Squad for 2024.

jroyales

4 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

There are four good young players there. Pleased particularly for Cameron and Hirst. They will develop well with the senior players we have signed 

I'll be really pleased if we retain Hurst, impressed me last season. Pat Moran was our best forward last season but we need more strong runners 

• Like 1

On 21/09/2023 at 17:41, Rob95 said:

30th of September coming round so probably be some announcements after that . But concerning though that it was generally believed that our new unannounced coach had a say in the signings , we now know this wasn't the case and either said coach has backed out as doesn't fancy it ,or the signings have all been Fordy's and there was no coach lined up. 

I know pro sport is cut throat or in Roughyeds case semi-pro, but if what I'm hearing is true and I have no reason to doubt the family friend ,who knows one of our now former players , then Fordy is out of order and shown absolutely no class .  Most of, if not all of the not retained/released players have been informed of their release by text message , no phone call or meeting just a copy and paste text , not how I would like deal with any staff under my management etc. but hey morals , politeness are more important to me than hiding behind a text message to avoid confrontation  as that shows weakness .

Complete BS on a range of levels. One of the players released is a family friend and he’s confirmed that everything was handled professionally. This is just made up nonsense from people with their own agenda to push. All a bit sad really.

Edited by Roughyed Rats
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, shaw llewellyn said:

The club did say they wanted to build a team for the championship even if we were in league 1. Whilst I did like a lot of the players on the released list they didn't perform in league 1 and I guess the club have decided that they wouldn't improve enough to become championship players. I do find it odd that all these decisions are being made before a coach is appointed though.

Unless he has been signed but can’t be announced until the current season is over of course.

Edited by Roughyed Rats
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FailsworthYed said:

I'll be really pleased if we retain Hurst, impressed me last season. Pat Moran was our best forward last season but we need more strong runners 

Just shows how good Wilkinson did behind a much beaten pack all season to get the player of the year award, I think Ford will address the lack of fire power in the forwards this season. 

wardle and turner already amazing recruits, any idea on the head coach ?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Complete BS on a range of levels. One of the players released is a family friend and he’s confirmed that everything was handled professionally. This is just made up nonsense from people with their own agenda to push. All a bit sad really.

Can’t see the accusations being true, I will speak to one of the players family this week to find out. 

5 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

I don’t believe a professional operator like Ford would send a text  message to let players go.

I would love to know what went on in the final 3 games ?  

Sad to disappoint you but it is true , I managed to get my mobile number to the former player who at their request will remain unnamed . They forwarded me the text which I have read , they also  confirmed both they and several others were released this way . I very much doubt all 12 were released this way but would 12 phone calls really have been so hard in this era of rugby league cares and mental health etc . I'm not saying that I think most of the 12 should have been retained , I have issues with the way Fordy has handled it .I offered to have my HR speak with the former player but he said he was OK and had a HR at his main employer anyway.
So for the other posters it isn't BS I don't have an agenda apart from wanting Oldham to succeed but for any who believe I have some different agenda I  quite frankly don't care . Yes I have the right to an opinion as do you ,maybe as a Sam Burgess fan the glasses I wear aren't as rose tinted when it comes to Fordy , yes I think he has done a lot of good for Oldham and I have praised him for this , but I will not ignore when I think he has got things wrong . 
The text is not nasty but I am reluctant to post it just in case there are subtle differences in each text which could identify the player , my issue is you DO NOT treat people this way . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

You seem determined to stir the pot. obviously got your own agenda. The matters you speak of a are personal matter  and shouldn't be aired on a forum. If a player released had an issue with it he could take it further, but definitely not a public forum issue.

Lets all try to be positive moving forward.

Spot on

On 22/09/2023 at 12:09, Happyed said:

I guess that means we retain- 

morgan, whittel, Baker, Wilkinson, paga, Cameron, Hirst, Moran, rawsthorne, Johnson, Ellis 

I think that’s good business if we can strengthen from here 

Does it?

You have announced a list of players who aren't being retained, ie released. This is not the same as saying that the rest have agreed to stay.

Not intending to rain on your parade, of course.

• Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It's a sad state of affairs, when having a different opinion or observation becomes an 'agenda'. A forum is for the very purpose of general discussion, whether that be based on thoughts or facts. At the end of the day, we are all supporters with the same interest at heart. Airing a different opinion or making an important comment, does not make anyone less positive about their hopes for the future success of the club. That should be appreciated, rather than condemned.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's a sad state of affairs, when having a different opinion or observation becomes an 'agenda'. A forum is for the very purpose of general discussion, whether that be based on thoughts or facts. At the end of the day, we are all supporters with the same interest at heart. Airing a different opinion or making an important comment, does not make anyone less positive about their hopes for the future success of the club. That should be appreciated, rather than condemned.

Completely agree. Most people on here genuinely don’t have a problem with different opinions. However, where individuals only put posts on having a go, with little evidence of positively supporting the club, it makes people question their motives.

51 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Does it?

You have announced a list of players who aren't being retained, ie released. This is not the same as saying that the rest have agreed to stay.

whittel, , Moran, rawsthorne, Johnson, Ellis are on 2 year contracts.  Turner and Wardle have just signed two year contracts  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Does it?

Don’t worry yourself. They’re mostly on contract fella 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

whittel, , Moran, rawsthorne, Johnson, Ellis are on 2 year contracts.  Turner and Wardle have just signed two year contracts  

Whittel , Johnson and Ellis I knew about, wasn't sure what the situation was with Moran and Rawsthorne but as they are not on the released/not retained list then hopefully we have convinced them to stay with us rather than return to France and Halifax ? . But I'd also base this on the fact that Carr who was not our player and up for League 1 young player of the season is on the released list , if that makes sense . 

As it stands there will be more signings announce to fill in the areas we are short but the list of props looks good . We all could see that we went into the season short on props which was made even worse when we lost one of them before the season got going , we should never have been in the position of having to get Pat Ah Van to play as a prop during a game , although he did do a decent job . If we had gone into the season with those props then Wilky and Slater and in fact the entire back line would have had a field day , but that's ifs and buts and I'm sure we'll be able to say that a few times next season . 

Not disrespecting Dewsbury who were by far the best team this season , but we appear that we will be more like Keighley were , of the teams probably coming down I don't think they will be the threat to us that Doncaster would be if North Wales upset yet another team .

On 23/09/2023 at 18:37, Happyed said:

Don’t worry yourself. They’re mostly on contract fella 

Oh thank you, old chap.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 22/09/2023 at 23:03, Rob95 said:

Sad to disappoint you but it is true , I managed to get my mobile number to the former player who at their request will remain unnamed . They forwarded me the text which I have read , they also  confirmed both they and several others were released this way . I very much doubt all 12 were released this way but would 12 phone calls really have been so hard in this era of rugby league cares and mental health etc . I'm not saying that I think most of the 12 should have been retained , I have issues with the way Fordy has handled it .I offered to have my HR speak with the former player but he said he was OK and had a HR at his main employer anyway.
So for the other posters it isn't BS I don't have an agenda apart from wanting Oldham to succeed but for any who believe I have some different agenda I  quite frankly don't care . Yes I have the right to an opinion as do you ,maybe as a Sam Burgess fan the glasses I wear aren't as rose tinted when it comes to Fordy , yes I think he has done a lot of good for Oldham and I have praised him for this , but I will not ignore when I think he has got things wrong . 
The text is not nasty but I am reluctant to post it just in case there are subtle differences in each text which could identify the player , my issue is you DO NOT treat people this way . 

Mate of mine is one of the released, not done by text, we move on 👍

• Like 7