Fri 23rd - Sun 25th Jun: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

On 21/06/2023 at 13:51, crashmon said:

Think there will be some upsets this week.....

For instance, London away at Batley is the sort of game that London agaisn't all odds win (then lose to Haven at home week after)

Super call there.

• Like 1

It must be hard work supporting some of these teams, but for unpredictability and entertainment value the Championship delivers every week.

And while we give Keighley stick every week - mostly justified - well done to them for making today's game a 'pride' event. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Spidey said:

Well done Swinton 👍🏼

Widnes - sort yourselves out lads

Hard to see Widnes winning again this season the way we're playing. I think 14 points is probably enough to be safe, but we have a run of 4 games against Keighley, Whitehaven, Newcastle and York, and losing all 4 of those would make it pretty close.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

It must be hard work supporting some of these teams, but for unpredictability and entertainment value the Championship delivers every week.

And while we give Keighley stick every week - mostly justified - well done to them for making today's game a 'pride' event. 

I don't think i would do very well if there was a tipping competition for the Championship. Some clubs over perform one week and under perform the next, but great entertainment with the unpredictability of the Championship

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

What seemed unimaginable before the start of the season but York are in real danger of getting relegated to League 1

That’s what happens when you have a small squad with a full team on the treatment table. Been a tough year this year, all we can hope for is for some bodies back now and a good run to the end of the season. The games we should have won on paper might come back to bite us, but as has already been said there are no easy games this year, anyone can beat anyone which is great for the competition but no so good for some of us supporter whose nerves are getting shot!.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

That’s what happens when you have a small squad with a full team on the treatment table. Been a tough year this year, all we can hope for is for some bodies back now and a good run to the end of the season. The games we should have won on paper might come back to bite us, but as has already been said there are no easy games this year, anyone can beat anyone which is great for the competition but no so good for some of us supporter whose nerves are getting shot!.

York gave it a good go today and the score didn't reflect the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, JonM said:

Hard to see Widnes winning again this season the way we're playing. I think 14 points is probably enough to be safe, but we have a run of 4 games against Keighley, Whitehaven, Newcastle and York, and losing all 4 of those would make it pretty close.

What concerns me is just how poor we are capable of performing.  Some of the tries we've conceded recently have been laughable. I'm not sure of the remaining fixtures but wouldn't like to chance 14 points being enough. Thing is, I've no idea who we are capable of beating.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Well done to Swinton, Widnes were dreadful today. Owens in particular had an unhappy time. All the early season promise has disappeared. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Great start for Barrow 16-0 up at Fax after only 15 mins . . Walmsley may be a try machine but he has defensive weakness's which the Raiders seemed to have picked up on.

He certainly is, I believe that takes him to 28 tries in 15 games in the league. Anybody have any idea what the record is for the Championship in its current format? He's got to be on target to beat it with so much of the season still to go. Think today might also be the 3rd time this year that he has notched 4 tries. The impressive thing as well is that he is doing it in a team that hasn't really played well this season.

11 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

He certainly is, I believe that takes him to 28 tries in 15 games in the league. Anybody have any idea what the record is for the Championship in its current format? He's got to be on target to beat it with so much of the season still to go. Think today might also be the 3rd time this year that he has notched 4 tries. The impressive thing as well is that he is doing it in a team that hasn't really played well this season.

There have only been 2 (full) seasons using the current format: 2019 and 2022. Matthew Ashton scored 30 in 2019 and both Lachlan Walmsley and Tee Ritson scored 28 last season. In the shortened 2021 season Craig Hall scored 27 in 21 games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2