HUNSLET tomorrow

Peter Winthorpe

23 minutes ago, town blue said:

Is there any chance of long term injured players such has Barnes returning for play offs?

What do we want from these playoffs? I don't for a minute think we will go up but stranger things have happened. So would losing the final be the best result as we know what happens when you go up unprepared? At least finally we beat a team above us.

• Like 2

Just now, bobg said:

On a slightly different note, it is about time we paid tribute to the guys who look after the pitch, it looked superb today.🔵⚪

Yes it is spot on at present and will be a disgrace if we are ever forced to move away to BP - DP has far more opportunities for money making and is a far better / larger site to start with.

Moving to BP will kill off all the Town money making ventures

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Yes it is spot on at present and will be a disgrace if we are ever forced to move away to BP - DP has far more opportunities for money making and is a far better / larger site to start with.

100% correct, it makes no sense at all to move to BP, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

If it’s the old existing BP with a new stand then you are right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

What do we want from these playoffs? I don't for a minute think we will go up but stranger things have happened. So would losing the final be the best result as we know what happens when you go up unprepared? At least finally we beat a team above us.

I was delighted with yesterdays win, it got the monkey off our back and showed we can compete with the rest of them. A win next weekend and a good dig in the next round would do me for this season . You just don’t know what’s going to happen, we’ve seen teams below us now go away and beat teams like Donny and Hunslet, anything can happen.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

I was delighted with yesterdays win, it got the monkey off our back and showed we can compete with the rest of them. A win next weekend and a good dig in the next round would do me for this season . You just don’t know what’s going to happen, we’ve seen teams below us now go away and beat teams like Donny and Hunslet, anything can happen.

Great performance yesterday but not sure what we have left in the tank, several players clearly not 100% yesterday which made the win even more special.

Whatever happens from now, would have to say this season has been a huge success given where we came from at the end of last season.

The club has improved the coaching regime, player recruitment, potential comercial opportunities and as said earlier the pitch is now looking superb.

Would like to see us win a couple in play offs,  but speaking as a long time fan, I am more than happy with this season, yes there are areas where we need to improve but I am confident the current administration will be totally aware and have plans in place.

As always, Just needs everyone to get down to show their support.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Onreport said:

Great performance yesterday but not sure what we have left in the tank, several players clearly not 100% yesterday which made the win even more special.

Whatever happens from now, would have to say this season has been a huge success given where we came from at the end of last season.

The club has improved the coaching regime, player recruitment, potential comercial opportunities and as said earlier the pitch is now looking superb.

Would like to see us win a couple in play offs,  but speaking as a long time fan, I am more than happy with this season, yes there are areas where we need to improve but I am confident the current administration will be totally aware and have plans in place.

As always, Just needs everyone to get down to show their support.

100% agree , we started 2023 basically from scratch , definitely progress has been made in all areas. Take what we can from the play off’s and maintain our progress next season as we are starting from a much better situation.

🔵⚪

• Like 2

Easily best performance of the season , we deserved to win far more easily if we hadn`t had tries chalked off for no good reason .We had no ball for the first 20 mins but Hunslet never looked like scoring , we tackled them out of it .Their one plan was to bash it for 5 tackles , put a kick up , and hope to get lucky , We never looked like dropping the high balls all day .The pack and bench worked tirelessly all day and our runners caused Hunslet trouble out wide ......As for the ref he blew his whistle to start and end the game , i had no problem with that , it was just the way he handled the 80 minutes in between that was his downfall . UTT . 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

No

We need to get out of this league.  The RFL / IMG etc do not care about League one in any form.

SL have 23 games and they give them loop fixtures so they get more but they are happy that we only get 9 home games??

They are talking of changing Challenge cup to group stages {after all L1/champ knocked out] to give SL a couple of more games - not a single mention of changing anything in L1.

SL get 1.5 MILLION per team from CF

L1 get 20k "ish" so game days are the main income - so 9 more matches in championship = 4 more home games.

Last year was awful because RFL fixture planner decided to give us 8 out our first 9 fixtures at home -[before the good weather kicked in]

Going up is hard we all know that but:-

you get more CF in Championship.

We have a better team now than last season.

We have a better Club set up than last season

We dont have the "lets just have a pack full of number 9s plan" - We have a few big guys now

More matches in Champ than L1 so more home games to generate the off field revenue - Marquis / music etc

Bigger crowds?

The 2 coming down may build and go back up and we could be stuck in L1

So we must take any opportunity and I for one have confidence in GM and Muzza etc to get it sorted

• Like 1

Yes really enjoyed the match. Absorbed all that pressure first half, snatched a try then handled everything ( apart from that brilliant individual try) they threw at us as they got increasingly frustrated. Hell of a penalty count against us as well! 

• Like 1

On a separate note saw Caine Barnes the other day with arm in the type of sling which I'm guessing suggests a shoulder recovery. Hopefully be back next season! 

Also saw Kyle Amor at the match. Now what an addition that would be to next years squad! I wish!

• Like 1

By the way doesnt that play off system seem a bit convoluted and complicated to get a team promoted ? Going down to 6th in a ten ( even eleven ) team league , so a team with 7 wins makes the play offs . And with many of these , a play off system thats anything but simple . Whatswrong with 2v5 3v4 then a final 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DavidM said:

By the way doesnt that play off system seem a bit convoluted and complicated to get a team promoted ? Going down to 6th in a ten ( even eleven ) team league , so a team with 7 wins makes the play offs . And with many of these , a play off system thats anything but simple . Whatswrong with 2v5 3v4 then a final 

With only 10 teams in the league and only 18 matches it seems they are trying to pack out the season with extra matches.

Unfortunately we only get 1 home game with a shared gate then if successful we play 3 more away. Don't know if the gate split is beneficial with all that travelling

Perhaps someone could explain how that works.

8 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Neither promotion nor relegation in 2024 in readiness for IMG's full tenure in 2025 - for 12 years.

8 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Neither promotion nor relegation in 2024 in readiness for IMG's full tenure in 2025 - for 12 years.

Don't like the sound of that and don't think IMG will be doing us any favours.

Promotion and relegation has been thr natural order of Rugby league.

We may be following the Union model of the Guiness premiership where you have to have a great stadium etc not just a good team. Ask Ealing trailblazers their thoughts on that

1 hour ago, Peter Winthorpe said:

Don't like the sound of that and don't think IMG will be doing us any favours.

Promotion and relegation has been thr natural order of Rugby league.

We may be following the Union model of the Guiness premiership where you have to have a great stadium etc not just a good team. Ask Ealing trailblazers their thoughts on that

What’s the point in trying to get a winning side together, imagine if football done it, there would be riots. 😡

1 hour ago, town4me said:

Anyone see what yesterday's attendance  was?

Don't know and as an exile but keen townie I hope the town gets behind the club after a good year given where we were

I will keep paying my 1945 club subs and hope we do well in the playoffs and go on upwards. UTT

• Like 1

On another note , next year if we still have 10 Teams in our league .Why not play the season out as normal , then split the league into 2 fives . Bottom 5 revert to zero points , play each other home and away and the winner gets a trophy and some cash if the tight people who run RL can put some up . It would give the lower Teams more competitive games and a chance of actually winning something .....Top 5 keep their points play each other home and away , top 2 get promoted . No need for a play off plus it gives every Team 26 fixtures which would solve the lack of games problem .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ivans82 said:

On another note , next year if we still have 10 Teams in our league .Why not play the season out as normal , then split the league into 2 fives . Bottom 5 revert to zero points , play each other home and away and the winner gets a trophy and some cash if the tight people who run RL can put some up . It would give the lower Teams more competitive games and a chance of actually winning something .....Top 5 keep their points play each other home and away , top 2 get promoted . No need for a play off plus it gives every Team 26 fixtures which would solve the lack of games problem .

Sounds good

A lot better than the system we have now.

Getting this past RFL is another matter cos they dont care about anything outside SL

Trophy should be ok but money - no way = all the money has to go to SL