Wigan v Penrith World Club challenge at the JJB

If there was ever a game in the last ten years where a fan could wear the badge ' I was there ' then this could well be it.

On paper Wigan are clear underdogs, out gunned in virtually every position by a Penrith outfit lording it down there for the last three years.

But hey Wigan  are in their own back yard, with a full house willing them on and even the most tribal of us supporting them against the real  0ld Enemy.

What's not to love about this ?

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

I’ve no love for Wigan

I’ve pure hatred for the convicts, almost on a Bradford scale.

It’s a 300 mile round trip but I’ll be there 

well if we can get to the roadmender once a year - you can make the effort to come up here

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

As an aside, does anyone know whether the new tackle height rules will be applied for this game, given the NRL haven't yet? 

They wont be, only applies to SL from 2025.

I believe the WCC uses International rules, so will be interesting to see how (or if) those change from 2025 onwards.

Edited by Whippet13

44 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

They wont be, only applies to SL from 2025.

I believe the WCC uses International rules, so will be interesting to see how (or if) those change from 2025 onwards.

It would be interesting to hear what the RFL say regarding internationals from 2025 onwards and how they see it being officiated. I haven’t seen anyone put that question to them yet.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

3 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

It would be interesting to hear what the RFL say regarding internationals from 2025 onwards and how they see it being officiated. I haven’t seen anyone put that question to them yet.

I imagine discussions are ongoing re international rules, although my money is on them remaining closer to NRL rules that SL ones until the NRL follow the SL route, which seems inevitable sooner or later.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

The corners of each stand haven't gone on general sale yet but if they do then capacity is 25,000.

They've now opened the SW corner of the South Stand, each corner is roughly half a full section wide so that end should hopefully sell out soon.

• Like 1

Impressive, looks like being a sell out, three  stands virtually sold out already. 

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

It’s about as close as the whole of rugby league in the UK will get to an old school test match night under the lights (seeing that the Aussies have given up with us).  I’d imagine there will be more neutral fans in attendance because of that and because of how good Penrith have been in recent years, so a total sell out seems a given. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

It’s about as close as the whole of rugby league in the UK will get to an old school test match night under the lights (seeing that the Aussies have given up with us).  I’d imagine there will be more neutral fans in attendance because of that and because of how good Penrith have been in recent years, so a total sell out seems a given. 

It certainly has that feeling doesn't it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Approaching 20k now sold looking at the Ticketmaster website .

The tryline corners not yet opened but the visitors end  ( normally limited to 4.8k ) is the only stand with plenty of space left.

And I doubt that will be ' neutral ' come the kick off !

• Like 1

On 28/12/2023 at 14:01, Whippet13 said:

I imagine discussions are ongoing re international rules, although my money is on them remaining closer to NRL rules that SL ones until the NRL follow the SL route, which seems inevitable sooner or later.

To give IRL some credit they usually keep international RL closely aligned to SL rules for whatever reason.

It's the RFL that feel the pressure to bend to the will of the NRL that's the problem.

10 hours ago, del capo said:

Approaching 20k now sold looking at the Ticketmaster website .

The tryline corners not yet opened but the visitors end  ( normally limited to 4.8k ) is the only stand with plenty of space left.

And I doubt that will be ' neutral ' come the kick off !

It’s generally only limited to 4,800 for football because licensing laws mean you can’t take beer to your seats so the concourses get very congested. With no such laws in RL, there’s half a chance they might get away with applying for a single game exemption from the SAG (which is the only way of getting to 25,000 capacity tbf)

Went on line this morning after getting an email from the RFL.

Four seats in the East Stand (in line with the try line) bought with no hassle.

ES2 for any Wigan fans who knows the seating...is it a decent view ? 

Even a discount for us old geezers 🙃

Town center Premier Inn booked Friday and Saturday.

What a different experience than when I tried to buy tickets for the Saints v Leigh semi final last season.

Can sit back and relax now knowing "Its on"

• Like 5

4 hours ago, yanto said:

Went on line this morning after getting an email from the RFL.

Four seats in the East Stand (in line with the try line) bought with no hassle.

ES2 for any Wigan fans who knows the seating...is it a decent view ? 

Even a discount for us old geezers 🙃

Town center Premier Inn booked Friday and Saturday.

What a different experience than when I tried to buy tickets for the Saints v Leigh semi final last season.

Can sit back and relax now knowing "Its on"

Usually Wigan attack that end first half.

This is a similar view from the opposite stand, the DW has good views all around, seat and row number will decide position, high/low how far in.

https://aviewfrommyseat.co.uk/photo/32172/DW+Stadium/section-West+Stand/

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.