Squad for 2024.

jroyales

2 hours ago, Happyed said:

33 year old hooker who will be 34 when we get into the championship? 

we are going to walk this league without him, seems a very strange last minute signing. Could have saved the money and improved off the field with the new IMG criteria. 

Doncaster seem to be the model to follow kept majority of last seasons squad and added 4 or 5 players of quality. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

33 year old hooker who will be 34 when we get into the championship? 

we are going to walk this league without him, seems a very strange last minute signing. Could have saved the money and improved off the field with the new IMG criteria. 

Doncaster seem to be the model to follow kept majority of last seasons squad and added 4 or 5 players of quality. 

So you're suggesting that the new owners should have stuck with last season's squad with a minimal amount of tweaking? No-one can argue with your point that doing so would have saved them a shed load of money but how would that have helped the push for promotion? As Henry Ford said, if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Massive changes were necessary to prevent the club being stuck in League 1 and eventually disappearing into oblivion, and the new administration should be congratulated for all improvements they've made and continue to make both on and off the field but unfortunately you can't please all of the people all of the time and you can't please some of the people any of the time.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

we are going to walk this league without him, seems a very strange last minute signing.

Not sure why you think it’s a last minute signing?  

• Like 4

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Fullback - Johnson

Wing - Agoro, Rawsthorne, Sambou, Turner

Centre -  Turner, O’Keefe, Morgan

Utility Back - Paga

Half back - Ellis, Craven, Astley, Tyrer 

Prop - Johnson, Chapelhow, Moran, Farnworth, Kopczak

Hooker - Aldridge, Wildie 

Second Row - Hirst, Gallagher, Wardle, Lawton

Loose Forward - Whittel

Squad = 25

• Thanks 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Wildie is an excellent and proven championship player. He's not a flash player with loads of great highlights but he'll be perfect at hooker at getting our pack on top of the opposition. The best performance last season against us at hooker was Doncaster away in the play offs. He wasn't the most talented player in the league but absolutely destroyed us with his use of their pack and they steamrolled us. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

Doncaster seem to be the model to follow kept majority of last seasons squad and added 4 or 5 players of quality

Doncaster will likely struggle in Championship by only bringing in 5 players. This is just what Keighley did last year. I know they were our boggy team last treat but generally they didn’t set the league on fire. They had some very tight matches over the season. 
They paid big money to bring in the three overseas players for the playoffs which worked but that team wouldn’t have won many matches in the Championship. 
On promotion, unless you have already built a team for that league (like Oldham are doing) the mix should be the opposite, ie retain 4/5 and add 20 of a higher calibre 

47 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Doncaster will likely struggle in Championship by only bringing in 5 players. This is just what Keighley did last year. I know they were our boggy team last treat but generally they didn’t set the league on fire. They had some very tight matches over the season. 
They paid big money to bring in the three overseas players for the playoffs which worked but that team wouldn’t have won many matches in the Championship. 
On promotion, unless you have already built a team for that league (like Oldham are doing) the mix should be the opposite, ie retain 4/5 and add 20 of a higher calibre 

8 players have left them as well. Keighley all over again.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2023 at 21:40, sheddingswasus said:

Kind words indeed, let’s hope we can.
When the new board took over in March, they said a return to SL was the eventual plan and wanted to achieve in 5:6 years. The key  to it was growing year on year and developing the club from the bottom up. They were fully aware of IMG and had already been in talks with the RFL to see what they had to do.
Bear in mind that IMGs model is historically based so it will take the club another two years to see much improvement in grading other than getting on the grade B ladder

Yes and I very much agree with that kind of strategy. I am genuinely not trying to be funny etc. I have no vested interest in Oldham RLFC but I do love rugby league. We need as many strong clubs as we can possibly get throughout the whole pyramid in order for our great game to prosper. I honestly long term see this as a fantastic opportunity for a great club to rise again in what I believe is a stronghold area for rugby league. I can still recall now the days I attended Watersheddings as an opposing supporter. The atmosphere IMHO was unbelievable. I think I’m correct in saying Wakefield lad David Topliss played for the club at some point. So anyway let the club take things steady and I am going to predict it now. I think that the club will ultimately achieve their aim of becoming a Super League club. In the short term I think it will be a rocky ride in terms of quality opposition etc. Squad strength is important but you can’t play them all. Club needs to monitor being taken for potential ride by some players also. However these are just bumps in the ultimate road to glory.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Keighley brought 10 in ahead of the 2023 season. That was after going unbeaten in 2022 with players already of championship quality.  We were competitive for the opening lot of fixtures beating York, Bulls, London, Newcastle, losing to Batley away on the hooter, but comprehensively beaten by Fev and Sheff. If our season hadn't imploded and players shipped out every other week, we'd have been comfortably top 8 imo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

I think I’m correct in saying Wakefield lad David Topliss played for the club at some point

Yes he did!  He was a great guy. Just before he joined us I was privileged to do a coaching course at Lilleshall with him, Dave Finch and Mick Morgan among others. Learned more off them than Albert Fearnley et al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheddingswasus said:

Yes he did!  He was a great guy. Just before he joined us I was privileged to do a coaching course at Lilleshall with him, Dave Finch and Mick Morgan among others. Learned more off them than Albert Fearnley et al

👍 Very good player was Toppo. Very respectful and unassuming man. Unfortunately he passed away at a fairly youngish age playing five a side football with his mates. Some great names mentioned there.

• Sad 1

On 01/11/2023 at 13:15, SUPERSTUD said:

Yes and I very much agree with that kind of strategy. I am genuinely not trying to be funny etc. I have no vested interest in Oldham RLFC but I do love rugby league. We need as many strong clubs as we can possibly get throughout the whole pyramid in order for our great game to prosper. I honestly long term see this as a fantastic opportunity for a great club to rise again in what I believe is a stronghold area for rugby league. I can still recall now the days I attended Watersheddings as an opposing supporter. The atmosphere IMHO was unbelievable. I think I’m correct in saying Wakefield lad David Topliss played for the club at some point. So anyway let the club take things steady and I am going to predict it now. I think that the club will ultimately achieve their aim of becoming a Super League club. In the short term I think it will be a rocky ride in terms of quality opposition etc. Squad strength is important but you can’t play them all. Club needs to monitor being taken for potential ride by some players also. However these are just bumps in the ultimate road to glory.

I used to love hearing the Oldham Tinkers singing that lovely song "There's A Good Time Coming".

• Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Fullback - Johnson

Wing - Agoro, Rawsthorne, Sambou, Turner

Centre -  Turner, O’Keefe, Morgan

Utility Back - Paga

Half back - Ellis, Craven, Astley, Tyrer 

Prop - Johnson, Chapelhow, Moran, Farnworth, Kopczak

Hooker - Aldridge, Wildie 

Second Row - Hirst, Gallagher, Wardle, Lawton, Taylor

Loose Forward - Whittel

Squad = 26

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple more signings to come apparently.  Safe to say we wont be relying on dual contracts or loans this season.  

• Like 3