How many teams should SL have?

Personally I think that too many teams are propped up by central funding. If you can afford to be in SL you should get a place and that means not being reliant on CF to stay afloat.

The investment through sponsors and broadcasting is meant to be an investment in the competition, not its constituent parts. After all, how many of us have complained about the marketing strategy of SL. Well if they had greater funds to accelerate it, would we have a better marketed competition?

as many as can be afforded to give a reasonable amount of money to each team.

if you spread the money to thin then it will result in teams going bust trying to keep up with some clubs who are better funded.

so really it depends what the deals with media and sponsors are.

1 hour ago, Bamboozle said:

Ideally would love to see 16 teams if RL was in rude health in this country but think 14 should be the target.

I think 14 for now but if more money can be generated and playing numbers increased then 16 would be my ideal number with each club running an Academy. 

• Like 1

Clubs seem to want 13 home games, so with magic we have 27 games. It doesn't really matter how many clubs we have in the division from a fixture point of view because we have playoffs to balance out any unbalanced fixtures. Some whinge about repeat fixtures, some are happy that they get to see a big fixture multiple times (including Sky based on their picks for TV in recent seasons). 

3 divisions of 12 would be good, the structures could match up and allow for a better organised calendar. The gradings also show we have 24 B or above clubs, so we could support automatic P+R between a 12 team Super League and 12 team Championship.

Super League at 12 is probably best for now, shouldn't be more than that. It could go down to 10, but I suspect that would only be supported for selfish reasons. The money the game has should be better divided, not largely shared amongst a steadily smaller group.

10 For me too, nowhere near enough talent or money to have 14 and even with 12 the product is pretty average at best. 10 Teams will give all the teams in the top division more money and should take the better players aways from the 2 discarded teams which would help level up the competition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

6 or 8

I rarely watch Super League, but I want to know that what I'm not watching, is of a high quality.

No need to worry about that.

The problem with what a lot of people are saying is that we should have 14 to avoid loop fixtures. This assumes that every club should have 13 home games. Why, just because that's what they want? This has become one of the big issues of the game, the clubs dictate everything. They should do what they're told, not the other way round.

• Thanks 1