Retired Shirts for your Club?

I get it’s a thing in US sports when in practice they don’t associate positions with numbers and they go up to 99 so plenty available. I don’t think  it should be done in our game, players can change their number each year, and squad numbers are a recent thing.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I get it’s a thing in US sports when in practice they don’t associate positions with numbers and they go up to 99 so plenty available. I don’t think  it should be done in our game, players can change their number each year, and squad numbers are a recent thing.

It's a little weird over here, I think you could have a middle ground, say the number 6 at kr, it gets retired for 6 years, or the number 10 shirt gets 10 years, it's symbolic  

Just taking it out altogether is a lil much 

31 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Even then, retiring a number is incredibly rare.

My boys - the Chicago Cubs - have been going since 1876 and have retired six numbers, one of which is the number 42 which has been retired for all baseball clubs. That's basically one number for every thirty years of franchise history.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

My boys - the Chicago Cubs - have been going since 1876 and have retired six numbers, one of which is the number 42 which has been retired for all baseball clubs. That's basically one number for every thirty years of franchise history.

alan-partridge-american.gif.166eb4dd055021e110383813ae765a9e.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

alan-partridge-american.gif.166eb4dd055021e110383813ae765a9e.gif

The Cubs are in the National, not the American League.

Honestly, some people ...

• Haha 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Is it still a thing and if so which shirts are retired for which players. We retired the 21 shirt (we being Bradford) came back into use a few years after.

I don't think it should ever have been a thing. Why did Bradford retire ( or not as it turns out) no 21?

No disrespect  to any players who have played with any number on their back with distinction, but  if you start to retire the numbers you can soon end up with 1 to 13 retired and then it goes on

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HullWire said:

No disrespect  to any players who have played with any number on their back with distinction, but  if you start to retire the numbers you can soon end up with 1 to 13 retired and then it goes on

Funnily enough I’ve heard Hull FC have done that very thing this year.

• Haha 3

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Squad numbers in RL has never been done properly from a marketing perspective and it's a bit pointless

It means you can wear a shirt that fits, if you're a player.

I haven't seen many shirt grabbers in the past 39 years.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

I haven't seen many shirt grabbers in the past 39 years.

They've moved on to pulling shorts down instead. At least twice St Helens did that against Warrington last weekend.

They'll be wearing cycling shorts next.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Dont the MLB have a full week where every player wears 42 in honour of Jackie Robinson? Or have I imagined that?

2 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Dont the MLB have a full week where every player wears 42 in honour of Jackie Robinson? Or have I imagined that?

15 April, Jackie Robinson Day…everyone wears 42.

April 15 1947 was the day he made his MLB debut.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sam4731 said:

How many clubs reserve the number 18 for their fans?

Should be 19 now.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"