Two investors

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

There’s no reason Oldham can’t be as big as Wigan, Saints and Warrington. It’s a big town with a lot of RL history and produces a lot of players. If money is invested into the infrastructure of the club and the junior game in and around Oldham then they could become a force 

How sad how things have turned out when watching this video.

My own personal short term ambition for Oldham is that we are up there competing with the likes of Featherstone, Halifax and Widnes. We need a few short years competing consistently at championship level and building up the local infrastructure and support, getting the local kids wearing the traditional red and white, before we contemplate super League. Too much too soon could be a disaster.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

It would take decades of work to be as big as those three. Mike Ford said he spoke to an age group of kids at a rugby league event and none of them knew what colours Oldham play in. 

Unsurprising really, there is basically zero visibility for most non Super League teams in this country. I bet most of those kids could have told you what Leeds, St Helens and Wigan etc play in - even a few teams in the NRL.

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Oh yeah it all sounded incredibly positive, I just think it’s hasty to say Oldham could be as big as Wigan, Saints or Wire. 

If Oldham were challenging at the top of the Championship and playing at Boundary Park, what sort of crowds do you think they’d get? 

Mike Ford actually said he sees Oldham as a middling to lower end SL club, which is probably about right.

But if the right man comes along and works at it for a few years continually learning and realising he has made mistakes along the way and then finds a formula to realise his ambitions (D.J. Beaumont) who knows what can be accomplished.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

My own personal short term ambition for Oldham is that we are up there competing with the likes of Featherstone, Halifax and Widnes. We need a few short years competing consistently at championship level and building up the local infrastructure and support, getting the local kids wearing the traditional red and white, before we contemplate super League. Too much too soon could be a disaster.

I agree that is a reasonable goal in the short to medium term. Hopefully that is something that is achievable to. So much of it is building up the "club", its not just the team on the pitch that make a Super League club.

16 hours ago, JM2010 said:

There’s no reason Oldham can’t be as big as Wigan, Saints and Warrington. It’s a big town with a lot of RL history and produces a lot of players. If money is invested into the infrastructure of the club and the junior game in and around Oldham then they could become a force 

I watched an old cup game on youtube, Oldham turned over the mighty Wigan side on a boggy pitch in front of a superb crowd. Ive always had a soft spot for the Yeds, even though the old ground had a microclimate akin to the Arctic circle....on a bad day, I had some great away trips there over the years. Great bunch of fans.

I would love to see them back in amongst it.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dkw said:

I watched an old cup game on youtube, Oldham turned over the mighty Wigan side on a boggy pitch in front of a superb crowd. Ive always had a soft spot for the Yeds, even though the old ground had a microclimate akin to the Arctic circle....on a bad day, I had some great away trips there over the years. Great bunch of fans.

Loved the Watersheddings and if at the bottom end the stand was like being at the opera:)

17 hours ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

The good thing is there were 230 kids there who now know who Oldham are and were given free tickets to come & watch. Ford has also lead the re-creation of the Oldham town team at junior age groups, negotiated a 10-year lease at Boundary Park from next season (Oldham Athletic c. 12k all seater in heart of the town) & is re-engaging with the fans. Super League is a long-term aspiration but we could easily be similar to Salford, Hudds, Cas, Wakey etc. RL is still strong in the town & the community clubs continue to churn out quality players.

Yeah, but apart from that, what's Mike Ford ever done for Oldham rugby?

....cue Life of Brian.

7 hours ago, dkw said:

The try scoring winner of that game is forever known in Wigan (affectionatley) as "Paddy Fekin Kerwin".

• Haha 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 19/07/2023 at 22:02, LittleboroRoughyed said:

You’re right Padge but I’ve seen more off field efforts in the last few months than in years & there have been a lot of lapsed fans returning & a lot more kids at the matches. It is a steep hill but we’re taking the first optimistic step as opposed to being on the edge of a precipice 

How many amateur clubs in Oldham mate?