Where will RL be in 5 years?

9 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

I haven't researched but assume the NRL is superior in terms of finances,

You have assumed correctly. NRL turned over ~ $600m Oz (300m Pound) last year, Super League maybe about 50m pound.

• Like 1

Northern hemisphere probably more difficulties. We have had so many chances to expand.

Southern hemisphere more expansion. A NRL team in PNG would probably mean they could have an international game without needing a competitive English team.

London RL  I hope can move forward as a spectator sport but the Broncos recent decisions have been absolutely baffling.

On 17/06/2023 at 00:26, Castleford Hawk said:

Alternatively, things will be the same as now with everything on hold until the 22 grading appeals from 2023 are dealt with in the courts.

This.

I don't expect IMG to be around in 5 years time, they will either go because they will consider they are 'flogging a dead horse' or will be politely told 'this ain't working'

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 2

Scrutiny needed.

Five years is too short a period to witness change..

Aren't we still erm reeling from the French Revolution? 

But I am wildly casting an almost hopelessly optimistic beam on the imaginary future.........

So all smiles-

IMG pat themselves on the back for their role in-

Increasing revenue through higher attendances, advertising, online and yeah TV revenue. (

Cas/Wakey/Bradford's grounds join the 1980s.

A full international programme

Participation rises, albeit via touch.

London, Newcastle, Toulouse, plus 2 more French professional clubs float around the Top table.

More supporters take a share in their clubs ala Salford.

Lots of joint enterprises like academies.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't expect IMG to be around in 5 years time, they will either go because they will consider they are 'flogging a dead horse' or will be politely told 'this ain't working'

My thoughts too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

On 16/06/2023 at 07:58, lemmy xaan said:

Longer term, I think all sport will move to simulation (as WWE in US is heading) and eventually digital/virtual driven by AGI where audiences attend but watch non-real (but can't tell it's non-real). Not a pleasing future, but insurance/social attitudes/legislation will make real player participation impossible. Indeed, the deep state probs wants no one going out anyway. How's the working from home chaps?

Super League final 2023 - Wigan Warriors vs. St Helens

Super League final 2053 - Wigan Wormholes vs. St Holograms

Wigan will of course be sponsored by Uncle Joe's 7-dimensional mint balls

Seriously? I agree with the "managed decline" line of thought of some posters.

I can see a single league but split into two conferences, which will be the current SL teams (except only one of Castleford/Wakefield will make it in) plus Toulouse, Crusaders, Newcastle and Midlands Hurricanes to give some kind of geographical spread plus a French derby. London won't make it in and Cornwall will have probably disappeared anyway.

Assuming Cas or Trinity disappears, you need one more club to make 16 so there will either be a mad scramble among the top-end Championship clubs, or Bradford get parachuted in, or the Cumbrian clubs see the writing on the wall and form "Cumbria RL" as their only realistic shot to get into the top tier.

As for those left out, I can see the lower-tiers becoming regionalised, so there won't be Championship and League 1, It'll be Division 2 East and Division 2 West and the geography of the game at that level will shrink back to the supposed "heartlands".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would imagine we will be here with Toulouse a top 4 side and arguing over whether Carcassonne or Leigh should be promoted to Super League.

The Challenge Cup final will be held in Wrexham and shown live on Disney plus.

Edited by Leonard

2 hours ago, FileyRam said:

Honestly with the rising costs on lower league teams with stadiums to host games and lack of promotion of the game from the local councils and community I really do fear for the sport outside of the Super League. Not sure how once the Super League is closed to promotions other teams are going to be able to get the right financial backing to qualify for Super League status, very little is being invested in the sport and is there really going to be any new clubs formed in big cities? Doubtful.

As a Dewsbury Rams fan I do fear for the future of playing at our stadium with the rising costs, lack of promotion from the RFL, low attendances. It wouldn't surprise me if in the next 10 years we are sharing with Dewsbury Moor at their ground.

I think there's every chance of a split for survival. SL 'franchise teams' playing in the summer and the rest returning to part-time winter RL with the ability to negotiate their own TV deal and attract 'summer fans' to watch some RL in their off season. 

20 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Increasing revenue through higher attendances, advertising, online and yeah TV revenue. (

London, Newcastle, Toulouse, plus 2 more French professional clubs float around the Top table.

Even 3 of these 7 would be pretty good. I'd even take 'a sparse but actually existing international programme' or 'participation numbers level off, albeit via touch' as being good outcomes.

On 18/06/2023 at 17:01, westlondonfan said:

Northern hemisphere probably more difficulties. We have had so many chances to expand.

Southern hemisphere more expansion. A NRL team in PNG would probably mean they could have an international game without needing a competitive English team.

London RL  I hope can move forward as a spectator sport but the Broncos recent decisions have been absolutely baffling.

Indeed......Ealing was best to stay in ...PL is now doomed 

Merge with Skolars for me and develop a hub at New River 

4 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

I think there's every chance of a split for survival. SL 'franchise teams' playing in the summer and the rest returning to part-time winter RL with the ability to negotiate their own TV deal and attract 'summer fans' to watch some RL in their off season. 

23 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Scrutiny needed.

Five years is too short a period to witness change..

Aren't we still erm reeling from the French Revolution? 

But I am wildly cast a almost hopelessly optimistic beam on the imaginary future.........

So all smiles-

IMG pat themselves on the back for their role in-

Wakey's ground won't be an issue ...the new stand is going to be fantastic 

7 hours ago, MidlandsJohn said:

Super League final 2023 - Wigan Warriors vs. St Helens

Super League final 2053 - Wigan Wormholes vs. St Holograms

Wigan will of course be sponsored by Uncle Joe's 7-dimensional mint balls

Seriously? I agree with the "managed decline" line of thought of some posters.

I can see a single league but split into two conferences, which will be the current SL teams (except only one of Castleford/Wakefield will make it in) plus Toulouse, Crusaders, Newcastle and Midlands Hurricanes to give some kind of geographical spread plus a French derby. London won't make it in and Cornwall will have probably disappeared anyway.

Assuming Cas or Trinity disappears, you need one more club to make 16 so there will either be a mad scramble among the top-end Championship clubs, or Bradford get parachuted in, or the Cumbrian clubs see the writing on the wall and form "Cumbria RL" as their only realistic shot to get into the top tier.

As for those left out, I can see the lower-tiers becoming regionalised, so there won't be Championship and League 1, It'll be Division 2 East and Division 2 West and the geography of the game at that level will shrink back to the supposed "heartlands".

Or in 5 years time I invented something that's makes me the number 1 riches man ahead of Musk and plan my NRCO ( New Rugby Code Order ) from the bottom to the top and becomes an instant success and then I picked up by my fellow Extra Terrestrial Space Brothers and Sisters and take the 1 Rugby code to other planets and Star Systems and it will happen ha it will ha ha ha ha ha.

On 18/06/2023 at 12:03, The Rocket said:

You have assumed correctly. NRL turned over ~ $600m Oz (300m Pound) last year, Super League maybe about 50m pound.

Which puts things into some kind of context - the NRL annual revenue is bigger than say West Ham FC, but not as big as say Tottenham Hotspur FC. The three big football clubs in the north west of England each had a turnover around £600M in 2021 (Covid affected, obviously).

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Indeed......Ealing was best to stay in ...PL is now doomed 

Merge with Skolars for me and develop a hub at New River 

New River is a dump

The area is a dump

No thanks.

6 hours ago, Leonard said:

New River is a dump

The area is a dump

No thanks.

New River is accessible, in the preferred North part of London (for most) ,is established as a RL facility for a long time, is more than big enough for Broncos crowds and has its own bar (with rugby league pictures up for God's sake!).....if by a miracle the one stand started to sell out the potential for building is there ....Skolars and Broncos fixtures means it'd get 20 plus fixtures a year for RL 

Because of course the option of moving all around London perpetually for 40 years is much better is it??

18 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

New River is accessible, in the preferred North part of London (for most) ,is established as a RL facility for a long time, is more than big enough for Broncos crowds and has its own bar (with rugby league pictures up for God's sake!).....if by a miracle the one stand started to sell out the potential for building is there ....Skolars and Broncos fixtures means it'd get 20 plus fixtures a year for RL 

Because of course the option of moving all around London perpetually for 40 years is much better is it??

You can't polish a ######, but that's one you can't even roll in hundreds and thousands either. 

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

This is a totally serious suggestion.  If Broncos and Skolars merge, call them Tottenham Hotspur RL, link up with Spurs, play the odd game in the Tottenham Stadium with advertising at Spurs games for the RL team. As a Spurs fan myself I'm pretty sure during the summer some fellow fans will go to a game or two, if only to see a team representing Spurs actually trying and not playing like d***heads.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

This is a totally serious suggestion.  If Broncos and Skolars merge, call them Tottenham Hotspur RL, link up with Spurs, play the odd game in the Tottenham Stadium with advertising at Spurs games for the RL team. As a Spurs fan myself I'm pretty sure during the summer some fellow fans will go to a game or two, if only to see a team representing Spurs actually trying and not playing like d***heads.

I for one would not be against it 

Honestly anything is worth a shot now 

The merge idea is a bit meaningless as Skolars doesn't have much to offer beyond the league 1 license.

I'd prefer they both play out of the stadium. Maybe even get some branding up so it's recohnisably a RL stadium (with the local authority on board)......imagine if Hughes had put his £20 million into developing NR over the years 

I really do think it can be built as the capitals RL hub 

I'd prefer a purpose built appropriate stadium for RL but that is not going to happen....this is the realistic way we can get as close as possible