RFL/RLPA suing Toronto Wolfpack

2 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Cue page after page of circular arguments.

There doesn't need to be - the money is owed regardless of the rights and wrongs of everything else that happened, and good on the RLPA for sticking with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

I’d change the title to suing the former owners of the Toronto Wolfpack ie David Argyle - not the current amateur set up.

Yes, but then it wouldn't make people angry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Damien said:

I'd be extremely surprised if Toronto was setup in a way where Argyle was liable. Most businesses aren't setup that way.

There was mention of him having provided a personal guarantee but I assume that this has either not been used or has with no results if it actually did exist. 

There were a few just a few of us including our Chairman Mr Parksider who said this Toronto farce would all end in tears especially with an owner who didn't/wouldn't pay his bills, along with the player's have a thought for all the small businesses/suppliers he also let down, I bet the man can't lie straight in bed.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

There were a few just a few of us including our Chairman Mr Parksider who said this Toronto farce would all end in tears especially with an owner who didn't/wouldn't pay his bills, along with the player's have a thought for all the small businesses/suppliers he also let down, I bet the man can't lie straight in bed.

I think Harry that if covid had not hit they would have pulled through.

Sad to see the players in this position though no-one wants to see that,we thank god have managed to claw back some money on the LED system that we shipped over by hiring it out over the last 3 seasons to a CFL club but are still over 150K down the swannie one just has to get on with it.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

3 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Sad to see the players in this position though no-one wants to see that,we thank god have managed to claw back some money on the LED system that we shipped over by hiring it out over the last 3 seasons to a CFL club but are still over 150K down the swannie one just has to get on with it.

Wasn't Argyl meant to be absolutely loaded? Surely in the Grand scheme of sports entertainment we were talking really rather modest numbers of millions in losses that covid caused? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I'd have thought that the RFL would have significantly improved their due diligence investigations after the ProBiz and Koukash situations.

Side issue: is it viable for you to carry insurance against defaulters? 

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I'd have thought that the RFL would have significantly improved their due diligence investigations after the ProBiz and Koukash situations.

Side issue: is it viable for you to carry insurance against defaulters? 

Maybe but it was our risk not the clubs as we expected all the matches on SKY so would have been a good investment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Wasn't Argyl meant to be absolutely loaded? Surely in the Grand scheme of sports entertainment we were talking really rather modest numbers of millions in losses that covid caused? 

In reality he would have spent second only to David Hughes estimated 22 million laid out.

14 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

In reality he would have spent second only to David Hughes estimated 22 million laid out.

But that was always the plan? And the warning signs were there well in advance of covid. Like not really buying a squad for SL, or arranging matches properly. 

43 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Maybe but it was our risk not the clubs as we expected all the matches on SKY so would have been a good investment.

In business you do what you consider to be right at the time, sometimes just on a gut feeling most you win but there are those inevitable losses.

What I hated most was those like Argyle who having already recieved goods/services withheld payment, and also like Argyle it was those who could afford to pay who stretched it out the furthest, big companies like British Nuclear Fuels (BNF), Astra Zeneca, British Aerospace and quite a number of the 'Big Pharma' companies were the worst. I once was told by Purchase Ledger at BNF that they were changing terms from 30 days following end of month delivery to 90 days end of month and it wasn't negotiable, big mistake on their part.

I manufactured some very critical components which by the nature of the product had to be manufactured to requirement on a "just in time" delivery. These were Elastomers (types of rubbers) which I held the configuration of the ingredients which had a very limited shelf life and had to be moulded soon after it was compounded, I put up the price 10 fold and was confronted about it to which I answered non negotiable it would have cost BNF £millions in downtime had they not received the components. They soon switched back to the original terms of business.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I'm sure at the time his business and wealth took a hig hit from covid lockdown didn't it?

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

I'm sure at the time his business and wealth took a hig hit from covid lockdown didn't it?

You really think he had all his eggs in one basket?

Sure he would have taken a hit through covid, but if he did not diversify all that wealth he was reported to have he would not have been very astute would he.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Marwan Koukash was meant to be a billionaire…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally