Fri 26th May: SL: Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/05/23 at 19:30

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think saints got away with a lot of lying on but i am biased.

It's a clear tactic, watch the 1st tackle of pretty much every single set. It completely hinders the opposition gaining momentum and speed at the ruck.

Same when they are defending their own line. They would rather give the 6 again and control the ruck to number off than allow the uncontrolled ruck and potentially concede.

It was fantastic entertainment had everything a draw would have been fitting.

Yes Leeds made sure me poor choices but imagine the fatigue of playing with 15 men then a red card and still gettimg in those positions to win. Haven’t felt as proud in a loss for years, I think the Saints fans will think differently though

I'm not sure either team will be particularly pleased with their performance, though Leeds will be happier with their effort levels. I don't like the phrase 'don't deserve it' as it is rare that a better team (combined skill level, effort level etc) loses however I will say that I think that Saints got lucky.

Mainly though, whilst probably actually a poor quality match then it was great entertainment. I agree that a draw would've been fitting and I prefer them but you can't question the drama of an extra time like that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, glossop saint said:

I'm not sure either team will be particularly pleased with their performance, though Leeds will be happier with their effort levels. I don't like the phrase 'don't deserve it' as it is rare that a better team (combined skill level, effort level etc) loses however I will say that I think that Saints got lucky.

Mainly though, whilst probably actually a poor quality match then it was great entertainment. I agree that a draw would've been fitting and I prefer them but you can't question the drama of an extra time like that.

Im pleased with our performance, we played with 15 men for 50 minutes (losing some key players) and then golden point with 12 men.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Can we just ditch golden point already.

It's perfect for cup ties (where we don't want replays), play off games and finals.

Just not needed for regular season games.

• Like 8

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Im pleased with our performance, we played with 15 men for 50 minutes (losing some key players) and then golden point with 12 men.

Fair enough. I'm not sure many teams who have lost to Saints this year will be happy with their performance, they've been there for the taking. 

• Like 1

I am fed up of the corruption comments. I will ban on sight the next person. You know better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Golden point is pathetic. Two great games, this last two nights have been taken in to a drop goal contest and it’s shambolic. HKR, Wigan, Leeds and Saints all derserved a point each, without a shadow of a doubt. 

• Like 8

I am in the “scrap the golden point” group for the regular season, we can still have an exciting game just playing 80minutes. 
The best team lost to me, Leeds looked dangerous with the ball whilst Saints looked a disorganised, cluttered mess which has happened most of the season.
Matautia can go home now, he’s a massive weapon and a danger to saints and the opposition. If Leeds had not run out of players i think they would have gone on to win. Sangare is a pleasure to watch, i hope we can see more French players like him. Paul Wellens, Matty Smith, Mike Rush what a trio all we are missing now is Cunningham. 

We got very lucky there. We played against a side that had a few missing to start off with and suffered significant in-game disruption and scraped a win. The positive is we won and were in the top 6. With Huddersfield to come next week, we've got a chance at going 4 unbeaten, which we haven't done all season.

The lack of composure from us is staggering given that we are largely the same side that has had such magnificent composure since the back end of 2019. Poor distribution from Roby, dropped balls from perfect passes, going for drop goals when they were never on.

We were helped by the fact that Leeds lacked composure too. They had chance after chance to win that match and blew it. I'd argue that's more excusable given the disruption they faced and the lack of an organiser on the field.

• Like 5

As an aside, I don't like the niggle that's creeping into the game. I didn't like Sam Walters bounding forward laughing in the face of Curtis Sironen when he gave a penalty away. I didn't like the Leeds players getting in Jack Welsby's face when he knocked on. I didn't like Jonny Lomax doing the same towards the end at I think it was Walters. Not the spirit in which the sport should be played.

In around 2019, we had something similar and referees started reversing penalties. It stopped for a while. I'd welcome that starting again.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Gavin Harrison said:

Can't agree. It's a great concept. 

Agree 100% Im an avid supporter of golden point

Those lads go out on the field every week to WIN games of rugby not to cling on for a draw.  The whole nature of sport is about winning.

Look at the fantastic theatre of the last couple of nights. All that would have been taken away if both sides had shaken hands at 80 mins.

Euphoria for 1 set of fans. Heart break for the others. Thats what sport is all about for me.

Edited by Ragingbull
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I am in the “scrap the golden point” group for the regular season, we can still have an exciting game just playing 80minutes. 
The best team lost to me, Leeds looked dangerous with the ball whilst Saints looked a disorganised, cluttered mess which has happened most of the season.
Matautia can go home now, he’s a massive weapon and a danger to saints and the opposition. If Leeds had not run out of players i think they would have gone on to win. Sangare is a pleasure to watch, i hope we can see more French players like him. Paul Wellens, Matty Smith, Mike Rush what a trio all we are missing now is Cunningham. 

You do realise Wellens and Rush - especially the latter - have been very prominent at Saints for a number of years? 

9 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

As an aside, I don't like the niggle that's creeping into the game. I didn't like Sam Walters bounding forward laughing in the face of Curtis Sironen when he gave a penalty away. I didn't like the Leeds players getting in Jack Welsby's face when he knocked on. I didn't like Jonny Lomax doing the same towards the end at I think it was Walters. Not the spirit in which the sport should be played.

In around 2019, we had something similar and referees started reversing penalties. It stopped for a while. I'd welcome that starting again.

I agree with this. I appreciate that some is in the heat of the moment  but it shows a lack of class imo

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

The laughing is particularly off-putting. There was also the incident where Holroyd was hurt and dropped the ball, with Sironen laughing in his face.

Off-putting stuff, and classless.

• Like 2