Sun 16th July: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred League One games here.

SUNDAY 16th JULY
Cornwall v Midlands Hurricanes KO 13:00
North Wales Crusaders v Workington Town KO 14:30 at Chester RFU
Hunslet v Oldham KO 15:00

3 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Oldham signed two players today, Jamie Ellis from York and Andy Gabriel from Dewsbury. Plus have Josh Johnson making his debut. Should be interesting game Sunday

Up until today I thought it was going to be touch and go. With the new signings, two of which are till the end of next season, I'm more relaxed. Just hope they can settle in immediately. As Fordy said recently, the squad next year will be a middle to top championship squad, irrespective of which league we are in.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot

Crusaders are favourites tomorrow. This was meant to be a free weekend and quite a few Town players are away on holiday. We have had to draft 2 kids in from Wigan academy to make up the 17.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Midlands (just)

Oldham (just) and 

Crusaders (just) I'm hoping we get the win we deserved at Workington. Lost by two points on a controversial last kick decision. Workington players celebrated like they'd won the Challenge Cup; I'm hoping to do the same this weekend.

Fair play to Cornwall who've given the Hurricanes a tonking today. For a new club to be taken seriously they need to show progress year on year and they are doing that. Well done 👏 

As for the Hurricanes I don't know what's going on there this year. Squad looked promising last year but they've gone backwards this year and look like they'll finish second bottom. Something is not quite right 🤔

• Like 2

Having a nice local beer overlooking Falmouth harbour and trying to rationalise what we just watched. 

A lot of changes happening at Midlands Hurricanes that will take some time to work through. There's a positive outlook that might not be obvious from results though. 

Cornwall were excellent today with a real hunger and superior organisation. Great things happening here. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gogledd said:

Midlands (just)

Oldham (just) and 

Crusaders (just) I'm hoping we get the win we deserved at Workington. Lost by two points on a controversial last kick decision. Workington players celebrated like they'd won the Challenge Cup; I'm hoping to do the same this weekend.

Maybe next time

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yorks Tim said:

Having a nice local beer overlooking Falmouth harbour and trying to rationalise what we just watched. 

A lot of changes happening at Midlands Hurricanes that will take some time to work through. There's a positive outlook that might not be obvious from results though. 

Cornwall were excellent today with a real hunger and superior organisation. Great things happening here. 

The Mark Dunning effect im afraid

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Maybe next time

Yes, indeed. We were basically undone in the first 10 minutes when Worky scored two tries and we couldn't get our hands on the ball. Even without that we might well have lost as Muzza's got them playing as a well organised unit and the win was deserved. Hey-ho, Dews away next week - HELP!

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Maybe next time

I supposed I asked for that! Well done to Workington, definitely the better team today.

5 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

Thank you, Tim. We're honours-even for the 2023 season.

Good luck for next year and the move into the main stadium. The game certainly needs the likes of Cornwall and the 'Canes to do well and there are good times ahead, I'm sure.

• Like 2