Sat 9th-Sun 10th Mar: Challenge Cup - Fifth Round Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Challenge Cup - Fifth Round games here.

Please stick to discussing the match in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

SATURDAY 9th MARCH
Swinton Lions v Sheffield Eagles KO 12:30 (BBC iPlayer)
Widnes Vikings v Batley Bulldogs KO 18:00

SUNDAY 10th MARCH
Featherstone Rovers v Wakefield Trinity KO 15:00 (Sportsman)
Halifax Panthers v York Acorn KO 15:00

Swinton Lions v Sheffield Eagles             - Sheffield by 8
Widnes Vikings v Batley Bulldogs            - Widnes by 2
Featherstone Rovers v Wakefield Trinity - Wakefield by 14
Halifax Panthers v York Acorn                  - Halifax by 28

Hopefully still a good crowd at POR despite the restrictions.

News | Featherstone Rovers Official Website

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

42 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Sheffield by 22
Struggling to call the Widnes game so will go for Widnes by 4
Wakefield by 10
Fax by 70

Swinton are a pretty handy outfit imo. Bang in the game with 5 minutes left at Odsal and 3 big calls went against them (2 disallowed Roby tries and a blatant ball strip on their own line that was missed and eventually led to a crucial try). Think they'll give Sheffield plenty to think about.

Agree re Widnes/Batley, tough to call.

Fev have lost Reynolds, will be playing Bowes at half back and will be missing Minikin, Yei, Massey, and Tanner (amongst others), and Paul Turner hasn't arrived yet. Can only name 20 players and that includes a triallist and an 18-year-old DR prop from Hull KR. Looking at the respective squads we'll be doing very well if we're remotely competitive on Sunday, but I still think we'll get better as the season progresses.

Fax by plenty.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Swinton are a pretty handy outfit imo. Bang in the game with 5 minutes left at Odsal and 3 big calls went against them (2 disallowed Roby tries and a blatant ball strip on their own line that was missed and eventually led to a crucial try). Think they'll give Sheffield plenty to think about.

Agree re Widnes/Batley, tough to call.

Fev have lost Reynolds, will be playing Bowes at half back and will be missing Minikin, Yei, Massey, and Tanner (amongst others), and Paul Turner hasn't arrived yet. Can only name 20 players and that includes a triallist and an 18-year-old DR prop from Hull KR. Looking at the respective squads we'll be doing very well if we're remotely competitive on Sunday, but I still think we'll get better as the season progresses.

Fax by plenty.

Probably more a reflection of where I see Sheffield rather than Swinton. I think the Odsal pitch will also lead to a lot of close games. Again for Fev if this were middle of the season on a dry track then Wakefield would win by plenty but with a bit of a boggy pitch and a loud home crowd I can see Fev competing without really worrying Wakey. Fax just lucky we got the easiest draw on paper as we were only able to name 20 players as well which is a big worry for this stage of the season as nobody will be back from injury soon.

2 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Acorn by 70.

What attractive odds are you offering on Halifax?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Yes

Sheffield looking the better side at present, in my view, and deserve to be ahead. Lions should have gone for penalty goal twice in first half but wasted the opportunity against Seffields strong defence.