Kevin Sinfield's latest fund-raising challenge

What I find staggering is that he is capable of doing this after playing 573 games of top class Rugby League. 

I only played at amateur level (then did a few triathlons) and I could feel the aches and pains every morning. To go out day after day is incredible. 

He clearly looks after himself and so I hope it doesn't catch up with him later in life.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not sure if this has been discussed on here before, re Sinfield being Knighted and the reason(s) it hasn't happened, but I've definitely read about it somewhere. He was awarded an MBE in 2014 and apparently it's 5 years until you can be added to the honours list again. In 2021 he was awarded an OBE - so if this is true then he couldn't be awarded a Knighthood until 2026. I've just tried googling if any such 'rules' definitely exist but it's not very clear.

I think in the strictest sense you are correct, but surely under certain exceptional circumstances these rules can be changed and I would say this guy would definitely be an exceptional circumstance. Lets face it if David Cameron can be parachuted into the Lords to allow him to be in government without being elected this can't be beyond them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Expatknight said:

I think in the strictest sense you are correct, but surely under certain exceptional circumstances these rules can be changed and I would say this guy would definitely be an exceptional circumstance. Lets face it if David Cameron can be parachuted into the Lords to allow him to be in government without being elected this can't be beyond them.

If the government can change laws to suit whatever crazy plans they have they could easily change this rule 

sorry wrong forum 😉

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Expatknight said:

I don’t think it’s true anyway I’m sure people have received awards within a couple of years. 

He was on BBC Breakfast at 8:30am this morning - via the iPlayer link below, use the slider to skip to about the 2h29m mark.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001tl42/breakfast-18122023

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Earlier today Prince William came up to Headingley Stadium to present Kevin and Rob with their medals.

(No mention of Ralph Rimmer though.)

Love Rugby League quoting Rob Burrow

“I can honestly say that I never set out to be an inspiration, I just wanted to try and help other people in a similar situation to me. I’m just trying to live my best life with the cards that I’ve been dealt.

“I wouldn’t be here without the love and support of my wife Lindsey. She is stronger than any rugby player I ever played against.

What a man, and what a woman!

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rugby-league-royalty-rob-burrow-kevin-sinfield-officially-receive-cbes-from-prince-of-wales-i-never-set-out-to-be-an-inspiration?fbclid=IwAR3H1y6USc3Om2pIKt6eAT2JC7V4yFs51ycdSwNfeHDGQ1nberuDD3iC_Bc

• Like 4

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

On 11/01/2024 at 20:48, Lowdesert said:

And sky can’t even get Kevin’s name right.  Ffs, the amount of effort and money they’ve raised.

“Rob Burrows and Kevin Seinfeld awarded CBEs by Prince William”

Did I mishear on the evening news that Kevin had raised £5 million? I thought it was nearer £15 million? 🤷🏼

On 11/01/2024 at 18:12, hindle xiii said:

Earlier today Prince William came up to Headingley Stadium to present Kevin and Rob with their medals.

(No mention of Ralph Rimmer though.)

Was the King too busy or is this normal practise?

28 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Was the King too busy or is this normal practise?

Normally you travel to the palace and everyone who is being honoured receives their award in a large ceremony from The King or another member of the Royal Family.

It being The Prince of Wales isn't unusual, him travelling to honour two people individually is.

• Thanks 1