Pacific Tournament: Australia, Samoa, NZ

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Only if you can, it is not a big thing but I am surprised it would have been a majority opinion.

One last thing before I venture into the biblical rain: it is genuinely pleasing how, across all sports, how quickly the women's game has become mainstreamed.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I can vaguely remember a thread on here many years ago that was embarrassingly misogynistic, though like you @gingerjon i dont remember the details, just remember it being amazing how many fans had the opinion RL shouldn't be played by Women at all, at any level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I can vaguely remember a thread on here many years ago that was embarrassingly misogynistic, though like you @gingerjon i dont remember the details, just remember it being amazing how many fans had the opinion RL shouldn't be played by Women at all, at any level.

The objectors tended to also opine that women shouldn't be allowed to do anything outside the kitchen or bedroom. I expect a few them are no longer with us, or are just wandering their neighbourhood yelling "WOKE!" at random things.

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay, see you on the men's test match thread.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

I do remember that thread.  And I also remember some attitudes... including "I wouldn't let my daughter play".

But I am sure the majority was for women and girls rugby and the loud negative voices were a minority. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Very annoying that Watch NRL doesn't show the game till exactly the stated kick off time.

It missed the first few minutes of the women's game.

Luckily most Aussie games kick off late.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Very annoying that Watch NRL doesn't show the game till exactly the stated kick off time.

It missed the first few minutes of the women's game.

Luckily most Aussie games kick off late.

Do you mean Sky Sports?

WatchNRL had full build-up and post-match.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Do you mean Sky Sports?

WatchNRL had full build-up and post-match.

The game broadcast on WatchNRL only started for me after kickoff... I was sat waiting for the 'play from live' option... and I refreshed the page several times.

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

One last thing before I venture into the biblical rain: it is genuinely pleasing how, across all sports, how quickly the women's game has become mainstreamed.

England and France have developed a huge (but very positive) rivalry in the Wheelchair game and I really hope that this can transfer to the Pacific Nations too. The women's game and the wheelchair game are both brilliant and refreshing formats of the game to watch. The test match a week on Sunday in Leeds (and there will be a big crowd) will be fantastic too.

I'm sure I will get stick for this but I really dislike this 'in your face' stuff after the haka. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

The game broadcast on WatchNRL only started for me after kickoff... I was sat waiting for the 'play from live' option... and I refreshed the page several times.

Did you select the match or the channel tab? The latter is the way to go unless you're watching on catch-up.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Did you select the match or the channel tab? The latter is the way to go unless you're watching on catch-up.

Match.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Match.

There's your problem. If you want to watch all the coverage, use the channel link. I switched on at 7:30am and got 30 minutes' build-up to the Jillaroos/Ferns game all the way through to right now, and all you have to do is put up with commercial breaks for utes, work gear and junk food.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Pulga said:

Kiwis need to learn how to kick.

Agreed. There's a standalone match thread for this game, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson