Wigan v Penrith World Club challenge at the JJB

On 17/11/2023 at 22:22, Leyther_Matt said:

It’s absolutely the latter 😂 

Sensible people now appear to be in charge of the D W Stadium.

Latics home fixture against Cheltenham has been moved forward to friday night to accomodate  this saturday evening K O live on Sky both in UK and AUS ( 7am).

Ticket details are promised within the next few days. Wigan clearly intend to monetize last years success and look to be going all out on this one. Christmas presents anyone ?

I like the line that Wigan are looking for their 5th World title whilst Penrith are still seeking their first ......

All very appetizing. Not to be missed. It's going to be huge.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, del capo said:

Sensible people now appear to be in charge of the D W Stadium.

Latics home fixture against Cheltenham has been moved forward to friday night to accomodate  this saturday evening K O live on Sky both in UK and AUS ( 7am).

Ticket details are promised within the next few days. Wigan clearly intend to monetize last years success and look to be going all out on this one. Christmas presents anyone ?

I like the line that Wigan are looking for their 5th World title whilst Penrith are still seeking their first ......

All very appetizing. Not to be missed. It's going to be huge.

Should definitely benefit both Warriors and Latics in the long run, to have the same owner. And hopefully a sensible call can be reached each time there's a clash. The big test will come when either side has a big cup or play off game at short notice, and seeing what gives when there isn't the best part of three months notice to reschedule something.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, I agree Harry it would be great if they turned this into a mini tour with a warm up game.

To take this one stage further I would like to see more games between NRL and the cream of Super League.

Not a ridiculous overbloated thing like previously which was embarrassing, but maybe the top two or three once every four years in a non World Cup cycle.

Who knows it could mean Leigh down under fighting for a big prize against their elite.

When there were 'Proper' tours, Leigh as most other teams played against the touring side up to and including '82, after that we were in Div 2 so missed out, it was the highlight of the season for me, but the thing was we didn't know who these players were we didn't have access like today, so there was the mystery attached with them, but we soon got to know all about them, in that game in '82 they had a couple of centres who were not to bad in Miles and Maninga and two halfbacks Mortimer and Lewis who came across as the select 6 and 7 but got left out of the test teams in favour of Kenny and Sterling, Leigh were the Champions that season 81/82 but couldn't stop this team running in 11 tries in what was a masterclass. The likes of rugby we had not seen before.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Should definitely benefit both Warriors and Latics in the long run, to have the same owner. And hopefully a sensible call can be reached each time there's a clash. The big test will come when either side has a big cup or play off game at short notice, and seeing what gives when there isn't the best part of three months notice to reschedule something.

BUt when Leneghan was there as Chair he also had a high profile position with the FA didn't he, and did the football club usually get first call?

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

BUt when Leneghan was there as Chair he also had a high profile position with the FA didn't he, and did the football club usually get first call?

Not sure what the EFL rules are for ground availability on one off incidents. Might've been more of an issue when the football team were in the Premier League, same for Hull and Huddersfield. 

• Like 1

You really do have to feel sorry for the Penrith club who can't seem to get a win in this competition.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I did try but its a hard no from me.

Have a heart.

They have suffered two pretty humiliating defeats away and when they were seen as the alpha club in the NRL and building a dynasty, they go and get beat at home.

I may be a soft touch but I can't help but feel sorry for them.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Have a heart.

They have suffered two pretty humiliating defeats away and when they were seen as the alpha club in the NRL and building a dynasty, they go and get beat at home.

I may be a soft touch but I can't help but feel sorry for them.

And they will now have AI around to script the excuses......

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aerosaint said:

Amazing news. Does.anyone think tickets will go to general sale? Very tempted to travel up and make a weekend of it.

An 8pm kick off rules me out of making it a weekend unfortunately.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

4 hours ago, MattSantos said:

An 8pm kick off rules me out of making it a weekend unfortunately.

Surely it absolutely lends to making a weekend of it?! 😉 

Very tempted to head to the game given the kick off is perfect for when we’ll be travelling via Wigan anyway coming back from the Blackpool v Bolton match that afternoon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Surely it absolutely lends to making a weekend of it?! 😉 

Very tempted to head to the game given the kick off is perfect for when we’ll be travelling via Wigan anyway coming back from the Blackpool v Bolton match that afternoon. 

I really don't fancy a Saturday night in Wigan

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

28 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I really don't fancy a Saturday night in Wigan

Better than you’d think (and you know it’s something when that’s coming from a Leyther!)

Swan & Railway opposite the station is recommended by some friends who support Halifax who stayed there for the England v PNG game, plus the added bonus that it is run by a Leigh-supporting couple

Alternatively it’s a doddle to stay in Manchester or Liverpool instead

6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Better than you’d think (and you know it’s something when that’s coming from a Leyther!)

Swan & Railway opposite the station is recommended by some friends who support Halifax who stayed there for the England v PNG game, plus the added bonus that it is run by a Leigh-supporting couple

Alternatively it’s a doddle to stay in Manchester or Liverpool instead

Closest Leigh supporters have come to a railway

Yesterday was the day our new owner took full control. The ground is his, and he is a leaguie, so we play when we want now. He is a different level of professional and wealth. These are good days for us. I am so looking forward to it. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

42 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Yesterday was the day our new owner took full control. The ground is his, and he is a leaguie, so we play when we want now. He is a different level of professional and wealth. These are good days for us. I am so looking forward to it. 

I think the Football League may have something to say about that !

Anyway, as regards the WCC, I hope its a genuine sell out, at full, fair prices, a good, competitive game, with a narrow Wigan win and both teams make decent money out of the occassion.

It would be nice if Penrith had a competitive warm up game to make a little money for another club. Say Wakefield with their new facilities or a combined French side.

38 minutes ago, cookey said:

It would be nice if Penrith had a competitive warm up game to make a little money for another club. Say Wakefield with their new facilities or a combined French side.

Penrith didn't bother playing their first team in Round 1 of th pre season challenge last year before the WCC in Round 2.  I wonder if they see fit to have a warm uo this year.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

with Luai unsettled- Crichton departed and a couple of injuries they will be there for the taking again 

Not to mention last year they had a dog rough start to the NRL season and looked out of the running for a playoff spot for a while. If they have another bad start wakey could beat them

On 01/12/2023 at 11:07, Harry Stottle said:

When there were 'Proper' tours, Leigh as most other teams played against the touring side up to and including '82, after that we were in Div 2 so missed out, it was the highlight of the season for me, but the thing was we didn't know who these players were we didn't have access like today, so there was the mystery attached with them, but we soon got to know all about them, in that game in '82 they had a couple of centres who were not to bad in Miles and Maninga and two halfbacks Mortimer and Lewis who came across as the select 6 and 7 but got left out of the test teams in favour of Kenny and Sterling, Leigh were the Champions that season 81/82 but couldn't stop this team running in 11 tries in what was a masterclass. The likes of rugby we had not seen before.

Leigh didn't play the Kangaroos in 78 or 68, so Leigh didn't like most other teams play the touring side up to and including 82. From the 63 to 82 tours inclusive Leigh played Australia twice out of five tours or 2 from 4 if you discount 82 due to being in Div. 2.

Just saying.

If you have different stats I stand to be corrected.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Leigh didn't play the Kangaroos in 78 or 68, so Leigh didn't like most other teams play the touring side up to and including 82. From the 63 to 82 tours inclusive Leigh played Australia twice out of five tours or 2 from 4 if you discount 82 due to being in Div. 2.

Just saying.

If you have different stats I stand to be corrected.

I went to the 82 match, and got Chris Anderson’s tie up after going onto the pitch, which I wore until it fell apart. I had asked for his top.