Sat 22 July : Betfred RL Challenge Cup Semi Final : St Helens v Leigh Leopards KO 14:30 BBC1

Who will win?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Leigh Leopards

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/07/23 at 14:00

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

But it isn't. A cannonball tackle is when the third man in a tackle hits the standing player in the leg. Asiata was first contact, and in both instances, initial contact was above the knee. 

Spot on. A cannonball tackle is when the attacker is predominantly 'held'. The grub of a tackler can then pick his spot and attack the joint with force. Its like tackling a tackle bag in theory and the ball carrier can do absolutely nothing about the impact of it !

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

What’s legitimate about tackling with your head? 

That's not what happened. I don't know where this narrative has come from. He takes him down by the legs in full flight. 

"Player makes legitimate initial contact with upper thigh of opponent who is moving forward." 

They've looked at it and that's the conclusion, exactly as it should be. He's not attacked the knee, he's not tackled him with his head. He just didn't. 

I'm sorry for Paasi getting injured but making out Asiata's committed some terrible assault to the knees with his head is just absurd. 

They've got this one 100% correct. It was a quality piece of defence and should be praised, not vilified.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Southampton Leyther said:

They've got this one 100% correct. It was a quality piece of defence and should be praised, not vilified.

At the time and as it happened I described the tackle on Passi as 'Orgasmic' and was worth the entrance fee alone, for it's purpose it goes along with another Leyther's effort with John Pendlebury's tackle for Halifax on Mark Elia in the '87 CC Final but for the life I can't think who Fax were playing?

32 minutes ago, Southampton Leyther said:

That's not what happened. I don't know where this narrative has come from. He takes him down by the legs in full flight. 

"Player makes legitimate initial contact with upper thigh of opponent who is moving forward." 

They've looked at it and that's the conclusion, exactly as it should be. He's not attacked the knee, he's not tackled him with his head. He just didn't. 

I'm sorry for Paasi getting injured but making out Asiata's committed some terrible assault to the knees with his head is just absurd. 

We've reached the stage of civilisation where people are genuinely being accused of headbutting people in the knees. 

There can't be long left.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

I don't know what Ipape has done to be banned for one game.

Does anyone remember ? I know he hit Walmsley, but technically he cam off second best and Saints scored off the following play, but striking ??

The time of the incident is 30:57, for nothing only my own curiosity I will have look later.

48 minutes ago, Southampton Leyther said:

Absolutely hysterical reaction from some to determined defence chopping down 2 big lads by taking the legs. It's textbook stuff taught at U7's. Pathetic over reaction. Great defence. 

That’s not the reality of what happened on here - less maybe one or two posters. Plenty of people including myself said the tackles looked ugly; in particular the Paasi tackle. But if the disciplinary panel have deemed no case to answer, then fine, no issue. 

Good luck in the final. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, phiggins said:

We've reached the stage of civilisation where people are genuinely being accused of headbutting people in the knees. 

There can't be long left.

But the knee headbutts are not done in a passive manner, they are executed when an attacking player is running at force to use the attackers momentum to maximum effect so the collision of the head hitting the knee is that much harder!

There really are some Charlie Cairoli's who write on these pages.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

I don't know what Ipape has done to be banned for one game.

Does anyone remember ? I know he hit Walmsley, but technically he cam off second best and Saints scored off the following play, but striking ??

It's for the high tackle on Welsby that didn't get penalised in the game, in fact Saints were reduced to 12 men as Welsby got a green card for receiving treatment.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thunder Road said:

Also industrial action 5th - 12 August on the trains...Overtime ban on drivers...Plan B required. 

Best not get a train frrom Leigh then.

😉

• Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

This covers the extra man coming in when the momentum has been stopped by others, this is not relevant to Asiata when the player was in full flow. 

That's the bit I'm not too sure of, I'm not sure whether the 2nd line is saying, irrespective of if anyone is holding the player it can be a foul. It reads clumsily to me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Thunder Road said:

Any news regarding Asiate

14 minutes ago, LeeF said:

No nothing and no discussion either. Everyone agrees with each other. 

Reviewed by judiciary and no further action for Asiata, Ipape got one match for striking.

Edited by Harry Stottle

25 minutes ago, Thunder Road said:

Also industrial action 5th - 12 August on the trains...Overtime ban on drivers...Plan B required. 

Really, all I've seen is 31st July - 5th August?

Edit: Just seen, overtime ban in the week leading up to the 12th. Will need to check before travelling.

Edited by phiggins

40 minutes ago, hullste said:

It's for the high tackle on Welsby that didn't get penalised in the game, in fact Saints were reduced to 12 men as Welsby got a green card for receiving treatment.

It was for a late tackle, not a high tackle. 

"Contact off the ball. Strikes – strikes with hand, arm or shoulder – reckless."

49 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

That’s not the reality of what happened on here - less maybe one or two posters. Plenty of people including myself said the tackles looked ugly; in particular the Paasi tackle. But if the disciplinary panel have deemed no case to answer, then fine, no issue. 

Good luck in the final. Looking forward to it. 

Fair enough. I think there's been two or three on here with a massive overreaction based on seemingly seeing a different incident to most people, including the MRP and match officials. Plus the reaction on the cesspit that is Twitter (or whatever Elon is calling it now), with one Fan site account retweeting all sorts of nonsense, including a suggestion that Saints sue! It's all quite bizarre, and I'm not sure the language used by Wellens helped. And Wilkin did his usual attempt to make a big statement for attention.

For me, the only question on those tackles was whether there was an attempt to wrap his arms in the tackle. Personally, I thought he did.  

And I personally will need good luck in the final. Might need to get myself some blood pressure medication!

16 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Fair enough. I think there's been two or three on here with a massive overreaction based on seemingly seeing a different incident to most people, including the MRP and match officials. Plus the reaction on the cesspit that is Twitter (or whatever Elon is calling it now), with one Fan site account retweeting all sorts of nonsense, including a suggestion that Saints sue! It's all quite bizarre, and I'm not sure the language used by Wellens helped. And Wilkin did his usual attempt to make a big statement for attention.

For me, the only question on those tackles was whether there was an attempt to wrap his arms in the tackle. Personally, I thought he did.  

And I personally will need good luck in the final. Might need to get myself some blood pressure medication!

If I was one of those seen to be overacting then say but I called it how I saw it.  Also said that if I had been alongside him on the pitch I’d have patted Asiata on the back.  

Both tackles didn’t seem right to me but if that’s the way the judiciary saw it then fair enough but it’s not a form of tackling you would teach or coach as already said, no law to breach.

That aside, for effort and never giving in Leigh 100% deserved to be going to Wembley.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

If I was one of those seen to be overacting then say but I called it how I saw it.  Also said that if I had been alongside him on the pitch I’d have patted Asiata on the back.  

Both tackles didn’t seem right to me but if that’s the way the judiciary saw it then fair enough but it’s not a form of tackling you would teach or coach as already said, no law to breach.

That aside, for effort and never giving in Leigh 100% deserved to be going to Wembley.  

Yes they are tackles that would be taught, but with one proviso 'get your head in the correct position, behind or adjacent to the leg coming forward'

Edited by Harry Stottle

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

No, Jughead and Hullste seemed to have the most extreme views. Can’t recall anything particularly extreme from you. Can’t remember what you posted specifically but can’t argue with anything in this post 

32 minutes ago, phiggins said:

The tackles certainly split opinion on here, which was no doubt replicated elsewhere. It’s always a good idea to ignore the fringe elements on here though… especially if the blood pressure is a bit dicky… 🤭

• Like 1