Burgess in at Wire (Merged Threads)

No idea how this will go but I’m a big Sam fan , he’s done fantastically well in his NRL career and is highly thought of at Souths so I really wish him well . At Wire he’ll need it . 

1 hour ago, DemonUK said:

Whats history got to do with anything, thats all gone, even your 11th place finish recently.  What matters is now and the future and at the moment Wire are Dire and the Burgess appointment could be a masterstroke (or not).  Lets wait for the future to unfold.  Burgess and Long dream team, now theres a statement I never thought I would hear

History tells you that no matter how dire Warrington have been at various times in their existence they have never been relegated. So history gives you an understanding that they are not the best side ever but they always do enough to survive.

And anyone who ignores the lessons history tells us is usually doomed to failure. (Not you personally)

• Like 1

Some people have brought up the relative experience of other coaches, you have to bare in mind what situation they step into. Maty Peet stepped into a stable club with players he knew well and had coached through the Wigan set-up. I raised an eye-brow at Peet's selection but the continuity seems to have paid off.

Burgess does not have that luxury, he doesn't know the club, he doesn't know the players and he is picking up a previous mess. 

I wish him well, he's got some guts (which he always showed on the field) at taking on this challenge.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Was the other ex Bradford player James Lowes ever in permanent charge at Warrington or was it only ever a temporary thing? 

He took over from Paul Cullen as a temporary coach, he had a run of 7 consecutive wins and was given the coaching position, in 2009 he had a loss of 3 games after a poor finish in 2008 and was replaced by Tony Smith.

• Thanks 1

He has the experience and pedigree. I’ve no idea about his coaching skills or intelligence. But if I was a wire fan I’d be more concerned about his drug and driving convictions and allegations of violence. Is he the kind of character to lead a top club?

16 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

He has the experience and pedigree. I’ve no idea about his coaching skills or intelligence. But if I was a wire fan I’d be more concerned about his drug and driving convictions and allegations of violence. Is he the kind of character to lead a top club?

There's plenty of coaches/managers who have checkered histories who get top jobs in many sports. People soon forget if success follows if it's failure it will all be brought up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

imagine if he does well at wire and the rot continues at the bunnies - he will be back over there as head coach as booting out the over rated babies sooner rather than later

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 09/08/2023 at 09:35, ELBOWSEYE said:

There's plenty of coaches/managers who have checkered histories who get top jobs in many sports. People soon forget if success follows if it's failure it will all be brought up.

Given the stories now coming out of the NRL they should be more concerned about his ability to work as part of a team. It sounds very much like he'll be operating exactly the same way as Powell did in that its his way or the highway. There's likely to be yet another mass clearout at Wire next year, with Burgess giving the boot to every player who he thinks doesn't meet his standards. This undoubtedly then means another year of complete disruption and another year of failure on the pitch.

Are the Wire board really prepared to wait until sometime in 2025 for signs that he's truly turned the club around and is likely to bring them success - can't see it, can you !!! 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Given the stories now coming out of the NRL they should be more concerned about his ability to work as part of a team. It sounds very much like he'll be operating exactly the same way as Powell did in that its his way or the highway. There's likely to be yet another mass clearout at Wire next year, with Burgess giving the boot to every player who he thinks doesn't meet his standards. This undoubtedly then means another year of complete disruption and another year of failure on the pitch.

Are the Wire board really prepared to wait until sometime in 2025 for signs that he's truly turned the club around and is likely to bring them success - can't see it, can you !!! 

Really clutching at straws there, it shows how he he's not prepared to accept drop in standard no matter the player, looks like we have someone who will drive standards of the club and playing group.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

It always heartens me that, despite all the success your lot have, and all the false dawns mine have, you still have to pop on every thread and show off your insecurities.

The idea (popularised by Rod Studd for some reason) that we have a new coach and clear the squad out every year is complete garbage; we've had three coaches in 15 years.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

21 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It always heartens me that, despite all the success your lot have, and all the false dawns mine have, you still have to pop on every thread and show off your insecurities.

The idea (popularised by Rod Studd for some reason) that we have a new coach and clear the squad out every year is complete garbage; we've had three coaches in 15 years.

2019 really hurt some of them. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I remember sitting with sonny nichol watching that final on holiday, priceless.

that's more than most can remember after been involved in a game with Sonny Nichol !

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

14 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

that's more than most can remember after been involved in a game with Sonny Nichol !

He wasn't happy to see me walk in with my wire shirt on but a true gentleman having photos after the game.

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Bit of a jump this.. oh, its st toppy, carry on

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Really clutching at straws there, it shows how he he's not prepared to accept drop in standard no matter the player, looks like we have someone who will drive standards of the club and playing group.

or is it that he refused to respect his boss and his bosses decisions and when his boss refused to do what he wanted him to do he had a paddy and went public. Lets see how he reacts when people start questioning his decisions. His actions show he's not a man to listen & respect other people's opinions exactly like Powell. Any player who questioned his decisions found themselves being pushed out of the club 

Edited by Saint Toppy

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

22 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

or is it that he refused to respect his boss and his bosses decisions and when his boss refused to do what he wanted him to do he had a paddy and went public. Lets see how he reacts when people start questioning his decisions. His actions show he's not a man to listen & respect other people's opinions exactly like Powell. Any player who questioned his decisions found themselves being pushed out of the club 

If you need some more straws I will put an order in, he hasn't gone public, he has a track record of keeping his council.

25 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Bit like your good self then.  

Ok, we’ll watch out for that.  Thanks.

21 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

There's likely to be yet another mass clearout at Wire next year, with Burgess giving the boot to every player who he thinks doesn't meet his standards. This undoubtedly then means another year of complete disruption and another year of failure on the pitch

And when is this clear out going to take place, clubs are recruiting for next year as we speak, if Sam waits for next year there will be no one left to sign fof the '24 season, ANC he can only have 7 overseas like everyone else.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

And when is this clear out going to take place, clubs are recruiting for next year as we speak, if Sam waits for next year there will be no one left to sign fof the '24 season, ANC he can only have 7 overseas like everyone else.

It will be players out of contract,there are places on the overseas, McGuire (Mikalaele is temporary) not sure on matautia only definitely here are Vaughan,kasiano,Fitzgibbon, Drinkwater, Dufty.