Sat 24th Feb: SL: Huddersfield Giants v St Helens KO 5.30pm (Sky/SuperLeague+)

Who will win?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/24 at 18:00

19 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Having watched the Wigan, London and Huddersfield games this weekend (and with Salford to come), I think that SL is carrying a couple of teams too many in terms of quality at the bottom end. 

10-14-12 on the way?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

29 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Having watched the Wigan, London and Huddersfield games this weekend (and with Salford to come), I think that SL is carrying a couple of teams too many in terms of quality at the bottom end. 

Pretty much every sporting league in the world does. Look at the Premier League - richest (football) league in the world and the likes of Sheff Utd and Burnley are awful. 

• Like 1

Despite the scoreline showing 0-28 i came away from the ground feeling not too disappointed, yes i would have liked to have seen us score but Saints are a damn good side who were pretty spot on all game, once Welsby went over and it was 0-18 it became damage limitation as it was clear we weren't going to threaten their lead and apart from the 2 late tries, both from very flat passes at the very least, we didn't do too bad in containing them.

Attack wise we did ok but same as last year just don't have the nouse to unlock defences on the last play, it's always a un-challenged kick and keep them as close to their line as possible, it's becoming predicatble and boring, we have 2 fast, exciting attacking wingers who see little to no ball, wwe brought Adam Swift in to replace club legend Jerry who scored tries for fun and we've not passed him the ball in 2 games??

Anyway well played Saints, it's only the new world champions next so another tough effort.

Agree with comments about Tui being a full back, he isn't brave or fast enough in legs or mind to play there.

We missed Jake Connor's guile a bit last night i thought.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 3

Talked about how good Wingfield and Delaney were yesterday. But the other person who impressed was Daryl Clark. Good distribution, good defence and lots of running from dummy half - looked like the Clark of old (Cas days!). 

1 hour ago, DG70 said:

Bit of a reality check for Huddersfield tbh, until they do something about the standard of coaching they won't get to where they aspire to be IMHO.

Indeed, we are now in the 4th year of a 5 year, so called, 'process' and still it's much the same.

Each year this process brings in many new players, at great expense to Mr Davy, and each year it's  jam tomorrow. The solution being 'just round the corner' or inevitably some recent change to his beloved spine, being the cause of any failure.

This year, although having pace to burn down each wing and a decent new half back, the mindset seems to be exactly the same.

I think that when this experiment is finally brought to a close (hopefully soon) we will conclude that sadly Mr Davy swallowed far too much Snake Oil before seeing the light.   

• Like 1

Lots to pleased with last night. Dodd is looking a lot sharper this year. I noticed Wellens' comments about allowing him more freedom with his kicking game (suggesting Dodd's predictable kicks last year were playing to the tactics given to him). Early days, but Clark looks a step up on the 2023 version of Roby and Whitley has made a great start too.

Four points conceded across two games is outstanding and our attack looked more fluent too. Most pleasing of all is that our discipline was very good, something that was terrible last year and arguably cost us in two semi finals. A very encouraging start!

• Like 1

I’ll take the two points, a solid performance by Saints. I can’t fault Fartown for their effort they showed some promising touches, they will be a lot better than 23. The Saints goal kicking is still average, along with some of the PTB’s ie Walmsley & Blake. Full credit to the Fartown fans for backing their side for the full eighty minutes. 
My highlight was the Colne Valley Museum what a great place. I would love to visit the Tolson Museum but i think id get outvoted for that because i should be doing “what real men do” drinking ale before the game and continue drinking ale in the freezing cold. All in all a lovely day. 

• Like 3

Disappointing to be nilled but Saints were very good and unplayable at times, our effort was fine but we just lacked that bit of class that St Helens have in abundance and it showed in the end, although I think the scoreline did slightly flatter Saints they were good value for the win.

They completely stifled us and shut us out in the middle and out wide, like we did at Leigh last week and as soon as they found a chink in our defence they were right on to it, I don't think our defence was too bad either, they just had that bit of class, plenty things to work on for us though.

17 hours ago, Ant said:

Tough to watch as a Giants fan, we're much better than that showing - Tui at fullback is appalling coaching though, was last season, is again. 

Saints, class though, and ruthless, they'll be pushing top 2 again of course. 

As for us, tui in the halves, Conner at fullback and we look far, far better in all ways.

Oh well. 

I think it would be a bit harsh to drop either Clune or Russ for Tui in the halves?

18 hours ago, Ullman said:

It does.

I've noticed it with some TV games before. You watch them when you get back from the game and the atmosphere bears no relation to what it was like in the ground. 

There was a decent atmosphere in the ground from both sides.

On another note, I've noticed on both Sky and BBC this season that the commentators really struggle to be heard above the crowd, again, is this something the sound technicians need to fix?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DG70 said:

Bit of a reality check for Huddersfield tbh, until they do something about the standard of coaching they won't get to where they aspire to be IMHO.

Reality check?

I don't think anyone has bigged Huddersfield up or suggested they're going to do good things this year, why would they need a reality check?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meast said:

https://www.superleague.co.uk/match-centre/report/4394

Huddersfield 75%

St Helens 99% 

completion rates?

Pretty impressive is that if true.

I can’t see how it can be; I can think of the Welsby 1 on 1 steal and the Lomax to Dodd pass (incorrectly) being called forwards as incomplete sets for Saints - just in the first half, which would bring down the completion rate. Unless there’s some ruling about why they wouldn’t count?

That being said, it was a game with a really high completion overall and both teams should be credited for it.

Edited by Magic Superbeetle

4 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Lots to pleased with last night. Dodd is looking a lot sharper this year. I noticed Wellens' comments about allowing him more freedom with his kicking game (suggesting Dodd's predictable kicks last year were playing to the tactics given to him). Early days, but Clark looks a step up on the 2023 version of Roby and Whitley has made a great start too.

I worry about our backline depth. Hurrell is done (IMO) so the inevitable loss of Percival at some point really weakens us as we lose so much pace. Who are young centres and backs coming through? (So way out of the loop on the Academy scene). 

Pack looks immense. Clark has been superb so far. Whitley too. Wingfield back is like a new signing and Delaney is getting better and better. I suspect Stephens may play a few this season. Paasi to come back as well at some point? 

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

I worry about our backline depth. Hurrell is done (IMO) so the inevitable loss of Percival at some point really weakens us as we lose so much pace. Who are young centres and backs coming through? (So way out of the loop on the Academy scene). 

Pack looks immense. Clark has been superb so far. Whitley too. Wingfield back is like a new signing and Delaney is getting better and better. I suspect Stephens may play a few this season. Paasi to come back as well at some point? 

Dayon Sambou (scored the long range try from the scrum against Salford in the friendly) and Jonny Vaughan (England u18s captain) are both centres tipped to go far (part of the reason we only gave Blake 1 year is to see how far they both develop as it’s possible one of them could be seen as first choice by next season). Owen Dagnall is a winger to keep an eye out for, though is a year behind Sambou and Vaughan and is a second year academy currently. Also wouldnt be surprised to see one of Roberts, Robertson or Whitby played on the wing, Eastmond style for a period, even though they’re primarily spine players. There is also the enigma that is Jon Bennison who’s still only 21, and I thought was seriously impressive against Huddersfield … but still seems written off as a long term prospect.

Paasi was due back round 15 last I heard, and Wellens gave an interview recently to say he was on track, but wasn’t more specific than “the middle of the season”.

• Thanks 1

Thanks MS. Looking forward to seeing Sambou and Vaughan blooded this year then. 

Bennison is a good solid young player. Think he lacks the pace and size to be a really good player but he’s the type of player who every side and squad needs. 

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think Hurrell is fine as a back up but agree that he wouldn't be first choice anymore. For centres, we have Percival, Blake, Hurrell, Davies and Vaughan (who seems highly rated) and for wingers we have Makinson, Bennison and Ritson (and Blake can play there).

My main worry is we get an injury to Lomax or Dodd as we don't have a back up that wouldn't involve moving Welsby.

15 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I think Hurrell is fine as a back up but agree that he wouldn't be first choice anymore. For centres, we have Percival, Blake, Hurrell, Davies and Vaughan (who seems highly rated) and for wingers we have Makinson, Bennison and Ritson (and Blake can play there).

My main worry is we get an injury to Lomax or Dodd as we don't have a back up that wouldn't involve moving Welsby.

Are you forgetting Mbye? He would most likely come in for Dodd or Lomax for a long term injuries. Will Roberts, Robertson or Whitby would come in short term (probably the former as he’s a year ahead of the other two) depending on how much exposure they’re ready for.

3 hours ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Are you forgetting Mbye? He would most likely come in for Dodd or Lomax for a long term injuries. Will Roberts, Robertson or Whitby would come in short term (probably the former as he’s a year ahead of the other two) depending on how much exposure they’re ready for.

I'd be a little worried if Mbye was used as a half back in the long term, whilst not ideal, I'd prefer to move Welsby and shift Bennison to full back. From what I've heard, the club is supposed to be quite excited about Robertson. Hopefully we don't have that worry this year anyway!

5 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Whitley has also played centre a fair bit. 

21 hours ago, meast said:

I think it would be a bit harsh to drop either Clune or Russ for Tui in the halves?

I think they are both organising halves, and that's why we lack Edge in the red zone 

Tui at 6

Connor at 1

Makes a massive difference to our attack.

As for people saying the Giants are poor, on that showing they won't be contenders, but they are WAY better than that showing, and Saints were flawless (despite the lack of red card) - not many teams would have a different outcome

We've got a ridiculously tough opening month, but won away at Leigh in week one, someone none of the pundits thought we'd manage 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ant said:

I think they are both organising halves, and that's why we lack Edge in the red zone 

Tui at 6

Connor at 1

Makes a massive difference to our attack.

As for people saying the Giants are poor, on that showing they won't be contenders, but they are WAY better than that showing, and Saints were flawless (despite the lack of red card) - not many teams would have a different outcome

We've got a ridiculously tough opening month, but won away at Leigh in week one, someone none of the pundits thought we'd manage 

Hills tackle on Knowles was bad but I don’t think it was worth a red card. 

On 25/02/2024 at 17:24, GeordieSaint said:

Hurrell was ok first game, Davies is the other centre, Welsby could play centre with Benno at FB