Fri 29th March : SL : St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 3pm Sky Sports Action/Main Event

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

17 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Well done to Saints. They did enough to take advantage of the extra men advantages. Wigan have plenty to take away and learn from that. We lost the cup semi when down to 12 men and threw away a winning position here. One thing I suspect we will shelve is the idea of Fench teeing up a running chance for Smith from an attacking scrum. I am not sure which genius thought up that move. 

We need to be really on it against Leigh where again the crowd will go wild at the slightest touch. That’s the perfect next game for focusing the mind. 

It was a great game but Leigh too many players out to trouble Wigan. 

It will be another sell out though and another hard tough derby for the viewers to enjoy 👍

I had no complaints with the wigan try it looked fine to me. If the game had finished 13 Vs 13 i don’t think Saints would have scored a try because we looked bloody clueless near the wigan line. 

3 hours ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Byrne was very similar to the challenge Percival himself was carded for against Salford. So I expect a similar 2 match ban. 

Byrne doesn’t have Watts’ track record (who does?) so he shouldn’t get the same length of ban as Watts

7 hours ago, Roy Haggerty said:

I didn't have an issue with the try as I knew I'd be calling it a try if the shirts had been swapped. My main beef was that the quality of the picture on the slo-mo was really bad. I don't know if I'm mis-remembering, but I thought we used to have much clearer frame-by-frame pictures than that blurry mess. But that may be just age withering my memory.

Frame by frame: it's a question mainly (but not entirely )of frame rate. The more frames per second, the shorter time for each frame to be captured so the less the motion is blurred.  

High frame rates mean high data rates. 60fps at 4k needs the entire data path to be capable of ...well..(a x b x c) squared.. As  lot...and that costs a lot..

Edited by JohnM

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Frame by frame: it's a question mainly (but not entirely )of frame rate. The more frames per second, the shorter time for each frame to be captured so the less the motion is blurred.  

HD cameras for the main shots and lower fps equipment for angles that are only occasionally used, I assume.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

One thing that game did show/confirm that even at his ripe old age when in the mood as he was yesterday Alex Walmersley is still the best front row in the competition.

On the cards, what Dupree did with the elbow is the most despicable action on a RL field it is like being hit with a ball pein hammer, there was a time when those teammates of the player receiving the elbow would have made sure the offender left the field and very quickly, I hope he gets many matches there should be no mitigating circumstances as an excuse the raising of the elbow is intent to cause damage, and Liam Byrne could also be looking at keeping a seat in the grandstand warm for a few weeks, if his action is compared to what Liam Watts got 4 games for it was far worse.

Dupree was a lucky boy that's for sure. He may have hit the chest first but the intent was clearly there. It seemed like it was a reaction to Lees' previous tackle on Thompson. I'm guessing that one is going to see him get the same punishment that Byrne will for the Percival tackle, as it was head on head contact with no attempt to bend the back or wrap the arm. That's not an excuse for Dupree, I think it pretty much confirms what he was intending to do. The elbow was clearly promoted recklessly. Secondary contact is no longer enough mitigation for tackles that impact the head so I'd assume it's not much mitigation for leading with the forearm/elbow either.

Not sure how the sanctions work these days though as all the focus on head contact seems to have been about the tackler rather than the ball carrier. I think this might be the first case of a ball carrier being penalised for head contact since the new rules came in?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Dupree was a lucky boy that's for sure. He may have hit the chest first but the intent was clearly there. It seemed like it was a reaction to Lees' previous tackle on Thompson. I'm guessing that one is going to see him get the same punishment that Byrne will for the Percival tackle, as it was head on head contact with no attempt to bend the back or wrap the arm. That's not an excuse for Dupree, I think it pretty much confirms what he was intending to do. The elbow was clearly promoted recklessly. Secondary contact is no longer enough mitigation for tackles that impact the head so I'd assume it's not much mitigation for leading with the forearm/elbow either.

Not sure how the sanctions work these days though as all the focus on head contact seems to have been about the tackler rather than the ball carrier. I think this might be the first case of a ball carrier being penalised for head contact since the new rules came in?

Not watched it back and happy to be corrected but I thought that Byrne hit Percivals head firmly and directly with his shoulder if there was head to head also involved I didn't notice that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not watched it back and happy to be corrected but I thought that Byrne hit Percivals head firmly and directly with his shoulder if there was head to head also involved I didn't notice that.

Byrne's was shoulder to head, but it doesn't matter whether it's shoulder or head contact this year unless there's mitigation, they are both the same offence. Byrne made contact with his shoulder because Percival dipped slightly (but not enough to mitigate) and he didn't bend his back going into contact. Lees made contact with his head when Thompson was fully upright and also didn't bend his back.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

HD cameras for the main shots and lower fps equipment for angles that are only occasionally used, I assume.

Though by no means an expert in this area and happy to improve my knowledge, another cost issue is "global' shutter where every pixel is exposed at one go ( = higher data rates) as against scanning or rolling shutters which read the sensor a line at a time(which is why some phone and consumer cams show a "wobbling jelly " effect.  another reason why OB video cameras are so expensive.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

How good is this? Great to see:

Happens at most Academy games, certainly the ones i go to always have one or more of the 1st team coaches present

4 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Happens at most Academy games, certainly the ones i go to always have one or more of the 1st team coaches present

I know, thats obvious. It's more two coaches showing mutual respect and chewing the fat 24 hours after a Good Friday Derby.

• Like 2

On 30/03/2024 at 13:02, Josef K said:

I had no complaints with the wigan try it looked fine to me. If the game had finished 13 Vs 13 i don’t think Saints would have scored a try because we looked bloody clueless near the wigan line. 

It was a bomb and catch though with a forward missing,maybe walmsley wouldnt have made the break but thats it.

Think we kept it tight to stop a field/French counter attack but once behind on the score board chanced our arm. We did similar against Leeds.

On 30/03/2024 at 10:20, Roy Haggerty said:

I didn't have an issue with the try as I knew I'd be calling it a try if the shirts had been swapped. My main beef was that the quality of the picture on the slo-mo was really bad. I don't know if I'm mis-remembering, but I thought we used to have much clearer frame-by-frame pictures than that blurry mess. But that may be just age withering my memory.

The screens and/or pictures on them seem to be getting worse, the one at London on Sunday was totally pointless as unless you were in the end block you couldn't see anything, it was more like a big telly than a big screen!

On 29/03/2024 at 15:34, The Blues Ox said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see the tackle before on Thompson end with a ban. No attempt to wrap arms and no attempt to move the head out of the way by the defender. 

Was so obvious at the time and I am surprised that the Video Ref did not pick up on this. As it were Saints got to complete the game with 13 players and Wigan were reduced to 12 men the very next tackle. Huge game changing incident that went totally missed and to make it worse Wigan lost Thompson a few minutes later when he was spotted by the cameras and it were decided he needed a HIA because of that clash.

• Like 1