IMG Grading Unveiled

35 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

How many points to Fev get for a drug dealers son and Peter Kay tribute act compared to a Lord?

Twelvety

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

What about this section of the statement?

We were told that we would be able to attract investors because we would know exactly what we needed to improve to become an A-grade club. Unfortunately with the lack of detail in the proposal that transparency has yet to emerge. We had hoped we would have sight of the detail before the vote.

I wonder exactly what the clubs did'nt know about when they voted.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

What about this section of the statement?

We were told that we would be able to attract investors because we would know exactly what we needed to improve to become an A-grade club. Unfortunately with the lack of detail in the proposal that transparency has yet to emerge. We had hoped we would have sight of the detail before the vote.

If I read it literally then it's saying they were hoping to have specific details on what they, Barrow, specifically needed to change about their current set-up (etc) to get an A grade.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If I read it literally then it's saying they were hoping to have specific details on what they, Barrow, specifically needed to change about their current set-up (etc) to get an A grade.

Maybe they asked that first and were told " you'll only find that out after the grading process " , which is entirely understandable , so as they've then mentioned Leigh , maybe they've used Leigh's current status as a guideline to the level they'd need to reach to be promoted past the then ' lesser ' SL clubs including Toulouse 

It just shows the confusion with the process and the worry clubs have about being locked out , again 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Maybe they asked that first and were told " you'll only find that out after the grading process " , which is entirely understandable , so as they've then mentioned Leigh , maybe they've used Leigh's current status as a guideline to the level they'd need to reach to be promoted past the then ' lesser ' SL clubs including Toulouse 

It just shows the confusion with the process and the worry clubs have about being locked out , again 

I get their point but , isn’t the whole idea of the ‘mock grades’ at the end of this season to more accurately show where current teams would sit?

13 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I get their point but , isn’t the whole idea of the ‘mock grades’ at the end of this season to more accurately show where current teams would sit?

It reads like they wanted all that - and personalised solutions - before the vote.

Which is a point of view it's okay to have but they were never going to get that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

It reads like they wanted all that - and personalised solutions - before the vote.

Which is a point of view it's okay to have but they were never going to get that.

I wouldn’t have thought each club will get a personalised assessment/recommendations anyway will they?

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Maybe Barrow should have asked you instead of IMG 

Agreed 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Some clubs have never been Super League standard and never will and are quite happy to ply their trade in League 1 and / or The Championship, others will aspire to be Super League clubs and hopefully will work at putting everything they need to achieve that in place , for some it may not be a realistic goal, but that is life , we doubt always get what we want or wish for, but that shouldn’t stop you wanting to improve your facilities and product. For far too long the fans have  been ignored 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I wouldn’t have thought each club will get a personalised assessment/recommendations anyway will they?

They might do eventually but right now they should have very clear details of how the proposals are scored and should be able to pretty much work out their own and other teams scores. I would think that was fair and has been mentioned on here a few times that clubs have all the details. Turns out they don't.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

They might do eventually but right now they should have very clear details of how the proposals are scored and should be able to pretty much work out their own and other teams scores. I would think that was fair and has been mentioned on here a few times that clubs have all the details. Turns out they don't.

How do you know that they don't?

They have enough information to evaluate the concept, direct discussions have been held with everyone (or at least everyone who wanted them). Some clubs seem to want the evaluation to be done in advance, be given benchmarks and an action plan to address. Why on earth would RFL/IMG invest scarce time and money into that sort of work before we even have agreement on the idea?

People are asking for the moon on a stick 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

12 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

dont forget in those 2 years they will each  be given 3 Million to help facilitate that - compared to others who are given - lets say almost nothing

DP do you expect every club across the three divisions to receive the same amount from the TV deal?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Well the vast majority of clubs think they have enough detail to vote it through.

12 hours ago, RP London said:

I wouldn't know what to do with one! My dad was still using his when he died in 2009!!! 

That reminds me of a mate at work, up until the late 70's when calculators took over we used Slide Rules to do a lot of claculas equations for our engineering systems, my mate could never get his head round it so he used it to stir his tea at brew times!

• Haha 2

Not 100% relevant, but interesting to observe what's happening in Rugby Union. Ealing Trailfinders are not going to be allowed to go into the Premiership because their ground holds 5,000 and the top level requires 10,000. They can't upgrade it because of where it is and they don't want to do what Wasps, London Irish,Saracens etc. did and move to another town. RU is also assessing whether to pull up the drawbridge by drastically cutting the funding to their Championship such that they will have to become part-time. I'm pretty sure this is partially in response to Wasps and Worcester having financial trouble but they would basically be creating an elite more like the NRL where entry would be by application. Realistically not many clubs in their Championship would gain entry right now and are therefore would probably be locked out indefinitely.

The IMG proposals are a bit of a bodge to be honest, but at least they're offering a path that's more sustainable than throwing money at players to get a year at the top table and risking financial ruin, and not as draconian as those being discussed at Twikkers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That reminds me of a mate at work, up until the late 70's when calculators took over we used Slide Rules to do a lot of claculas equations for our engineering systems, my mate could never get his head round it so he used it to stir his tea at brew times!

That must have been messy when you introduced calculators! 🤣

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well put, with some realisation :-

"We believe the whole essence of sport will be eroded with promotion by spreadsheet and there is a risk that we will turn off our key stakeholders, the fans"

Indeed, if the premise is that you actually have a pyramid rather than separate leagues that are achieving different goals for different standards of club. Other sports don't have promotion and winning your league is an achievement in itself. Like winning the National Conference League.

We have this historic attachment to P&R and a slightly embarrassing assumption that we are like football. It's killing us, but it seems we can't let it go.

• Like 5

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

When me and my brother took over the business when he died (a week before he was at his desk!) my brother, who has an accounting degree, couldn't understand how he had been doing the books (red pen, black pen literally books!!) He could still do the wages in his head and a slide rule.. madness.

When my brother had moved back (he came back first) in 2003 first thing he did when he moved back was demand a laptop, it doubled the number of computers in the business.. it was 2003!!! 

Don't tell me we're not moving the business forward 🤣 

I can definitely empathise with many of the rl clubs too!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think they have said there will be personalised assessments ie this is where you scored points.. so they can work on where they need to improve where the low hanging fruit is etc. 

56 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Agree that it's fair to ask but I wonder if there is something around the 3rd party information that is mentioned. While they may have. Even told where its coming from etc it may not be the sort of thing that is accessible until that moment in time.. therefore it's not so easy to get hold of for either yourself or other clubs.. could imagine questions around that, answer may well be "we don't know until x date" which is not ideal but understandable depending on what the info is