Fri 9th June - Sun 11th June : The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Toulouse had composure with ball in hand. Everything seemed effortless when they got into the Fev half, and ultimately the composure showed. At times Shorrocks and Ralph looked like they were playing in dinner jackets... we never got near them.

Fev however, once Ford left the field, were left with a hooker playing SH and a  young, inexperienced half back trying to direct play around the field. While I believe that Lacans will be a very good halfback in the future, today was not his day. 

Today's loss is not the end of the world, unless we fail to learn from it..

Toulouse were the best team by some way.

• Like 6

Fev's Facebook in a bit of a meltdown but this was always going to happen at some point, they were never going to go unbeaten all season as despite the gap in the league standings they are not totally head and shoulders above everyone and I think most of the Fev fans who post on here have acknowledged that. The good thing for Fev is that the unbeaten tag is off their back early doors and they no longer have to worry about that, it will also likely serve as a bit of a wake up call or kick up the backside and if any of their players were getting complacent then when they go to training this week that will be out of the window.

Its a huge win for Toulouse though picking up 2 points at Fev when their main rivals for 2nd spot have already failed and makes up for their loss at Swinton a few weeks back. It will also give hope to a few more teams who have already played Fev and probably fancy their chances in a one off, that if they can get a good position in the playoffs then they could spring a surprise. Although the league table does not say it at the moment, I see this as been the most intriguing league in years just because Fev although dominant on paper are more vulnarable than the dominant team of previous years and its going to make for a great play off series.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Very unusual game to watch. Fev dominated up the middle throughout but Toulouse, who defended superbly, had six visits to the Fev 40 and scored every time, all of them through exposing Fev out wide, which has looked our achilles heel all year.

Obviously losing Ford in the first few minutes had a huge impact on Fev as the creativity was badly lacking afterwards, but the number of tries conceded was a concern, and to be fair Toulouse lost Reuben Rennie themselves.

Jake Shorrocks, who has been erratic as a goal kicker whenever I have seen him, was banging them over from the touchline like Frano Botica, whilst Craig Hall only made 1 conversion. 

Certainly livens the division up, plenty for Fev to think about from a defensive point of view, and we'll have to see how bad Ford's injury is.

Well bang goes my "Fev will be unbeaten prediction"

From what you and others say seemingly without Ford orchestrating things Fev are like a rudderless ship, but the defensive effort must be the main concern, thing is other teams who are capable will watch the game and learn from this Fev's season has just turned a different corner.

I didn't realise you were as dependent on Ford as is reported, are you also missing Riley Dean's contribution? I suppose this is the difference with the Leigh team of last year albeit we had some star performers you could take two or three of those players out and the team would still be domineering over their opponents.

I hope that Fev regroup and learn from this defeat, there is no club in my opinion in the Championship more deserving of making it to SL next year, too many times they have missed out for whatever reason. So is this the time for new recruits for the final push over the top, it will be money well spent ensuring that you gain the riches that SL will bring and especially with the format being altered next season in that on field performance is not the main criteria for promotion, it is far better to be in SL than outside of it come 2024.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

He could play stand off now Ford is injured.

What is the extent of Ford's injury? Was it a dislocated shoulder? If so, I'm wondering wether they will just manage the injury rather than opting for surgery to fix it properly as that would mean he would be out for the rest of the season.

34 minutes ago, kiggy said:

What is the extent of Ford's injury? Was it a dislocated shoulder? If so, I'm wondering wether they will just manage the injury rather than opting for surgery to fix it properly as that would mean he would be out for the rest of the season.

A dislocated shoulder, which was put back in, but he will need a scanty see the extent of the damage.

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

A dislocated shoulder, which was put back in, but he will need a scanty see the extent of the damage.

They normally opt for surgery to fix it properly, but due to his age they may not bother. Ben Laguerre had the same problem and has been out since early February 

Not Batleys greatest performance but good teams find a way to win when they're a bit off it. (Man City last night). We've got to be delighted with joint second at this stage as I don't feel we've hit our full potential yet. No easy games this season without Dewsbury in our league but no reason why we can't win the next 4 before a trip to Toulouse. 

Edited by Chris_T

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

Up to an hour yes. We are still struggling in attack but proving tough to beat. In fact our last poor half defensively was the first half against you.

Haven't lost since we beat you ( league only) and ground out some good wins.

2 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Big win for Haven again! 

Well deserved, but definitely looked like two bottom half teams, felt like the game was being played at walking pace some of the time.

2 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

In the weather conditions it's probably understandable 😂

True, although it was a good few degrees cooler in whitehaven than elsewhere. Beautiful drive over through the dales, mallerstang, eden valley and the A66 - couple of hours of amazing countryside. And torrential rain, thunder and lightning most of the way back 🙂

12 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fev's Facebook in a bit of a meltdown but this was always going to happen at some point, they were never going to go unbeaten all season as despite the gap in the league standings they are not totally head and shoulders above everyone and I think most of the Fev fans who post on here have acknowledged that. The good thing for Fev is that the unbeaten tag is off their back early doors and they no longer have to worry about that, it will also likely serve as a bit of a wake up call or kick up the backside and if any of their players were getting complacent then when they go to training this week that will be out of the window.

Its a huge win for Toulouse though picking up 2 points at Fev when their main rivals for 2nd spot have already failed and makes up for their loss at Swinton a few weeks back. It will also give hope to a few more teams who have already played Fev and probably fancy their chances in a one off, that if they can get a good position in the playoffs then they could spring a surprise. Although the league table does not say it at the moment, I see this as been the most intriguing league in years just because Fev although dominant on paper are more vulnarable than the dominant team of previous years and its going to make for a great play off series.

Excellent post❗👍