Fri 29th March : SL : St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 3pm Sky Sports Action/Main Event

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

2 minutes ago, jacksy said:

The ptb in SL is still a joke.

I think it's better in general this year (far fewer step overs) and nice to see the ref's trying to keep it that way.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Time to breath for the first time in 40 minutes.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Really enjoying the game, defenses well on top. Any coach wanting to see how to structure a defense would do a lot worse than study this game. A few iffy decisions adding to the excitment, hopefully its a bit of magic that seperates the teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I think it's better in general this year (far fewer step overs) and nice to see the ref's trying to keep it that way.

It's still not good enough imo.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Just now, jacksy said:

It's still not good enough imo.

Agree it isn't where it should be but I am happy to see some improvement. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Saints’ game is based on the grind. Get the territory and possession and tries will follow. Against 8 teams, with standard SL defence, that works. But against the other 3 teams with good defence, you need more than that. You need actual attacking plays. And Saints simply do not have that. 

Last year was a year too far for one legend in Roby. This year, imo, is a year too far for another in Lomax. We need someone with more creativity, speed and organisation to allow us to break down good defences. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Score reflects the play  in my view. Wigan discipline still an issue - conceding far too many penalties.

Memo to self: check understanding of the criteria for awarding six again.  Also I need to better understand what counts as a tip tackle and what doesn't. 

An entertaining 2-0.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

They bring in new rules this season..its not needed just ptb with the foot.

The ptb never needed to change in the first place..tinkering for tinkering sake. 

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 minute ago, jacksy said:

They bring in new rules this season..its not needed just ptb with the foot.

The ptb never needed to change in the first place..tinkering for tinkering sake. 

The laws just needed implementing, I agree.

But more players are playing the ball with their foot this year and the others are at least going through the proper play the ball action.

In previous seasons, nearly every play the ball was a step over and I think that has improved a fair bit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Score reflects the play  in my view. Wigan discipline still an issue - conceding far too many penalties.

Memo to self: check understanding of the criteria for awarding six again.  Also I need to better understand what counts as a tip tackle and what doesn't. 

I pointed out in a game involving Wigan a couple of weeks back that the six agains seemed to be getting dished out unevenly.

You replied that it was for breaking the rules and one team (not Wigan) were doing it more, hence the unevenness.

So it seems you understand the six again rule when Wigan benefit, but it causes you confusion when they don't.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Time to breath for the first time in 40 minutes.

The Missus suffering from flatulence mate?

• Haha 2
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Must say the ptb area has been messy in this half and quite a lot of slowing down going on 

I agree. We are guilty of it - particularly Knowles and Matautia. O’Neill, however, is literally taking the p*** with it…

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I pointed out in a game involving Wigan a couple of weeks back that the six agains seemed to be getting dished out unevenly.

You replied that it was for breaking the rules and one team (not Wigan) were doing it more, hence the unevenness.

So it seems you understand the six again rule when Wigan benefit, but it causes you confusion when they don't.

Actually, I don't understand it at all! 😭

And as I said, Wigan discipline still an issue - conceding far too many penalties.

Edited by JohnM

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

The laws just needed implementing, I agree.

But more players are playing the ball with their foot this year and the others are at least going through the proper play the ball action.

In previous seasons, nearly every play the ball was a step over and I think that has improved a fair bit.

For me, either the act of ptb matters for some reason and they should be doing it properly, or it doesn't matter at all and we let them step over. Being happy that they are pretending to ptb seems a bit odd. As context, I'm an occasional spectator, but when I played tag regularly we'd get called for not playing the ball cleanly, even (to my annoyance) on a grass-free quagmire. If a load of beginners can manage it, why don't the pros.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N2022 said:

For me, either the act of ptb matters for some reason and they should be doing it properly, or it doesn't matter at all and we let them step over. Being happy that they are pretending to ptb seems a bit odd. As context, I'm an occasional spectator, but when I played tag regularly we'd get called for not playing the ball cleanly, even (to my annoyance) on a grass-free quagmire. If a load of beginners can manage it, why don't the pros.

You are preaching to the converted, I have probably bored people to death on here with my frustrations about the play the ball.

All I am saying is that it is better this year and I am pleased with that.

• Like 1