Sat 6th-Sun 7th Apr: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Please stick to discussing the match in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

SATURDAY 6th APRIL
Toulouse Olympique v Swinton Lions KO 17:00 (UK time)

SUNDAY 7th APRIL
Barrow Raiders v York Knights KO 15:00
Dewsbury Rams v Widnes Vikings KO 15:00
Doncaster v Wakefield Trinity KO 15:00
Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Bulls KO 15:00
Halifax Panthers v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00
Whitehaven v Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to the Doncaster vs Trinity game. 

Expecting Doncaster will be wanting a good performance at home. 

I would imagine Trinity will take again over 1000 and up towards 1500 again. 

Certainly a boost for teams in the championship with Trinity travelling very well to every game as the excitement of a new era continues to grow. 

The championship games so far have been very entertaining against Bradford and Featherstone. 

Edited by Trojan Horse
  • Like 1

SATURDAY 6th APRIL
Toulouse Olympique v Swinton Lions Toulouse by 28

SUNDAY 7th APRIL
Barrow Raiders v York Knights Barrow by 6
Dewsbury Rams v Widnes Vikings Widnes by 10
Doncaster v Wakefield Trinity Wakefield by 22
Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Bulls Fev by 8
Halifax Panthers v Batley Bulldogs Fax by 6
Whitehaven v Sheffield Eagles Sheffield by 10

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

SATURDAY 6th APRIL

SUNDAY 7th APRIL

Agreed except that I'd take Halifax by 8.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

SATURDAY 6th APRIL

SUNDAY 7th APRIL

Agree with most of that. Here’s mine.

SATURDAY 6th APRIL
Toulouse Olympique v Swinton Lions - Toulouse by 22

SUNDAY 7th APRIL
Barrow Raiders v York Knights - Barrow by 4

Dewsbury Rams v Widnes Vikings - Widnes by 14

Doncaster v Wakefield Trinity KO - Trinity by 28

Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Bulls - Fev by 10

Halifax Panthers v Batley Bulldogs KO - Fax by 18

Whitehaven v Sheffield Eagles - Sheffield by 20

• Like 1

SATURDAY 6th APRIL

SUNDAY 7th APRIL

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

Please stick to discussing the match in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

SATURDAY 6th APRIL
Toulouse Olympique 46-12 Swinton Lions KO 17:00 (UK time)

SUNDAY 7th APRIL
Barrow Raiders 18-14 York Knights KO 15:00
Dewsbury Rams 16-24 Widnes Vikings KO 15:00
Doncaster 10-32 Wakefield Trinity KO 15:00
Featherstone Rovers 32-18 Bradford Bulls KO 15:00
Halifax Panthers 20-24 Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00
Whitehaven 19-18 Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00

Toulouse Olympique v Swinton Lions

Barrow Raiders v York Knights
Dewsbury Rams v Widnes Vikings
Doncaster v Wakefield Trinity
Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Bulls
Halifax Panthers v Batley Bulldogs
Whitehaven v Sheffield Eagles - Draw

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

SATURDAY 6th APRIL

SUNDAY 7th APRIL

Toulouse

Barrow

Widnes

Wakefield

Featherstone

Halifax 

Whitehaven 

The only teams that I'd be really surprised to see beaten this weekend are Wakefield and Toulouse, the other games all look harder to call to me.

Fev v Bradford is especially difficult to call as both teams are really struggling with injuries. Amongst others, Fev are missing Springer, Tanner, Massey, Yei, Day, Lacans (and maybe Bussey), and Bradford will be without Gaskell, Taufua, Blackmore, Lawrence, Scurr, and Johnson. Interesting to see who adapts best.

No real pressure on the Dons this weekend. Only a couple of players out and Leon Ruan still in on loan. I'm hoping for big games from Reece Lyne and Pauli Pauli against their former club. A good result for us would be no injuries and a respectable scoreline.

8 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

As York came within 6 points of Toulouse I’m surprised people are picking Barrow to turn them over, are they carrying injuries?

Possibly because Toulouse had a man sent off after 26mins when they were leading 14-0. They'd extended that lead to 20-0 when they had a 2nd sent off in the 64th min. York scored their 14pts in the last 8mins against 11 men....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think that Barrow game is the most intriguing game of the weekend. A lot of people had tipped York to turn Toulouse over but the reality is they got hammered which was quite a surprise and York do seem to lack a little bit of fight this season so far. On paper it probably should be a York win but in my opinion York continue to go down the route of expensive "name" signings dropping out of SL and its not really worked for them. With Dewsbury picking up points as well it looks like it might be tighter at the bottom than some of us first thought and I think Barrow could be in that mix so this is certainly a game you feel they will be targetting.

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think that Barrow game is the most intriguing game of the weekend. A lot of people had tipped York to turn Toulouse over but the reality is they got hammered which was quite a surprise and York do seem to lack a little bit of fight this season so far. On paper it probably should be a York win but in my opinion York continue to go down the route of expensive "name" signings dropping out of SL and its not really worked for them. With Dewsbury picking up points as well it looks like it might be tighter at the bottom than some of us first thought and I think Barrow could be in that mix so this is certainly a game you feel they will be targetting.

Myler is the only marquee 'name' we've signed this year, and he's out for 3 months with a dislocated elbow. Keinhorst and Dagger were from Super League but weren't expensive. My issue is with Ata Hingano. Pound for pound he is the worst signing the Knights have made since returning to the Championship in 2019, in my opinion. (Yes, even worse than Cuthbertson).

Injuries and bans from ill-discipline are biting us already, sort those out and we'll be fine. Replacing Kirmond, Clarkson and Pauil2 with SL academy projects/prospects is admirable, but doesn't help short term.

5 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Myler is the only marquee 'name' we've signed this year, and he's out for 3 months with a dislocated elbow. Keinhorst and Dagger were from Super League but weren't expensive. My issue is with Ata Hingano. Pound for pound he is the worst signing the Knights have made since returning to the Championship in 2019, in my opinion. (Yes, even worse than Cuthbertson).

Injuries and bans from ill-discipline are biting us already, sort those out and we'll be fine. Replacing Kirmond, Clarkson and Pauil2 with SL academy projects/prospects is admirable, but doesn't help short term.

....and Hendo's bewildering positional changes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rene_Artois said:

I'd agree with you Gav on Hingano. A liability. At least you've only lost him for a month though. Sutcliffe definitely came off worst there.

You are mixing him up with Williams Rene , Hingano thinks that because his current squeeze plays for the SL ladies team his position is safe.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I completely forgot Tom Lineham. Expensive or not we're paying him too much. A completely unnecessary signing. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

I completely forgot Tom Lineham. Expensive or not we're paying him too much. A completely unnecessary signing

Yes , upset one or two.

4 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

I can see Dewsbury pick pocketing Widnes should they not be 100% committed. 

None of the Widnes fans on here have picked Widnes to win this game, and I'm a bit surprised everyone else has.

Dewsbury beat Batley pretty comfortably, and Batley won at Widnes last month, so they seem perfectly capable of winning even if we are 100% committed.

Whitehaven beat Sheffield Eagles home and away last season, IIRC.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

None of the Widnes fans on here have picked Widnes to win this game, and I'm a bit surprised everyone else has.

Dewsbury beat Batley pretty comfortably, and Batley won at Widnes last month, so they seem perfectly capable of winning even if we are 100% committed.

Whitehaven beat Sheffield Eagles home and away last season, IIRC.

Hopefully it is showing that outside of Wakefield it is gearing up for a really good competition. You could argue that Fax played poorly against Dewsbury but still won pretty comfortably but then Fax got battered by Bradford who had been beaten by Widnes.

• Like 1