Fri 22nd Mar-Sun 24th Mar: The Betfred Challenge Cup Sixth Round Match Thread

Just now, Futtocks said:

Judging by many comments, TRL member would rather have been watching a roped-off field at Millom or Thatto Heath. But if the BBC had shown that, they'd have whinged about something else and/or said it was a disgrace that the BBC weren't showcasing two of the biggest clubs in the game.

Let's just show some pride in our game eh rather than be grateful for scraps. The BBC has done some great stuff over the last decade for RL but way it was presented tonight was utterly depressing. And the game was rubbish too.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I guess someone on the forum knows the answers to these questions.

1. How many rounds of the Cup are the BBC showing this season compared with previous seasons?

2. How many of the games themselves  are they showing this season compared with previous seasons?

3. How many SuperLeague games are the BBC showing this season compared with previous seasons.

4. Hands up who knows how the BBC terrestrial TV  Red Button works?

Just now, DoubleD said:

Why would he not take the rest of his body with him?

RyanAir have a carry-on weight limit.

• Haha 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Still in March and that's Leeds season over. On a side note, God knows what some of the great Leeds half backs of the past would make of the performance of tonight's pairing.

It’s only over because they can’t be relegated 

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

42 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

"Didn't he do well there".

Sounds like they've dug up Bruce Forsyth to improve the commentary.

" Give us a twirl Sharon. Let's look at the old scoreboard,  Leeds 6 Saints 20. Good game good game."

Edited by HawkMan
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

1. How many rounds of the Cup are the BBC showing this season compared with previous seasons?

2. How many of the games themselves  are they showing this season compared with previous seasons?

3. How many SuperLeague games are the BBC showing this season compared with previous seasons.

1. Every single round, but one more round than previously is being streamed, rather than broadcast, which is the absolute end of the world for all the TRL members with steam-powered televisions.

2 & 3: https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/bbc 

4. Streaming gives better picture quality than the Red Button, unless you're still using dial-up internet.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That was a really painful experience watch. Awful tv quality, terrible presentation, commentary was painful - Sharon is a radio commentator and seems unable to adapt her style to tv.

So depressing and sad to see what’s become of the once prestigious competition 

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I'll give this a whirl:

1. All of them, as has been the case for a few years.

2. (I think) 11 games this year, compared to 12 in previous years.

3. 12 this year compared to none before.

4. Get remote, find buttons, press red one.

Edited by sam4731
  • Thanks 1

Awful picture, awful coverage showing the crowd etc when the ball was in play with minimal replays. Awful Commentary.

In terms of performance can we play Leeds every week !

• Like 1

go on then-  I will throw in a positive late in the thread- the game - production etc may have been  terrible - BUT- on a high note there was no Robbie Paul!

• Haha 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

20 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I'll give this a whirl:

1. All of them, as has been the case for a few years.

2. (I think) 11 games this year, compared to 12 in previous years.

3. 12 this year compared to none before.

4. Get remote, find buttons, press red one.

Thanks. Point four, I was meaning, bandwidth, compression, resolution etc.

3 minutes ago, Indigogo said:

Was Brown saying Wanga Blake all night? Is that how you pronounce it?

didnt even know Blake was playing?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Thanks. Point four, I was meaning, bandwidth, compression, resolution etc.

Sorry I was being a bit facetious. I don't even know what any of those terms even mean.

48 minutes ago, Worzel said:

The East Stand’s appreciation of Sneyd coming through loud and clear on Radio Humberside…

“dirty black and white b******!”

🤣🤣🤣

Is that what the commentators meant when they said they didn't know the words?

9 minutes ago, Arizonared said:

Is that what the commentators meant when they said they didn't know the words?

Yeah that was quite funny of ‘em. 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

so 2 defeats in 2 weeks at home to a -lets face it - not great saints team - taxi for RS?

It has to be disappointing for Leeds to lose against Saints at home again. Last week in particular Saints were there for the taking and Leeds looked well on top for much of the first half. They have spent big and got the players but still look like something is missing. Smith still has a lot to prove and has now run out of excuses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UBranger said:

Wish they'd shown Wigan v Sheffield

I am a Wigan fan but if there was only 1 game available to watch it would be Batley v Cas on a Saturday afternoon on BBC1. We see games like Leeds v Saints every week. The casual RL viewer probably doesn't know about Batley, their good old fashioned ground and that they are a decent side capable of sending Cas out. Bring back Grandstand.

• Like 1