New World Cup format confirmed for 2026

54 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I can't believe Grant said with any sincerity that "it seems every year were going up against a FIFA tournament so we may as well stick with what we have got (ie 2026 and 4 years after that)".

I mean of course, you might want to avoid the Euros, and yeah the Women's world cup is growing in popularity, and fair enough Australia have been fairly successful in the AFC Asian Cup.

But to then say "I tell you what, of all the FIFA tournaments to go up against for Media, Sponsorship, Commercial and national interest, I think we're best off going toe to toe with the Mens FIFA World Cup, which has just expanded to 48 nations nearly a quarter of the world's countries and is the highest grossing sporting event in the world and attracts more than 3 billion viewers" is insane.

Nothing demonstrates the myopia in the South Pacific, nor the total lack of commercial vision at the RFL, more.

The football world cup is in July, our world cup is in November. I'm not sure it matters as much as people think it does. 

• Like 6

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Can we please keep this thread to the original topic of the new-look World Cup, and not a barney about Great Britain (either the rugby league team, or the geographical/political landmass).

Feel free to start another thread on that if you wish.

Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

The football world cup is in July, our world cup is in November. I'm not sure it matters as much as people think it does. 

Sponsors work on annual budgets don't they? And the winter world cup precedent has been set. 

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sponsors work on annual budgets don't they? And the winter world cup precedent has been set. 

I doubt many, if any, football World Cup sponsors will be looking at the RLWC. We’re more Batchelors mushy peas than Mastercard. 

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There won't be another winter world cup, and I'm afraid we're not competing with football for sponsors. I wish we were!

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I can't believe Grant said with any sincerity that "it seems every year were going up against a FIFA tournament so we may as well stick with what we have got (ie 2026 and 4 years after that)".

I mean of course, you might want to avoid the Euros, and yeah the Women's world cup is growing in popularity, and fair enough Australia have been fairly successful in the AFC Asian Cup.

But to then say "I tell you what, of all the FIFA tournaments to go up against for Media, Sponsorship, Commercial and national interest, I think we're best off going toe to toe with the Mens FIFA World Cup, which has just expanded to 48 nations nearly a quarter of the world's countries and is the highest grossing sporting event in the world and attracts more than 3 billion viewers" is insane.

Nothing demonstrates the myopia in the South Pacific, nor the total lack of commercial vision at the RFL, more.

The current 4 year cycle was purposely chosen to avoid going up against the main international tournaments as much as possible. Any change to that will mean we always go up against a Football World Cup or Olympics. Like with much of the press release today their attempts to justify it are pathetic.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If Saudi Arabia get it in 2030 there will. 

Europe isn't going to let that happen again, Blatter and Platini are gone. 

I like a 10-team RLWC, I have always favoured this. Two 5-team groups followed by semis and finals would be the ideal format. I'm not sure why so many want a bloated 16-team tournament filled with teams made up of reserve-grade Australians. 10 teams also offers the possibility of some decent qualifying tournaments that add excitement.

• Like 3

Just now, eal said:

I like a 10-team RLWC, I have always favoured this. Two 5-team groups followed by semis and finals would be the ideal format. I'm not sure why so many want a bloated 16-team tournament filled with teams made up of reserve-grade Australians. 10 teams also offers the possibility of some decent qualifying tournaments that add excitement.

There is nothing ideal about having odd group sizes.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

It would be interesting to find out

and in any other sport there is a good chance you probably would at some point!

33 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Europe isn't going to let that happen again, Blatter and Platini are gone. 

I hope you’re right. Watch FIFA Uncovered on Netflix if you haven’t already, those two were just the tip of the iceberg by the looks of it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eal said:

Why? What's the problem? The Rugby Union World Cup does it with no issues.

The Union World Cup have done it because they've grown to 20 teams and its a means to an end. They've not shrunk to that. Before that they had 4 pools of 4, just like our last World Cup. 

If copying other sports World Cup was a justification then there is far more we could say about why we shouldn't be going down to 10 teams than picking one aspect, and for all the wrong reasons too, as to why we should.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

The Union World Cup have done it because they've grown to 20 teams and its a means to an end. They've not shrunk to that. Before that they had 4 pools of 4, just like our last World Cup. 

If copying other sports World Cup was a justification then there is far more we could say about why we shouldn't be going down to 10 teams than picking one aspect, and for all the wrong reasons too, as to why we should.

The benefits of a 10-team World Cup far outweigh any perceived disadvantages from having 5 teams per pool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we have gone from successful 12-team WCs, numerous successful 4-nation tournaments and a decent battle rhythm of internationals to the IRL announcing a regressive WC, potential “big 3” tours, and an argument about GB.

The sport lacks balls, creativity, foresight and any form of imagination. It’s a sport ravaged by nostalgia, selfishness and insularity. Pathetic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I don't want to argue or ostracise anyone, but, just on a point that's been mentioned, it's perhaps worth clarifying that geographically-speaking Ireland is in the British Isles - but that the 26 counties aren't in the UK.

Not anymore, at least here. According to former Irish foreign affairs TD Dermot Ahern: 

"The British Isles is not an officially recognised term in any legal or inter govermental sense. It is without any official status. The government, including the department of foreign affairs, does not use this term". 

Its not recognised over here. 

• Like 1