Castleford stadium.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Any progress is great news, any improvements welcome. But I don't think his starting position of every RL fan would rather see their current stadium made fit for purpose over a new build. 

The likes of the Halliwell Jones and TW Stadium are far better than anything they'd have done at Wilderspool or Knowsley Road.

Ultimately, Cas just need improved facilities, if that's at Wheldon Rd, great, if it's a new build great.

I don't buy into the romanticised and often mythical 'character' point.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Yes because French RL grounds in 2006 were so great.

Indeed, they may have thought those facilities were poor, just as we all did, but let's not make out that French RL was in any position to look down its nose at these clubs.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave T said:

Any progress is great news, any improvements welcome. But I don't think his starting position of every RL fan would rather see their current stadium made fit for purpose over a new build. 

The likes of the Halliwell Jones and TW Stadium are far better than anything they'd have done at Wilderspool or Knowsley Road.

Ultimately, Cas just need improved facilities, if that's at Wheldon Rd, great, if it's a new build great.

I don't buy into the romanticised and often mythical 'character' point.

I put it in for the plans as opposed to the post to be honest.

On your point though I don't think there is a right or wrong solution. Both have their merits depending on many variables. I do think improving your current stadium needs to be a little more than just rebuilding 1 stand and tarting up the others a little though to really say it's a better solution than owning your own new build. Obviously in Wakefields case, and I think Castleford but welcome to be corrected, they wouldn't have owned any new build so in their situations I do think this is a better solution.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I put it in for the plans as opposed to the post to be honest.

On your point though I don't think there is a right or wrong solution. Both have their merits depending on many variables. I do think improving your current stadium needs to be a little more than just rebuilding 1 stand and tarting up the others a little though to really say it's a better solution than owning your own new build. Obviously in Wakefields case, and I think Castleford but welcome to be corrected, they wouldn't have owned any new build so in their situations I do think this is a better solution.

Agree Damien . I love WR and the special atmosphere it creates , but it would have been much better for the club had the original plan of a new stadium come to fruition .

The new build would have been a similar capacity to WR , so the atmosphere wouldn't have been much different to how it is now . We would have also been much better off financially, as the new ground would have been ours alone and we could have then sold WR , leaving us debt free at the very least.

However , sadly that didn't happen and so we are left with the option of improving WR to bring it up to SL/IMG standards instead. 

• Like 2

Fantastic news that (it looks like) Wheldon Rd is getting an upgrade hot on the heels of Belle Vue's upgrade. Wheldon Rd is a nice old ground, but it needs an upgrade.

I'm heading to Cas for the first time in 10 years for the Easter match v Leeds - it will be good to visit the old ground one final time before it is re-done. 

• Like 2

On 01/02/2024 at 05:51, goldcoaster said:

Fantastic news that (it looks like) Wheldon Rd is getting an upgrade hot on the heels of Belle Vue's upgrade. Wheldon Rd is a nice old ground, but it needs an upgrade.

I'm heading to Cas for the first time in 10 years for the Easter match v Leeds - it will be good to visit the old ground one final time before it is re-done. 

Did you say that 10 years ago as well lol.

• Haha 2

This thread typifies why I now visit this site about once a month

• Like 2

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

On 27/01/2024 at 16:46, dboy said:

I'm mean they haven't achieved planning permission. They aren't even slated for a committee date yet.

It's a step in the right direction, but permission is the next measurable goal.

Being considered on 15th Feb at 10am

• Like 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Finance is probably still the major hurdle. Unless Jepson is going to fund the rebuild they'll almost certainly have to wait at least until Axiom/Lateral know for definite that the Industrial Park is a goer, and that still looks to be some way off. Planning is obviously important but don't forget they've already twice had full planning for a brand new stadium.

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Finance is probably still the major hurdle. Unless Jepson is going to fund the rebuild they'll almost certainly have to wait at least until Axiom/Lateral know for definite that the Industrial Park is a goer, and that still looks to be some way off. Planning is obviously important but don't forget they've already twice had full planning for a brand new stadium.

Hi LTS , Axiom planning permission to be heard at same time  (15th February) , both are now 'recommended for approval' and no problems expected in getting passed

There may be a delay in release of funds as I'm not sure as to the exact agreement , however this shouldn't be an issue as Cas are about to start Plan B to bring current WR stadium up to required minimum standard, in order to achieve maximum IMG stadium points at the end of 2024 season , and I wouldn't have thought any new work on the main stand would start before IMG grading has taken place . By then (hopefully) all will be good to go.

Edited by Taffy Tiger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Taffy Tiger said:

Hi LTS , Axiom planning permission to be heard at same time  (15th February) , both are now 'recommended for approval' and no problems expected in getting passed

There may be a delay in release of funds as I'm not sure as to the exact agreement , however this shouldn't be an issue as Cas are about to start Plan B to bring current WR stadium up to required minimum standard, in order to achieve maximum IMG stadium points at the end of 2024 season , and I wouldn't have thought any new work on the main stand would start before IMG grading has taken place . By then (hopefully) all will be good to go.

Axiom are applying for full planning for the enabling works only the application for the actual build is outline, simply because they haven't yet got customer/tenants so don't know what they're going to be building! In their blurb they don't expect to be in a position to apply for full until (at least, with a following wind) a year later, and even then it is expected to be piecemeal. The initial plan was to be in a position to open the park in 2026 and we're already getting on for the enabling work being 6 months behind schedule, so......

Given their experience with the Retail Park plan, and having (rumoured at least) to have spent getting on for £20m so far, I doubt they'll be keen on potentially throwing away another £10m.

And re-Plan B,  I've heard rumours from a fairly reliable source that at least some of that (to reach the seat number threshold) won't be happening

8 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Axiom are applying for full planning for the enabling works only the application for the actual build is outline, simply because they haven't yet got customer/tenants so don't know what they're going to be building! In their blurb they don't expect to be in a position to apply for full until (at least, with a following wind) a year later, and even then it is expected to be piecemeal. The initial plan was to be in a position to open the park in 2026 and we're already getting on for the enabling work being 6 months behind schedule, so......

Given their experience with the Retail Park plan, and having (rumoured at least) to have spent getting on for £20m so far, I doubt they'll be keen on potentially throwing away another £10m.

And re-Plan B,  I've heard rumours from a fairly reliable source that at least some of that (to reach the seat number threshold) won't be happening

ok , fair enough

18 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

If I'm honest if that's how it plays out it sounds depressingly familiar. From what I have read I have no reason go doubt Lateral's intentions though.