What's the best game you've been to?

37 minutes ago, Andy JG said:

My memory is that we were deep in our own half and Phil Johnson launched either a penalty to touch or a touchfinder,  wind assisted, which set up the position for the said scrum from which we scored.

I used to own both the Oldham and Warrington games on VHS, but have become lost in house moves etc...

In todays terms, it would have been a 20/10 😂😂

On 27/03/2024 at 08:08, Dunbar said:

1985 Challenge Cup final.

The winner. Had it all plus the remarkable Kenny v Sterling sub-plot. A game that caught the imagination and left a nation spellbound.

A close second for me was the 1985 Cup semi-final replay between Hull and Cas at Headingley. They knocked hell out of each other for 20 minutes and then produced a sublime contest.

Then there was the Australia-NZ World Cup semi-final in 1995 at Huddersfield that went to extra-time. The greatest goalkicker of them all, Matthew Ridge, just missed with a touchline conversion  and a drop-goal attempt that would have set up an England-NZ decider.

• Like 2

On 30/03/2024 at 11:30, Snowys Backside said:

A 13 year old catching the 593 and 19 Buses to Warrington with a group of other kids. 

That wouldn’t happen today for sure but yes, a fantastic game and the Railway end in the second half went absolutely mad. That second try came from a scrum against the head too !

🤥 🤥 🤥 

A blast from the past as Terry Ramshaw scores for Featherstone in a victory over the Australians on a Wednesday afternoon in front of a near full house. Great games when clubs got a fixture against a touring side.

img_1_1711671978032.jpg

• Like 4

Best SL Game

St Helens v Catalans Dragons. Catalans scored on the hooter to equalise and Scott Deureau slotted the kick to win

Best North Wales Crusaders game

Any of last seasons play off run

Best Wheelchair game

2017 RLWC Wheelchair final between England and France

Best Challenge Cup

Warrington vs Hull 2016. I sang 'Abide with Me' with the Fans choir, on th epitch before kick off

Best game I played in

Wales Masters RL vs Ireland vs England in Bethesda 2022. My first cap for Wales!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

A blast from the past as Terry Ramshaw scores for Featherstone in a victory over the Australians on a Wednesday afternoon in front of a near full house. Great games when clubs got a fixture against a touring side.

img_1_1711671978032.jpg

Looks knackered going up that hill ! 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To ignore the whole point of the post I was listening to Warrington-Catalans CC final on the island of Thasos relying on some dusty knackered Greek electrons grinding through the hotel Wifi. I've seen enough RL to know that a Cats knock on with 10?mins to go was when an increasingly desperate team was at last overwhelmed by the stronger team.

It was warm enough that day but that's not why I was sweating. Epic!

• Like 1

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

11 hours ago, bratman said:

2013 RLWC semi final, brilliant game even though we lost.

Yes, would've been one of my all-time favourites if the clock had stopped a minute or so earlier...

• Like 3

Salford million pound game Golden time drop goal win.

Most exciting and wonderful game i have ever watched.

Cant believe how little this has been mentioned as for me it beats every other suggestion on here by a country mile

• Like 2

New Zealand v Tonga in the 95 world cup

Carlisle beating Castleford in the Regal Trophy 19-18 in 1995

Saints beating Wigan 41-6 on 27th December 92

• Like 1

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

6 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Cant believe how little this has been mentioned as for me it beats every other suggestion on here by a country mile

Maybe nobody else went….its games you've been to. I cant believe I am the only one who has listed Fox’s Dads army victory over Aussies at Bradford in 1978 but it was 46 years ago so I expect at least half the crowd have now passed on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

That was actually the worst game ever! Wrong thread 😉

Edited by bratman
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Maybe nobody else went….its games you've been to. I cant believe I am the only one who has listed Fox’s Dads army victory over Aussies at Bradford in 1978 but it was 46 years ago so I expect at least half the crowd have now passed on.

A great win for GB, but the third test at a packed Headingley was a damp squib. 

16 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Currently on Sky catch up if you want to watch or record it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2024 at 23:50, nec said:

New Zealand v Tonga in the 95 world cup

Carlisle beating Castleford in the Regal Trophy 19-18 in 1995

Saints beating Wigan 41-6 on 27th December 92

First derby game I ever saw. Great atmosphere on the day.