Vegas baby!!

9 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I telly don’t get why the NRL didn’t reach out to the URL rather than engaging with a union team.

One possibility that I'd not rule out is simply that the RU club got in touch and no RL club did.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

I can’t see that happening IMO.

Why not?

I'd even go so far as to say it's close to being the most likely explanation.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Whichever way you slice it, the NRL engaging with a Union team and not engaging with RL teams is really poor.

• Like 6

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 20/12/2023 at 03:45, Lowdesert said:

But the irony of the article is where it states ‘and they (NRL) score tries, not touchdowns - although tries ironically involve a player touching the ball down beyond the opposing teams tryline’.

The writer is obviously oblivious to the fact ‘and in the NFL they score touchdowns - although touchdowns ironically involve a player never touching the ball down beyond the opposing teams tryline’.

But I can forgive that as it is a good article overall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

But the irony of the article is where it states ‘and they (NRL) score tries, not touchdowns - although tries ironically involve a player touching the ball down beyond the opposing teams tryline’.

The writer is obviously oblivious to the fact ‘and in the NFL they score touchdowns - although touchdowns ironically involve a player never touching the ball down beyond the opposing teams tryline’.

But I can forgive that as it is a good article overall.

Certainly not Callum Walker standard 😉

It’s good to see the game being spoken about in Forbes.  They are not small time press.  

Great to see RL in the NY Post and a lengthy Q&A with Patty Carrigan:

His name is Patty Carrigan, and if world-class athletes and fast-paced, bone-crunching collisions excite you, you won’t want to miss him and his Brisbane Broncos teammates when the National Rugby League Telstra Premiership season kicks off with a compelling doubleheader for the first time in the United States on March 2 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas.

The Manly Sea Eagles take on the South Sydney Rabbitohs in the opener, exclusively on Fox Sports 1. FS1 also will broadcast Carrigan and Brisbane in the nightcap against the Sydney Roosters.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/22/sports/patty-carrigan-is-ready-for-the-nrls-massive-us-spotlight/

4 hours ago, Damien said:

The USA v Canada game has been confirmed:

This is great news, do we (anybody here) know who is funding this? 

7 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

No idea. Would it really need much funding anyway? Many 2nd and 3rd tier countries seem to have no bother putting matches on like this and seem to have far less obstacles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

The NRL are spending $10m annually on the Vegas weekend. Let's assume they've found some pocket change out of that for this.

34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The NRL are spending $10m annually on the Vegas weekend. Let's assume they've found some pocket change out of that for this.

Well that would be nice. The whole thing is a very exciting initiative, isn't it? I just hope the USARL gets a boost out of it. I see them as our best hope in the shorter term, for some credible NH opposition. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Being hosted at the Ed W. Clark High School. I’m looking forward to the massive event 

High school sports are a pretty big deal in the states. That looks like a venue that can hold a few thousand at least.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

High school sports are a pretty big deal in the states. That looks like a venue that can hold a few thousand at least.

Indeed, I'm not sure what else we can expect from what are essentially 2 amateur nations. It's in keeping with other venues for games like this.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Likely being funded by the teams themselves like the USA v Jamaica game was, but good that it's going on. I think the Masters game between the same two teams is the curtain raiser.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, IM2 said:

anyone got any ticket sales update?

@Yakstorm did an update on the Aussie forum, about 27 500 off the top of my head, bit of a slowdown in sales over chrissy and new-years, as was to be expected, hopefully we`ll start to see them climb again now until kick-off in about 8 weeks.

I keep hearing repeatedly that Las Vegans are big on walk-up sales on the day, hopefully with the 19 dollar tickets we might get a big crowd of people who just want to experience that amazing stadium at what really is a very reasonable price.

• Like 2