Cornwall forced out of the 1895 cup

3 minutes ago, FileyBulldog said:

I don't think any team in the Championship or League One should be excluded from a tournament that all the other clubs in their same league are taking part in. If the location of the excluded clubs is an issue.......then don't have them play rugby in your leagues, simple as that.

As every day passes it appears that our game is sinking into the abyss at admin level

If teams don't want to go to Cornwall just give Cornwall a bye to the next round

• Like 12

Just now, The Future is League said:

As every day passes it appears that our game is sinking into the abyss at admin level

If teams don't want to go to Cornwall just give Cornwall a bye to the next round

It is a case of one step forwards and two back. Want to expand the sport away from just Northern England but then exclude Cornwall from taking part in a tournement that the rest of the teams in their league are involved in. Like you say if teams can't afford the away trip then tough luck, Cornwall get the W.

The RFL has been long overdue an overhaul at the board level. I have seen many smaller/grassroots sports that have a much better media presence than RL has in the UK. Hell even 8th tier football clubs probably have better exposure than Super League teams.

• Like 8

Perhaps Cornwall should reconsider their silly idea of being an expansion side in the south west. I mean perhaps they should be realistic and pitch up in stoke on Trent. 

Now I get that teams will want a sweetener to travel that far and the RFL will be expected to put them up in a 5* hotel. Also they would be obliged to play all cup games away because the championship teams couldn't lose the gate revenue. 

But I think img should seriously consider putting criteria on where expansion clubs can start if you don't hit Grade A* in the proposal no license. 

Criteria could be:

Distance from m62.

How much they are willing to pay other clubs to travel to them. 

Guarantee not to want promotion to the championship.

Quality of local hotels.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Perhaps Cornwall should reconsider their silly idea of being an expansion side in the south west. I mean perhaps they should be realistic and pitch up in stoke on Trent. 

Now I get that teams will want a sweetener to travel that far and the RFL will be expected to put them up in a 5* hotel. Also they would be obliged to play all cup games away because the championship teams couldn't lose the gate revenue. 

But I think img should seriously consider putting criteria on where expansion clubs can start if you don't hit Grade A* in the proposal no license. 

Criteria could be:

Distance from m62.

Quality of local hotels.

oh the permanent shrinking ambitions of the M62 corridor

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Midlands hobo said:

Criteria could be:

Distance from m62.

Quality of local hotels.

Come on man. You want the whole RFL to be as far North as possible? If the RFL accepted them into the league then they should be involved in everything the other teams are.

• Like 4

I’m seriously thinking that any one involved in RL from say Stoke southwards needs to break away fro the RFL and try to build the game on our own. The powers that be seem to be a hindrance not a help. 

11 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I’m seriously thinking that any one involved in RL from say Stoke southwards needs to break away fro the RFL and try to build the game on our own. The powers that be seem to be a hindrance not a help. 

The thing is there is no real benefit anyway to being part of the RFL structure. The money on offer is minimal at L1 level so southern clubs would probably be better off organising their own competition for their own ends if they could get enough like minded clubs.

Just now, Damien said:

The thing is there is no real benefit anyway to being part of the RFL structure. The money on offer is minimal at L1 level so southern clubs would probably be better off organising their own competition for their own ends if they could get enough like minded clubs.

I think, at this point, the only significant advantage, is access to insurance and trained officials.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

No it makes complete sense, the RFL wants to give Championship and League 1 sides a realistic chance to make Wembley. Sides like Workington, who's stadium is 325 miles away from Wembley but not teams like Cornwall who are 296 miles away.

We all just need to remember that the games showpiece day needs a game that reminds those southerners that we don't need them.

I just think money is so tight that one trip to Cornwall will probably wipe out several games worth of income for a League 1 club, so when they asked for extra fixtures they also asked to not have an extra Cornwall fixture because that would negate the benefit.

I would absolutely prefer this not to be a consideration, but if it fills the gap in what is a 1 season plan until we get a new structure in 2025, then what choice is there, is more clubs pulling out preferable?

54 minutes ago, Hopie said:

I just think money is so tight that one trip to Cornwall will probably wipe out several games worth of income for a League 1 club, so when they asked for extra fixtures they also asked to not have an extra Cornwall fixture because that would negate the benefit.

I would absolutely prefer this not to be a consideration, but if it fills the gap in what is a 1 season plan until we get a new structure in 2025, then what choice is there, is more clubs pulling out preferable?

I've lost count of 1 season plans that rugby league has had.

The Bad News: Excluding a team from a cup competition solely on the basis that their opponents can’t meet the costs of travel associated with one (additional) visit to their ground is completely bush league in a professional sport, particularly one with “National” pretensions at the relevant level.

The Good News: No one outside the RL bubble will find out that the 1895 Cup exists, still less that Cornwall “should” be participating in it, still less why they aren’t participating in it.

So. Blushes spared.

Edited by Veridical
  • Thanks 1

What the sport needs is a professional pyramid which is fit for purpose.

I din’t think there is a need to regionalise the division one below SL. Any club at this level should be at minimum semi professional at minimum and have realistic ambitions to win the competition.

Underneath that, it is clear Champ 1 is not fit for purpose. The sport went a bridge too far, bringing the likes of Oxford, Hemel, Coventry, West Wales Raiders and Gloucester into a national competition. When these teams were all entered into the professional pyramid, it should have been a Championship South and the other Champ One clubs re-divisioned into a Championship North. If there were not enough teams, then the RFL should be targeting some of the bigger NCL clubs to step up a level.

It shouldn’t take much imagination to think how the professional pyramid may have grown with a sustainable structure. It isn’t unfathomable to think a Champ South (at the same heirachy as the existing Champ One) could include old and existing names like Hemel, Skolars, Midlands, Oxford, Gloucester, Cornwall and West Wales Raiders, with targeted growth adding another three clubs from the locations the likes of South/East/West London, Bedford, Colchester, Devon and Bristol.

• Like 1

The difficulty we have is that the sport was established as a regional league and then morphed into a national comp.

Realistically we should decide on a level at which regionalisation should take place in our professional leagues. Currently we have regional sized clubs operating at a national league level. Only because of our history is that the case, there's no reason why that has to continue in future. 

For some that will be league 1, for some it will be the Championship even. Our whole structure is confused at the Semi Pro level, we have international clubs in the same comp as clubs who don't want to travel within England because of costs. That's fair enough if that is a major challenge to their revenue, but they shouldn't be in a league that can't afford that sort of expenditure.

I understand the difficulties heartland clubs have travel to Cornwall once in the league is enough for them and they obviously don’t want to travel there again for the cup. Having said that I’m sure they will understand the difficulties Cornwall will face having to make that trip every other week just to complete their season. As such I’m sure the other clubs would be happy to chuck some money in to cover their costs. 

• Like 2