Match thread: Championship Playoffs Semi-final. Featherstone Rovers v London Broncos. Sunday 8th October 2023.

marklaspalmas

51 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Clubs that are dependent upon away support aren't actually viable, are they?

Just now, Smudger06 said:

In truth. More viable than clubs that are dependent on leased stadia and the whims of millionaires mate. 

What with the TV deals not really up to much across the divisions.....

4 hours ago, Expatknight said:

Spoken like a true Rugby League fan, that attitude is why the game is still where it is and has been for 100 years and never will get any bigger, There is life outside the M62,.

Give me 1 example where expansionism has worked in the the last 28 years.  Don't say Catalans as they were already established and shoehorned in. 

33 minutes ago, coolie said:

Every penny helps, if you simply rely on home income, you can never advance or build, simply tread water and keep afloat, so Featherstone, Wakefield, Bradford coming to your ground doesn't help growing and pushing forward, next season we've an opportunity to strengthen our position thru those teams adding to match day revenue 

Dependent is the word that I used - you have simply twisted it. If a club needs away support to survive then maybe they shouldn't?

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Think it's about time Super League and The Championship split

Each get their own TV rights

Each market their own competition 

Generate their own financial income

Combine championship & League 1

And then split into two, forming the 2 leagues halfway through making 2 competitions, Championship and plate... Playing both down to a Championship Grand Final where the 2 championship team play, and the 2 plate finalists play. 

Make the Challenge Cup an open draw... None of this super league joining the competition in the final stages. 

1895 cup expanded  to incorporate more games. 

Womens grand final to be played at Old Trafford as a curtain raiser

1895 cup to be played as a curtain raiser for the challenge cup final 

Kids game to be played before the 1895 cup

Well that's how I'd run things🤔

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Dependent is the word that I used - you have simply twisted it. If a club needs away support to survive then maybe they shouldn't?

They may  not not need but they definitely like it lol.

Edited by Fevrover

3 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

They may  not not need but they definitely like it lol.

Indeed, but that is not my point.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 minutes ago, coolie said:

And then split into two, forming the 2 leagues halfway through making 2 competitions, Championship and plate... Playing both down to a Championship Grand Final where the 2 championship team play, and the 2 plate finalists play. 

Make the Challenge Cup an open draw... None of this super league joining the competition in the final stages. 

It's worth a look at at this point mate. Anyone any info regarding Central revenue for the 23 clubs not in SL ???? If Its not worth it then no point in hanging about in their system. 

Just now, Smudger06 said:

It's worth a look at at this point mate. Anyone any info regarding Central revenue for the 23 clubs not in SL ???? If Its not worth it then no point in hanging about in their system. 

15k to 20k each for tier 3 clubs I've heard knocking about....that's clearly not worth it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Central funding could be as low as 15k and not more than 20k

Super league players will be on that for personal terms.. That shows its totally inadequate for those outside the Sky Gravey train🤔

• Like 4

9 hours ago, lingaro said:

Because we paid a fortune for Caleb and had to fit him in somewhere.  Instruction from the top is my guess? 

Aekins won the Coaches Player of the Year Award. It doesn't take a genius to work out that he wouldn't be left out.

• Like 2

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

11 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Recruitment needs to improve. No idea who is charge of it, but it’s been wasteful over the last few seasons.

Interested in this viewpoint.

Out of the current squad who are the players brought in over the last few years that you would put in the wasteful category.

For me our recruitment has been good. There's always one or two in any team in any sport which dont work out. We've not been perfect but I think we put together the strongest squad in the division arguably the reason we walked to the title. Unfortunately that does not guarantee winning every single game.

I accept we got the coach set up badly wrong with BMac and Long but not sure you can say the same regarding the players.

22 hours ago, Expatknight said:

Why is it pointless? Surely you go to watch a game of Rugby League first and foremost, if your team wins great, if not, there is next week, but the main thing is being entertained for 80 minutes. Promotion is not the be all and end all, there are plenty of clubs who are happy to keep playing in the Championship as they know that the chances of being a Super League team is unsustainable and probably not achievable anyway but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a meaningful competition.

You do realise that without something to strive for crowds will drop.......the standard of players will drop....... investment will drop...... may as well go watch the amateur game.

Fev will never get into SL unless they do it on the pitch.......fair play we've not been good enough yet........I accept that

Licensing/Grading imo removes all excitement from the game.

There's a place for licensing........NFL, NBA, NRL........huge countries where every club is wealthy and wants to spend more than they are allowed to and there's a salary cap to hold everyone back.

Rugby League in the UK is the opposite.......everyone is skint.......fighting over an ever decreasing pie.

They use Licensing to protect the rich and to cherry pick clubs that they think could potentially be big and just sit and hope.

Everyone is excited that London Or Toulouse are going back up.........small clubs without permanent grounds and fan bases a fraction the size of Fev.........it's all built on sand.

I'm happy for Fev to always be in the 2nd division if that is all we're good enough to play in as long as we have competitive games and something to aim towards.........Grading will remove both.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

10 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

You do realise that without something to strive for crowds will drop.......the standard of players will drop....... investment will drop...... may as well go watch the amateur game.

Fev will never get into SL unless they do it on the pitch.......fair play we've not been good enough yet........I accept that

Licensing/Grading imo removes all excitement from the game.

There's a place for licensing........NFL, NBA, NRL........huge countries where every club is wealthy and wants to spend more than they are allowed to and there's a salary cap to hold everyone back.

Rugby League in the UK is the opposite.......everyone is skint.......fighting over an ever decreasing pie.

They use Licensing to protect the rich and to cherry pick clubs that they think could potentially be big and just sit and hope.

Everyone is excited that London Or Toulouse are going back up.........small clubs without permanent grounds and fan bases a fraction the size of Fev.........it's all built on sand.

I'm happy for Fev to always be in the 2nd division if that is all we're good enough to play in as long as we have competitive games and something to aim towards.........Grading will remove both.

But, but remember the last Licencing period and the success.....oh, hang on.....

I have watched Fev since 1938. There have been ups and downs throughout that time. Whatever happens I have remained a supporter and a volunteer at the club. Helped with the terracing the stands and money raising. I will continue as long as I can. UTR

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 16:31, coolie said:

Coolie, I know some on this forum have seen your comments and taken the hump but I will stand up and say what you say makes a lot of sense. I'm no fan of SL. I'd have the mullaney kids curtain raiser at Wembley but will go with everything else you suggest. Coolie for president 😁

• Like 1