30 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

You'd be correct, they should have a policy in place. So should the player to be fair. 

I'm going to disagree with you there.   It's a workplace injury - in any other industry, there'd be nobody arguing that it was all the employee's fault that he hadn't taken out a personal insurance policy.

However, there's a Pandora's Box here and I don't want to open it.  Especially as the parties in question aren't contributing to the thread.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

16 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

That is not the case.Here is the quote - 

Lots of people around the country,including Labour MP's,seem to share the same feelings.Many have stronger views.

Do not mistake this post as in any way accepting the level of professionalism shown in the sport of rugby league in England. Nor the comments on Twitter, from a Super League player who chased the dollar in Toronto then whinged when the money failed to arrive.

One day the sport may improve and reach a nearly acceptable level.So may this country.

The bit you have quoted says exactly that. Without wanting to derail the thread, when cancer treatments are being delayed it is quite right that non urgent sporting injuries are not seen as essential. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

I'm going to disagree with you there.   It's a workplace injury - in any other industry, there'd be nobody arguing that it was all the employee's fault that he hadn't taken out a personal insurance policy.

However, there's a Pandora's Box here and I don't want to open it.  Especially as the parties in question aren't contributing to the thread.

Don't get me wrong it is absolutely the employers responsibility to have appropriate insurances in place. Equally if they don't have the insurance in place they bear a responsibility to their employee.

However a lot of sportspeople also take out their own insurance. I hope the player concerned manages to get this issue sorted as soon as possible 

35 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Don't get me wrong it is absolutely the employers responsibility to have appropriate insurances in place. Equally if they don't have the insurance in place they bear a responsibility to their employee.

However a lot of sportspeople also take out their own insurance. I hope the player concerned manages to get this issue sorted as soon as possible 

To cover lost earnings? Or the cost of that operation, which should be covered already by the club's EL policy?

41 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

The bit you have quoted says exactly that. Without wanting to derail the thread, when cancer treatments are being delayed it is quite right that non urgent sporting injuries are not seen as essential. 

It actually says that the NHS didn't think it needed any attention at all.

Just now, Griff said:

To cover lost earnings? Or the cost of that operation, which should be covered already by the club's EL policy?

The Operational Rules require clubs have adequate* medical insurance wrt their own players (and public liability and employers liability insurance).

*adequate is not defined, at least in the publicly accessible documentation, although there only seems to be a requirement for clubs to inform full time players of the details and exclusions of any private medical insurance that is in place. 

The RFL have insurance cover for all the pro clubs to make sure they do have some sort of insurance but this only covers catastrophic injuries and death.   As a player or agent I would have thought you would ask the question of what cover the club provides before you sign so you know where you stand. 

It’s not good enough at all but are all part-time Championship clubs reliant on the NHS to get their players fixed?

The way Keighley feel fine to just blame the NHS made me think this is the norm but, in this case, their local NHS trust has said no (which is understandable given current service pressures). 

3 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

It’s not good enough at all but are all part-time Championship clubs reliant on the NHS to get their players fixed?

The way Keighley feel fine to just blame the NHS made me think this is the norm but, in this case, their local NHS trust has said no (which is understandable given current service pressures). 

The answer is no. This seems to follow a pattern where the Keighley owners blame everyone else for problems of their own making. 

• Like 3

I have that familiar “Been hurt in an accident at work?” advert voice in my head.

Can’t believe Keighley don’t have the required insurance.

Can’t believe the RFL doesn’t have a mandatory professional sportsperson insurance policy for their clubs.

Can’t believe a player would not get their own insurance knowing his club was not adequately covered.

• Like 3

This is a worrying development.

In this case the injury seems to be a sports injury that for someone not a sportsman wouldn't be a concern.

It worries me that there may not be insurance for life changing injuries.

In many ways we have come a long way in player welfare but this seems so wrong.

Anyone know what the injury actually is apart from "it's his ankle" 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Can’t believe a player would not get their own insurance knowing his club was not adequately covered.

That would set a precedent for clubs to expect players to get their own insurance though and, before you know it, it’s the players’ responsibility across the board. The age-old method of eroding workers rights.

I’m sure some players do have their own insurance but it should be additional, not instead of. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Nothus said:

There's an interesting conversation between Ryan Brierley and Liam McAvoy (haven player) on twitter about this if you can be bothered to look for it.

Haven aren't exactly a great example, they have no money

47 minutes ago, Nothus said:

There's an interesting conversation between Ryan Brierley and Liam McAvoy (haven player) on twitter about this if you can be bothered to look for it.

I am actually stunned.

This is simply unacceptable.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 09/06/2023 at 15:26, gingerjon said:

I am actually stunned.

This is simply unacceptable.

Jeebus that's poor... the RLPA need to get more strength..  look at the strength the NRL equivalent have or the American leagues where they do battle for the lower paid players etc.. they need power to get this sort of stuff fixed.. its not that expensive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Jeebus that's poor... the RLPA need to get more strength..  look at the strength the NRL equivalent have or the American leagues where they do battle for the lower paid players etc.. they need power to get this sort of stuff fixed.. its not that expensive. 

It's quite amazing how much ###### professional players have put up with in the UK over the last couple of decades and done nothing about it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's quite amazing how much ###### professional players have put up with in the UK over the last couple of decades and done nothing about it.

The being-proud-to-follow "don't get ideas above your station" of a certain kind of working class northerner probably has a lot to do with that.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 08/06/2023 at 14:38, David Shepherd said:

Yeah, I pay BUPA for all my employees (only 5 of them). As you say, it's about £30 a month and it's very much in my interest to keep them away from the NHS if/when they need surgery or a GP appointment.

I'm a farty little one man band travel agency with a turnover nowhere near that of the average RL club.  If I can afford it............

whilst I agree with you I would imagine for a sport like Rugby the insurance would be much higher given the higher risk of injury plus the more likely more complicated injuries.

So not a good comparison, although the principle you comment on is right.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Absolutely diabolical that this even needs to happen. The club owners should hang their heads in shame 

It's disgraceful that a player who is in our second division is having to use go fund me in order to pay for his surgery, an injury sustained while playing RL. 

Keighley's owners should be ashamed of themselves, I understand that not all clubs have the funds to pay for everything, but not to have 10k to spend on an injury for one of your own players? Awful.

• Like 2

Oh to go back to pre season when they were going to be the primier club with a BD post code.......

Absolute laughing stock.  More bothered about spouting off regarding IMG than looking after their own players.  Young will be out of there as fast as he can and who can blame him.