RL Action TV Program from 80's

rlno1

1 hour ago, wasginger said:

Screensport used to show French Rugby League in the 80's. 

Good call! I think those games had Keith Macklin on comms too.

Around about that time Fev played Batley in a live TV game on Sunday lunchtime. I think that was British Aerospace Broadcasting 

2 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Maybe you are thinking of 'Trans World Sport' (means something totally different nowadays eh?) That was on C4 and used to feature quite a bit of Aussie RL.

And I'm possibly going even more senile than I thought but I seem to remember it being voiced over by David 'Kid' Jensen??

Can't imagine Richard Partridge fronting an RL programme now. 

Trans World Sport was voiced by a guy called Bruce Hammal who used to do the voiceovers for Sky Sports many years ago. There was a similar type show that was only 30 minutes long which Kid Jensen used to do - something like Gillette World Sport or something similar. I think ITV used to show it in the middle of the night possibly?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thirteenthman said:

Trans World Sport was voiced by a guy called Bruce Hammal who used to do the voiceovers for Sky Sports many years ago. There was a similar type show that was only 30 minutes long which Kid Jensen used to do - something like Gillette World Sport or something similar. I think ITV used to show it in the middle of the night possibly?

This was Trans World Sport's finest hour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Around the same time Granada TV used to a midday Saturday afternoon game live. I'm pretty sure that wasn't available in Yorkshire.....

I think the Granada live Saturday afternoon matches started in the 1990-91 season, I can remember Fev going to Wigan and losing by about 20 points, the co commentator was Hull FC coach Brian Smith, he absolutely slaughtered us, about the way we played, the following week he brought his Hull FC side(who had a very strong start to the season) to Post Office Road, apparently, Peter Fox used Smith's comments in his pre-match team talk and we went on to beat them.

• Like 1

Remember at the end of a Wakey v Widnes game the ground announcer saying "Wakefield fans can enjoy viewing a rerun of the game on Yorkshire TV later tonight, Widnes fans will be able to watch Prisoner Cell Block H" 

• Haha 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, thirteenthman said:

C4 showed an hour of highlights of the Aussie GF in 1983, some 8 days after the game had been played. 8pm on a Monday evening. According to the Tv Times it was the first time the game had been seen on Tv in this country.

c4rl.jpg

What a line up, heres lucy, aussie GF and the prisoner. The golden age of FTA TV. (well almost….8 hours of the labour party conference is hardly a match for heres lucy)

You must have a fantastic TV times collection if you have been able to unearth this.😊

• Like 2

12 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Good call! I think those games had Keith Macklin on comms too.

Around about that time Fev played Batley in a live TV game on Sunday lunchtime. I think that was British Aerospace Broadcasting 

Now you've mentioned that i'm pretty sure there was a live game from Fartown shown too, i remeber Stuart Cocker scoring for us but cannot remember the details.

10 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

What a line up, heres lucy, aussie GF and the prisoner. The golden age of FTA TV. (well almost….8 hours of the labour party conference is hardly a match for heres lucy)

You must have a fantastic TV times collection if you have been able to unearth this.😊

Not my collection sadly - there's a guy on Twitter who posts listings from old TV and Radio Times every day.

I bought Keith Macklin's autobiography and, while the RL connections are interesting, Keith was in at the start of several significant innovations in UK broadcasting, so the book is an enlightening look at that subject too.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 25/02/2023 at 10:38, marklaspalmas said:

Around the same time Granada TV used to a midday Saturday afternoon game live. I'm pretty sure that wasn't available in Yorkshire.....

We were able to watch them in Hull as we had an extra aerial pointing towards a different transmitter and could pick up Anglia TV, if memory serves, and they transmitted whatever Granada were transmitting most of the time. It was a great RL fix on a Saturday afternoon.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 25/02/2023 at 15:56, roughyed8 said:

I have a recolection of Aussie RL on tv in the late 60s/early 70s when there was the Brit invasion with Mal Reilly, Phil Lowe etc.

Also i think Granada's RL Live stopped in 91 when ITV got the Union world cup who Insisted no other rugby could be shown during their tournament.

There was definitely Aussie Rugby League on Granada TV in the later 1960’s or early 1970’s. I remember watching the great Apesi Toga playing for St George.

13 hours ago, daz39 said:

Now you've mentioned that i'm pretty sure there was a live game from Fartown shown too, i remeber Stuart Cocker scoring for us but cannot remember the details.

1989 Friday night v York if I remember rightly.

Can't remember the score or anything else, but I remember them setting up the equipment in the Supporters club, big dishes, aerials etc.

14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There was definitely Aussie Rugby League on Granada TV in the later 1960’s or early 1970’s. I remember watching the great Apesi Toga playing for St George.

Aussie rugby league was included in the sports shown by Transworld Sport in the days when it was on Channel 4.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 25/02/2023 at 15:49, Szymala said:

Who did these people think they were wanting to actually watch rugby league ?

Us viewers of the Micron tapes were like a secret society. With RLW to read, too.

'Have you seen Illawarra-Souths ?  Swap it for the Sharks-Eels game before it has to go back.' Happy times.

Fond memories of me and my dad going to the local corner shop who used to rent out videos of Australian RL 🙂

15 hours ago, meast said:

1989 Friday night v York if I remember rightly.

Can't remember the score or anything else, but I remember them setting up the equipment in the Supporters club, big dishes, aerials etc.

Cocker scored for us so would have been later, pretty sure it was one of the 3rd division games.

On 26/02/2023 at 16:25, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm sure it was 1969 - it was the year Eric Simms was dropping goals for fun for Souths, so much so that they reduced its value to 1 point shortly afterwards.

1 hour ago, Szymala said:

I'm sure it was 1969 - it was the year Eric Simms was dropping goals for fun for Souths, so much so that they reduced its value to 1 point shortly afterwards.

Thinking about it I’m pretty sure the game I mentioned was in 1972. I’d just left home and moved into my first flat. I have a mental image of watching tv in that lounge. Toga was very young when he sadly died  in January 1973.