Sat 24th Feb: WCC: Wigan Warriors v Penrith Panthers KO 8pm (Sky/BBC/SuperLeague+)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 1 to 6 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 7 to 12 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/24 at 20:30

I need to get this off my chest!

I was incredibly disappointed with James Graham tonight.  Immediately after the final whistle it cut to the Foxtel studio where the presenter Braith Anasta’s first words were something like ‘Penrith lost because of the referee’.

Jammer should have replied ‘Hold on!  Tonight you Aussies had your so called greatest team that has ever graced the turf with the so called greatest player on the planet playing in the most competitive competition and had overwhelming field position.  Yet, you lot failed to beat a team you consider inferior and playing in a second rate competition.  You should be effing embarrassed’.

But, Jammer knows which side his bread is buttered.

P.S. It will be great. It to hear ‘World Champions Penrith’ in commentary this season 😄😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Not sure you’ve got that strip the ball rule correct 

Wardle didn’t‘definitely’ get to the line either

I may be wrong but I could’ve sworn I remember a lot of NRL players getting in trouble in the WC for attempting to drop off and strip.

There’s a split second in the footage we’re it looks like the end of the ball may scrape the line, I assume Moore saw that and had to award it.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I think it would be better if we followed Union with the referee going to the video referee and asking if there is any reason why a try shouldn't be awarded?

That's a reasonable system, tbh. Also, IIRC the rule without video refs which I was told to employ when I was reffing was always benefit of the doubt to attacking side. If there's doubt, and you can't be sure either way, award the try. I'm fairly sure that in the very early years of video reffing, this was also the case, because I remember screaming at the TV when it became apparent that the video refs seemed in fact to be looking for reasons to disallow tries when it wasn't entirely clear (and sometimes when it was), rather than allowing benefit of the doubt as they should.

If we're not willing to go that way, then we can go "balance of probability", but I do think there's no point making the ref indicate whether he's for or against a try before it goes to the screen, because that by itself puts quite a lot of pressure on the video ref to look for ways of backing up his colleague, rather than contradicting him publicly in front of 10,000 people!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

I may be wrong but I could’ve sworn I remember a lot of NRL players getting in trouble in the WC for attempting to drop off and strip.

There’s a split second in the footage we’re it looks like the end of the ball may scrape the line, I assume Moore saw that and had to award it.

I actually understand Moore awarding it on the field, but the promoting with the grounded right arm is obvious on replay.

That is a failure on the part of the video ref.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andyscoot said:

Enjoy the match at the ground. Haven't watched it back but I'm under no illusions that the try/no try was dodgy. They either both go up as a try or both as a no try.

That's sport, and if it ruffles some Aussie feathers at the same time I'm all for it.

I thought Penrith would blow Wigan away with how much territory they had. Odd decision to basically never test Wigan's line with a kick on the 5th too. Felt like they had very little ideas, whereas Wigan converted what little field position they had.

Disagree,

The ref was blindsided on the wardle one, he came around and the ball was on the line, went up as a try, video ref didn't even consider double movement however did the penrith player pull his arm in or did Wardle? 

The last no try, at the end of the play French hand was under the ball and he was held up, IMO this was the right call.

For everyone saying its a fix, bevan French try no one even though he was offside, the ref went to the video ref and it was literally one foot, fantastic call by both the ref and video ref to disallow.

The strip, didn't they all meet before the game to agree on what rules to play to so who knows what was agreed 

• Like 1

Anyone remember the Ryan Hall no try in Australia for England about 10 years ago, if the try by their video ref was given then aus would have been out of the 4 nations and would have hosted a final without Australia in so what goes round comes round I suppose

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I actually understand Moore awarding it on the field, but the promoting with the grounded right arm is obvious on replay.

That is a failure on the part of the video ref.

Yes I agree, it was likely a double movement. I’ve seen those awarded before though but combined with the question of if the ball even reached the line I understand why people are questioning it.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1

In a tight game where a ref's decision effectively decides the outcome there will be controversy.

Had Penrith converted its territorial advantage into points it would have won in a canter. Ivan Cleary cannot control the conditions, the refereeing etc but his team can execute better than that. His focus will be on what his team could have done better. That's why he is a successful coach. 

• Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

The fact it is generating discussion with all the braindead Australian social media following doing their predictable 'refs are ruining the game' whinge, directly after their 'This will be a cricket score' ###### is a massive plus. Yes, there were a couple of dubious calls but whatever happens with decisions that would have been a close, hard game. It was a pleasure to watch and well done Wigan for creating the event they did, the crowd for making the atmosphere and both teams for ripping in. Great night for RL. 

They should have given that last try to go to extra time. More drama and would have reduced the whinging somewhat but then again they are hard wired to whinge.

• Like 3

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

11 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

The fact it is generating discussion with all the braindead Australian social media following doing their predictable 'refs are ruining the game' whinge, directly after their 'This will be a cricket score' ###### is a massive plus. Yes, there were a couple of dubious calls but whatever happens with decisions that would have been a close, hard game. It was a pleasure to watch and well done Wigan for creating the event they did, the crowd for making the atmosphere and both teams for ripping in. Great night for RL. 

They should have given that last try to go to extra time. More drama and would have reduced the whinging somewhat but then again they are hard wired to whinge.

Watching live, I felt there was a momentary openness in the video ref towards giving it, but then he righted himself and gave himself the out of ref's call, and the fact that Nathan would have had to miss the kick to take it to Extra Time.

It was the right call to knock it back, but that doesn't make it all that much easier to stomach what went on beforehand.

Edited by StandOffHalf

2 minutes ago, Moe syszlak said:

Neither were tries. But one got sent up as one and the other didn't. We all know the on field decision NEVER gets turned over, so what is the point moaning about it?

The difference is the double movement that Moore didn't see. The video ref should have picked that up. 

19 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Watching live, I felt there was a momentary openness in the video ref towards giving it, but then he righted himself and gave himself the out of ref's call, and the fact that Nathan would have had to miss the kick to take it to Extra Time.

It was the right call to knock it back, but that doesn't make it all that much easier to stomach what went on beforehand.

Easier to stomach. Come off it, we have to listen to Australians constantly belittling anyone and everything that isnt NRL. If Penrith were so superior they wouldnt need a couple of marginal calls. Wigan got the rub of the green but deserved the win. Let's not forget things like the high shot on Fields and French's marginal disallowed try. Try focusing on the quality of the product not trying to appease whinging Australians.

• Like 3

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

31 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Easier to stomach. Come off it, we have to listen to Australians constantly belittling anyone and everything that isnt NRL. If Penrith were so superior they wouldnt need a couple of marginal calls. Wigan got the rub of the green but deserved the win. Let's not forget things like the high shot on Fields and French's marginal disallowed try. Try focusing on the quality of the product not trying to appease whinging Australians.

I love both comps. I felt sick in the pit of my stomach as that game went into the last 5-10 minutes. I want the players to decide the winner. For me, this isn't about NRL-SL divide or condescention. I think Field and French showed they are quality players tonight. I loved the marginally offside French 'try'; it would have been a sensational highlight, had he not gone off in chase a fraction early.

I loved the event, but the decisions are regrettable in the extreme. The Wardle one is a shocker; it's not marginal.

Edited by StandOffHalf

It might sound harsh but F@;k em, Penrith had chances to score all night but never took them, that’s sport, well done Wigan and the English supporters who are twining the most seem to be Saints fans😂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I hope Panthers fans are taking it real hard 😂 

Well I am a Penrith fan and really enjoyed the match. We did not take our chances and Wigan were stoic in defence and deserved their win in the end. My opinion on the 2 controversial try decisions is that both were no-tries. No complaints from me on the refereeing - it's a tough job!

As for disappointment, Wigan caused me more back in 1959 when I was a Hull FC fan and we were hammered at Wembley. We had a champion team in the 50's with the best pack in our history but Wigan were again deserved winners.

Best of luck for both teams in their competitions in 2024. For the record I think Wigan will be champions and Penrith will not.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, George Watt said:

Well I am a Penrith fan and really enjoyed the match. We did not take our chances and Wigan were stoic in defence and deserved their win in the end. My opinion on the 2 controversial try decisions is that both were no-tries. No complaints from me on the refereeing - it's a tough job!

As for disappointment, Wigan caused me more back in 1959 when I was a Hull FC fan and we were hammered at Wembley. We had a champion team in the 50's with the best pack in our history but Wigan were again deserved winners.

Best of luck for both teams in their competitions in 2024. For the record I think Wigan will be champions and Penrith will not.

You don’t seem like the normal bogan Penrith fan, which is probably why you’ve managed to appreciate the game. I’m glad you enjoyed the game, but I’m not gonna wish the Panthers good luck for the year ahead 😉 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

So many people on social media saying the Martin strip was legal. In the NRL it is, in international rules it is not.

In international rules once there is 2 players in a tackle the ball can’t be stripped even if a player drops off.

Quite funny to see how angry some NRL Fans boys are, they can’t fathom the SL is a quality competition so they blame it on every thing else other than the actual game.

The Wardle try was controversial but he definitely got to the line, whether it was a double movement or not is the question. When you slow it down to individual frames it looks like he promotes the ball but from the refs POV all of that happened in a millisecond so you can’t really argue his decision. 

Apparently there was an agreement prior to the game to play under international laws but inexplicably use the NRL ball strip law too.

• Like 1

Great event to be at, enjoyed it.

No question that Wigan were hanging in and got the benefit of the calls (Wardle try wasn’t great but the ball steal one was a real shocker) but they were resilient and defended brilliantly well.

But Penrith had the benefit of some marginal calls last year (Hopoate disallowed forward pass try being one) when the game was played with their ref under their rules. So suck it up - great NRL sides have come to the UK and taken the ref out of the game, Penrith couldn’t.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 2

What a fabulous game, regardless of the refereeing decisions, a great advert for rugby league and I’ve had loads of texts from people who aren’t league fans saying they watched and how much they enjoyed it. It was certainly a better spectacle than the Union games earlier in the day. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

regardless of the refereeing decisions

Just picking this one out as it's been repeated everywhere: what's better about refereeing calls that materially alter the score (no try/try send ups) versus ones that don't (yellow/red cards for head contact)?

Is it just that some old blokes grew up knowing that try calls could be wrong? Whereas the latter is new?

Either way, it's good to see that some folks desire to walk away from the gone game lasted about 24 hours.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Couldn’t really tell at the ground that the Wardle decision was a shocker but watching it back it doesn’t look great. On the flip side, the French no try is the first time in donkeys years I’ve seen an offside call given on one as marginal as that. They just don’t give offside for that in any superleague game and benefit of the doubt goes with the attacker. That felt like then giving Penrith one back. 

Ultimately though I just don’t care! Ha. I was underwhelmed with Penrith tbh. They came with the most conservative game plan I’ve seen at the DW in its existence and they got burned. It feels like their style of play gives the English sides a sniff because they didn’t challenge Wigan in any other way than trying to pin them in their end. They looked like a high class Ian Watson side. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

'refs are ruining the game'

It is good to know that refs aren't ruining the game.

Because they are not.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)