Televised games this forum and Sky

With all the games being on TV do not seem to be getting much discussion on the individual matches on this forum, this last weekend only generated 10 posts for the Giants v KR game and one of those is the OP, 10 posts for the Rhinos v Saints, 8 posts for Catalan v Cas, 21 posts for London v Wire, 40 posts for Hull v Leigh but I suspect most of those were not about the game itself but the sorry state Hull are in, then the one game which was a stand alone on any particular day which was back to the old format 140 posts for the Salford v Wigan game.

I don't know what the viewing figures are collectively for all the games perhaps someone  who looks up this kind of information could advise if there is a marked improvement in the viewing figures for 6 games as opposed to just the 2, and more importantly where Sky and our future funding is concerned, has the extra outlay Sky are most obviously spending generated more subscribers?

Edited by Harry Stottle

• Harry Stottle changed the title to Televised games this forum and Sky

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

With all the games being on TV do not seem to be getting much discussion on the individual matches on this forum, this last weekend only generated 10 posts for the Giants v KR game and one of those is the OP, 10 posts for the Rhinos v Saints, 8 posts for Catalan v Cas, 21 posts for London v Wire, 40 posts for Hull v Leigh but I suspect most of those were not about the game itself but the sorry state Hull are in, then the one game which was a stand alone on any particular day which was back to the old format 140 posts for the Salford v Wigan game.

Tbf, it was hard to comment when the forum was down.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Just now, Archie Gordon said:

Yes quite  but I noticed the same trend the previous weeks, but that does not alter the viewing figs Sky are receiving and more importantly extra subscribers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

And then several hours before it went down were deleted too as they weren't part of the back up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes quite  but I noticed the same trend the previous weeks, but that does not alter the viewing figs Sky are receiving and more importantly extra subscribers.

I personally question having matches on at the same time all its going to do is dilute the TV viewing figures pretty pointless,we need to simply copy the NRL model.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I personally question having matches on at the same time all its going to do is dilute the TV viewing figures pretty pointless,we need to simply copy the NRL model.

Can't disagree Paul, do you think that would generate more subscribers for Sky isn't that what this is all about moving into the new IMG era?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Can't disagree Paul, do you think that would generate more subscribers for Sky isn't that what this is all about moving into the new IMG era?

I do only makes sense,let's say for instance Huddersfield Giants v Salford Red Devils are up against Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors its doesn't take Einstein to work out the most popular match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

could we not have a different game on 6 different nights of the week?

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

It'll be interesting to see if we ever find out the accurate viewing figs for this current system. 

All we have to go off really are weekends like Magic Weekend historically. 

We have generally seen that the audience has been spread a little, bug total audience is higher than only 2 games, as you'd expect. 

That Magic saw c650k viewers across the 6 games (4 matches on Arena only, 2 on Arena and Main). We know that broadly we average c150k per match, so showing 4 extra games more than doubled the audience. Of course we don't have stats on unique viewers etc, but then we've never compared that, so there is no reason we should do that here. 

Obviously this year we have overlap, so figures won't be as high as 650k per week, but it'll be interesting to see what we are bringing in. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

could we not have a different game on 6 different nights of the week?

No.  It'd be a nightmare to schedule and ensure each club's games were a minimum five days apart.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

No.  It'd be a nightmare to schedule and ensure each club's games were a minimum five days apart.

in my day we played RL on a sat morn - cricket in afternoon - football on a Sunday spent all afternoon int pub  and then went home to fettle the MRS 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't know what the viewing figures are collectively for all the games perhaps someone  who looks up this kind of information could advise if there is a marked improvement in the viewing figures for 6 games as opposed to just the 2, and more importantly where Sky and our future funding is concerned, has the extra outlay Sky are most obviously spending generated more subscribers?

As others have pointed out, the forum was offline from late afternoon on Friday 15th March until the morning of Monday 18th March, which killed most of the match threads that weekend stone dead. Posts may have been made in them since we came back online, but you can't make any reliable judgements on their popularity based on that, as there was no option to discuss the games while they were taking place, which most people prefer to do.

Another factor this season is I'm not posting the match threads up as early as I used to, to avoid them becoming off-topic slanging matches before the actual games have even kicked off!

Plus, I am posting warnings in every thread about avoiding accusing officials of cheating, corruption etc, which has probably reduced the number of posts from those who can't think of anything else to say when their team is losing, but is making my life as a moderator a lot easier.

So, match threads on here this year may have fewer posts overall, but hopefully the discussions within them are of a slightly higher quality...

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I think the forum being down over the weekend feeds into those inordinately low comment numbers, Harry.

However, I do know that three games on a Friday with live updates means that I have to flick between games as the delayed viewing option has been spoiled. Commenting simultaneously across three games isn't really doable, so I tend to only post a comment or two in each thread - if anything at all.

Edited by StandOffHalf

On the subject of TV viewing figures, I think you get more 'IMG points' for getting over 150K average viewers for your TV fixtures. With all matches on TV and several at the same time, I would guess viewers are spread more widely this year.

Just now, Chris22 said:

On the subject of TV viewing figures, I think you get more 'IMG points' for getting over 150K average viewers for your TV fixtures. With all matches on TV and several at the same time, I would guess viewers are spread more widely this year.

I think that metric is pretty much worthless this year tbh. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Damien said:

This is because the forum was down and a full days posts were deleted

It was the same the previous weeks, very little comment on most of the games, but what about the Sky audiences any idea?

Edited by Harry Stottle

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Got rid of Sky Sports last week within my months trial and just paying monthly for the NRL app....I will miss the easter derbies for Super League but will have a cunning plan to get another months trial come middle September.

• Like 1

I will be naughty and suggest that the lack of posts on the game threads are because of the clampdown on referee bashing.

Proof to me if it were needed that most people don't really watch the game or have much interest in it.

All for the better for me as someone who can't abide bitching about ref's every other post!

• Like 4