Pacific Tournament: Australia, Samoa, NZ

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Does anyone know whether these things are shown on the Sky Sports app when they are on red button? 

sky will be more interested in showing some retro golf match from 1994 or an interview with some squash player than showing what could be the biggest clash of the world sporting calendar so far this year since last years wc semi - the sooner we are rid of sky the better - it was a happy marriage in the early days but we are long overdue a divorce 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 23/10/2023 at 17:48, Futtocks said:

This coming Saturday looks epic - Jillaroos v Silver Ferns, Kangaroos v Kiwis and England v Tonga.

This calls for a stock-up of top-notch snacks and booze!

This is always the awkward time of the year in the Dunbar household as I told Mrs D that the final game of the season was two weeks ago and today I mentioned that there was three live games to watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

sky will be more interested in showing some retro golf match from 1994 or an interview with some squash player than showing what could be the biggest clash of the world sporting calendar so far this year since last years wc semi - the sooner we are rid of sky the better - it was a happy marriage in the early days but we are long overdue a divorce 

Yes am now feeling that way too this morning 

I actually like their coverage.....for all people moan it is very good 

But having Aus vs NZ mens on red button a joke .....as usual none of the build up either

It's starting to feel like a deliberate managed decline of our sport 

I notice it isn't even an option as a sport on the guide now....even under 'other sports' 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Really? I'll be watching but it's hardly globally big, in fact the Aus v NZ cricket World Cup game will have more views worldwide. Which gets more viewers in Australia and New Zealand would be interesting to know.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

A cracker of a women's match on right now, by the way.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

A cracker of a women's match on right now, by the way.

It is.

I love watching the top class women's games.  Much less messing around at the ruck and proper play the balls help as it feels like proper Rugby League. 

But most of all because the players are tough, skilful and athletic.

Can't believe how well the Kiwi's have hung in in this game.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

They mentioned the Ferns' improved fitness in the match build-up, and they are not flagging towards the end of this game.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great win for the Kiwi Ferns.

• Like 1

Jillaroos 6:12 Ferns at FT - the Kiwis' first win since 2016. Great stuff!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

They mentioned the Ferns' improved fitness in the match build-up, and they are not flagging towards the end of this game.

Every element of the women’s game is pushing new boundaries. It’s really entertaining sport in its own right. I prefer it to a lot of mens games to be honest. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Really must dig out the thread where the majority opinion was that women shouldn't play rugby league.

When was that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Really must dig out the thread where the majority opinion was that women shouldn't play rugby league.

If you can find it, please do - I'd be interested to know people's reasoning for thinking women shouldn't play.

I can understand people not being interested in every version of the game, but can't think why anyone would think any group 'shouldn't' be playing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes am now feeling that way too this morning 

I actually like their coverage.....for all people moan it is very good 

But having Aus vs NZ mens on red button a joke .....as usual none of the build up either

It's starting to feel like a deliberate managed decline of our sport 

I notice it isn't even an option as a sport on the guide now....even under 'other sports' 

Bit surprised it's not on 416, Mix, Netherlands/Bangladesh cricket a red button game if ever there was one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

When was that?

I'll see if I can find it, I may be misremembering and it was only just a few comments - but it struck me at the time as being somewhat out of time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'll see if I can find it, I may be misremembering and it was only just a few comments - but it struck me at the time as being somewhat out of time.

Only if you can, it is not a big thing but I am surprised it would have been a majority opinion.

• Like 1

I can't find the thread I'm thinking of (which means it probably dates to pre 2016 (as searching back then gets hit and miss) - and I think I may have muddled a comment or two from later threads which I can find but aren't part of a whole thread specifically about women's RL.

I'll not derail any further because everyone should be praising what a fantastic game that was and what a, hopefully, landmark win that is for New Zealand.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)