at the start of the season. This meant they had to cancel build up events with fans and sponsors, couldn't open bars and had to play the first few games with limited attendance. They had to operate on a week by week basis as restrictions changed and couldn't plan. All of that would have been very costly too with knock on effects for the rest of the season, even when restrictions relaxed.

Also paying the wages for Ford and Kheirallah when they weren't playing.. and legal fees trying to get Killer off contract.

Lots of costs, but that's all normal tbh when running a business. There are sponsors, but only really Bernard paying the Megabucks. I hope any new President(s) can bring new finance into the club. A TV deal would be the silver bullet in my opinion.

On 28/01/2023 at 12:58, Eddie said:

Most? Widnes, Bradford, Halifax, Barrow, York and Fev definitely would, and some of the others like Whitehaven might.  On this forum we were repeatedly told TO would average 10k if they went up, which is nonsense. 

If the average attendance of TO as @Leonardsays was 5K that would mean 1 in every 100 of the City population of 500,000 can be bothered and less than that if the away fans are discounted, BUT if we take the Metro Area population of Toulouse that is just over 1,000,000 it is one in every 200.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

I simply asked why you consider Spain and NZ as "backwards" countries?

It is the sort of thing I have only ever heard from the stereotypical xenophobic English brexit-voting, WWII-celebrating, deranged grandfather type. I am sure you are not that, so perhaps you could answer my question rather than deflecting?

Every comment you have put on this thread has been belittling UK RK towns - " Run down Yorkshire towns, places like Leigh, Limited to these Lower Decile towns" etc etc

I simply pointed out that all those towns have a higher standard or living than Spain with its poor economy and very high unemployment and NZ which is basically run by biker gangs with a very unstable economy (you should know you could not wait to leave)

These towns you hate are the backbone of RL - even if you don't like it.

I'm not sure how you know my nationality and I fail to see what Brxit has todo with UK clubs in SL rather than TO. 

Seems your happy to slate all UK towns that love RL but get all worked up when I use the same logic to your new country and the one you left.

Edited by Mr Frisky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hello said:

starting with not forcing Toulouse to pay travel if they get back to SL.

I can't see that will be a problem, the way Toulouse are approaching this season on the playing roster side, I think that they have given up already on any chance that they will be promoted this year.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Apart from being all too accurate except for the misleading stereotypical it seems pretty self explanatory to me.

I sometimes think that two threads on the same subject are necessary one for those who'd like to see thing sorted out and one for those who want to gloat!

Iam not bothered about the rest of it just the WW2 bit,is it a slight on people celebrating the defeat of Hitler? That's what it comes across as imho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I can't see that will be a problem, the way Toulouse are approaching this season on the playing roster side, I think that they have given up already on any chance that they will be promoted this year.

They haven't at all.

They know it will be tougher this year with the money being spent on the English clubs, but they believe they have just as much a chance as any team. It just might be Featherstone's year, but isn't every year Featherstone's year?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Paying for other teams is a bit unfair though- puts them (and Cats) at a disadvantage every season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kiggy said:

They haven't at all.

They know it will be tougher this year with the money being spent on the English clubs, but they believe they have just as much a chance as any team. It just might be Featherstone's year, but isn't every year Featherstone's year?

Sorry for trying to get in SL and if other teams stop us like they have then so be it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Apologies. Was asked to say where I came from. Probably shouldn't have answered. 

Was never my intention to go down this route. 

No , you should not have made ridiculous accusations at the start 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Sorry for trying to get in SL and if other teams stop us like they have then so be it. 

I am pro-expansion and think that having Toulouse going back up and staying up would be great for the sport in general in the medium term, so I will be hoping that they get promoted.  However, I respect decent posters like yourself and think that Featherstone is a great club, and absolutely you should be trying to get into SL.  It would be great for the sport to have more heartlands clubs at Championship level that bring in your level of support to the game in general and, particularly if SL expands to 14 clubs (which it should) SL could do a lot worse than having Fev as a member.

Edited by Hello
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

It's ok. Nothing to apologise for. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Will say this and won´t respond because it always gets hijacked or someone from a club I mention takes it as a potshot or my personal favourite, they create more strawmen than a drunk farmer.

Toulouse, despite having to deal with restrictions making it impossible to promote fixtures at beginning of season to sponsors, despite having to lose two of their most key players on eve of season and restrictions making bringing in new players immensely hard. Oh and paying for Travel costs of every other team. 

And despite the immense stupidity (that´s the best description of it, otherwise you´d would have to conclude it was a Union fan looking to deliberately kneecap Toulouse) of playing what should have been their setpiece game on a Thursday night (whoever did that wants locking away), they still averaged pretty much 5000 (4967).

So, we can say that is their floor and at their absolute worst they still got more people in than Salford, Wakey and were 200 behind Giants, despite Giants having near enough 15 years to build a fanbase in SL and who were having a great season. 

Noone with any sense would think it wise for a sport desperate for growth to lock out a team in a completely different market with that. 

Second, if it isn´t clear to people right now, the idea of depending on NRL to give meaningful internationals is dead. Not building semi competitive european competition for England to play on FTA to attract new eyeballs and commercial sponsors is a longstanding failure that has now come home to roost. Australia aren´t coming, nor are Kiwis.. It´s not going to happen. So when we have two clubs in France who could provide a core of French players to have that game, the sport would be mad, literally mad, to turn its back on this.

It is all the more baffling as the sport has shown it can do it with expansion clubs as it did protect Catalan and catalan has grown to be one of the better run clubs in the comp. So the sport already knows it can work. 

But perhaps the best arguement of all is the ´alternative´ people suggest (more of the same loop fixtures, more of the same hostile attitude to new markets, more people saying I won´t watch England play France when it has been pointed out that they are not the target market for those games) has led the sport to a massive cut in money from Sky, declinging demographics and me being one of the younger fans of the sport even though I´m already 30. 

Having Toulouse scrabble around in a part time league, paying for flights, then putting their derby on a thursday evening is another act of Self Sabotage. 

The reality is it doesn´t even half to be either or. We´ve more than enough teams with a good solid fanbase and the infrastructure for a 14 team SL to give Toulouse a chance to grow and still have your Fev´s or Widnes (no laughing at the back) to get up. 

14 team league: Hull/KR, Pies/Saints Catalan/Toulouse then a Fev /Cas or Widnes / Wire. Local derbies, international market, growth and a big game every week for tv without loop fixtures. 

I agree with a lot of this and not just because this scenario features Widnes randomly being promoted. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Given Flybe have in the last 24 hours demonstrated the state of play in the budget end of the aviation industry I think we might be approaching the end of cheap flights, never mind budget airlines wanting to fly people around for free. The big push from easyJet is currently package holidays - flights alone isn’t enough any more to make money.

i don’t want to be overly negative, but since 2020 airlines are probably no longer the partner you want, or in a position to want to be.

Totally agree (Apart from Ryan Air who are never interested in these deals) there is no-one apart from the fact that there is also the risk of the airline abandoning the route.

To Perpignan 

Ryan Air

BMI Baby 

Fly BMI 

A few years later ZERO:(

Paul

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Will say this and won´t respond because it always gets hijacked or someone from a club I mention takes it as a potshot or my personal favourite, they create more strawmen than a drunk farmer.

Toulouse, despite having to deal with restrictions making it impossible to promote fixtures at beginning of season to sponsors, despite having to lose two of their most key players on eve of season and restrictions making bringing in new players immensely hard. Oh and paying for Travel costs of every other team. 

And despite the immense stupidity (that´s the best description of it, otherwise you´d would have to conclude it was a Union fan looking to deliberately kneecap Toulouse) of playing what should have been their setpiece game on a Thursday night (whoever did that wants locking away), they still averaged pretty much 5000 (4967).

So, we can say that is their floor and at their absolute worst they still got more people in than Salford, Wakey and were 200 behind Giants, despite Giants having near enough 15 years to build a fanbase in SL and who were having a great season. 

Noone with any sense would think it wise for a sport desperate for growth to lock out a team in a completely different market with that. 

Second, if it isn´t clear to people right now, the idea of depending on NRL to give meaningful internationals is dead. Not building semi competitive european competition for England to play on FTA to attract new eyeballs and commercial sponsors is a longstanding failure that has now come home to roost. Australia aren´t coming, nor are Kiwis.. It´s not going to happen. So when we have two clubs in France who could provide a core of French players to have that game, the sport would be mad, literally mad, to turn its back on this.

It is all the more baffling as the sport has shown it can do it with expansion clubs as it did protect Catalan and catalan has grown to be one of the better run clubs in the comp. So the sport already knows it can work. 

But perhaps the best arguement of all is the ´alternative´ people suggest (more of the same loop fixtures, more of the same hostile attitude to new markets, more people saying I won´t watch England play France when it has been pointed out that they are not the target market for those games) has led the sport to a massive cut in money from Sky, declinging demographics and me being one of the younger fans of the sport even though I´m already 30. 

Having Toulouse scrabble around in a part time league, paying for flights, then putting their derby on a thursday evening is another act of Self Sabotage. 

The reality is it doesn´t even half to be either or. We´ve more than enough teams with a good solid fanbase and the infrastructure for a 14 team SL to give Toulouse a chance to grow and still have your Fev´s or Widnes (no laughing at the back) to get up. 

14 team league: Hull/KR, Pies/Saints Catalan/Toulouse then a Fev /Cas or Widnes / Wire. Local derbies, international market, growth and a big game every week for tv without loop fixtures. 

But not the money 

• Confused 1